Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me keep my RoleClub-rebuilt Red Wing 2268 Engineer boots...

MMOneSix

New in Town
I recently had a size 12 pair of Red Wing 2268 engineers rebuilt by Brian the Bootmaker of Role Club. I'm a true size 13, but a 12 in RW since they run a bit large, at least for me.

Anyway, he made mention after sizing me that it would be a close cut on them after the rebuild, and he wasn't kidding. They are wearable, but as my feet swell during the day they become fairly uncomfortable, though not quite painful.

I've taken them to my local cobbler for stretching, with no luck. I cram some of the plastic shoe trees in there after wearing and really press them - to the point where the upper reaches the tip of the sole - which gives a little relief early in the next wear, but again my feet swell and the leather returns to its baseline and I'm back to square one. I've also tried gentle heating and stretching, alcohol and stretching, and a combination of the two. The leather is fairly thick and always returns, so those seem to be out.

I have about 3 weeks wear on these, and couldn't be happier with how they turned out and how they fit otherwise. So: is there a reliable, effective way to give me the half size I need in the toe, without destroying these? If not, I'm afraid that I'll have to sell them and get another pair made - the simple truth is that I'll never be 100% comfortable in them and thus never feel right with them.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

67BB99FD-4CF6-4332-95F1-8FC8BC0CE5A7.png_zpsy9sff4yn.jpeg

E1812655-2687-4FC7-B354-21E648A6192D_zpsvzlj7p7u.jpg

F34A1BE3-1820-4766-908F-7C35BB998010_zpsgoafjx4z.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I can't think of anything other than wearing them. I have had shoes take 2 months before being stretched enough. They look so good, however that I think I would just tough it out!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
They look beautiful. Shoes are pointless if they aren't comfortable. I've worn a half size too small for years before I decided to go the custom route. I don't think you will have any problems selling them.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
There's a story about a Siberian farmer who just lived a miserable life. He wore boots that were 2 sizes too small just so he had something good to look forward to at the end of the day when he took them off.

You're not that guy. Sell. Life is too short to wear ill-fitting boots. They look beautiful, but you can get another pair.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a youtube video on how to stretch a pair of shoes. I have not tried those methods but you can take a look.

Enough

One of the Regulars
You can get a little room of stretch by squirting a fair amount of isopropyl alcohol into them and on the outside areas that are tight until they are wet, put them one and take a walk until they are dry. I did this with a pair of Frye boots that were too narrow and I would say they went from a D to an E width with no indications that they were ever wet.

LouisBailie

Banned
Find someone with one of these:

Cametti.jpg

I do it all the time and can move them a full 3/4 size out and 2 letters wider easily.

moto_0669.jpg

a hockey shop or ice skate sharpener will have one...

MMOneSix

New in Town
Thanks, guys. I'm going to follow LouisBailie's lead, but if that doesn't I'll probably sell them. As much as I love them, I don't like feeling them every step I take.

ETA: Louis, what is that machine called?

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
The gentleman who rebuilt them kind of screwed you. Sounds like they lost a full 1/2 size... which is no help if you are getting footwear that fits rebuilt. Stretching, etc. is futile.

Saturdays_Kid

New in Town
Hi, this is my first post round here, hope it's ok to jump in. NMOneSix - I take it Brian did the removal of the steel toe in your 2268's? Crackin job but as others have said and you have yourself, you aint gonna get used to em as they are so maybe better to cut your losses now and sell em & move on to a pair of boots that are gonna suit you right from the off.

The reason I wanted to join in here is that a few months ago I made my first purchase of a pair of engineer's, and yeah it was a pair of 2268's. I was considering handing em over to Brian for the 'treatment' but was wisely talked out of it by some guys elsewhere in favour of putting the money towards a much longed for second pair...I'm planning on getting in on the pre-order's for the 2016 batch of Phigvel horsehide engineer's but that's another story.

Hope it works out well for you NMOneSix, whatever you decide.

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Brian did a wonderful job. There's no question he's precise and exacting in his work.

But even the best craftsmen can go a little too far with the fit adjustments. I had a great leather worker tailor a Vanson motorcycle jacket that I had to buy too large because it was rather rare.

He did a great job everywhere, but made the sleeves a tad too tight. Luckily, they have stretched out over time.

Just thinking of the obvious: I take it there is no insole in the boot? If there is, take it out for the break in, of course. And of course, wear the thinnest socks you can use right now. I also notice your buckle is tightened all the way. It really does help to loosen it, if you haven't done that already.

I say give them about 2 more weeks of wear around the house and whatever other circumstances you can stand. If they really are just "uncomfortable" and "not quite painful" that is the way they are supposed to be for a good month of regular wear.

If it doesn't work out, you will have to sell them. They are gorgeous, so you'll find plenty of buyers and recoup most of your investment, I'm sure.

Did Brian measure your foot in the part of the day when it is swelled, in the socks you prefer to use? I'm guessing that might be the advisable method for anyone considering the service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner