Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help - Need advice

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
I love my new grey Akubra squatter and I love the "bash" I put on it (see picture). However, I thought the crown looked a little high on my head. My wife, who is often wrong:D , told me that the crown looked too big for me and that it looked like I was wearing somebody else's hat. You can see the front of the crown in the pictures but probably can't see the top well. It just has a "normal" crease running down the middle. Any ideas about molding the crown differently to make it a little smaller? Perhaps a sharper crease on the front part and something different on top? It came with a 5 1/4" open crown, which seems to be pretty normal I guess. I don't have any good pictures right now with the hat on my head. Thanks for any advice.

100_1551.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1554.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1556.jpg
[/IMG]

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Ok, got a couple of quick pictures. It doesn't look as bad to me in the pictures. Also, any ideas about the brim or does it look ok?
100_1575.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1570.jpg
[/IMG]

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hmmm...I'm really not trying to be picky, honest. When convenient, go to the bathroom mirror and take another photo of yourself looking straight into the mirror. But it does appear that the height might be too tall on you.

I'll try to keep watching this thread for the next photo.

VB

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Honestly, my digital camera just died. No more AA batteries in the house. Figures. I'll try again later when I can get the camera operating again. From what you've seen do you think there is something I can or should change? I can't decide myself.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The crown height looks fine, and in those two close up shots, it even looks too short. If you want to try something, though, putting a deeper crease in the top, particularly at the front above the pinch, will help give it a lower look. And if that tapers the look for you too much, you can give it a diamond crease or a c-crown to widen out the top and lower the sides.

Brad

RBH

Bartender
Nope... the crown is just right.
Wear the hat a while before you take it down any. I think it will look fine with the suggestion Betty had about pulling the hat down closer to your ears.
That said you can alway tweak your crease and really get it like you want, I think it looks fine but YOU may want the crease a little lower.
You could sharpen the pinch, but if you do you will most lilely have to leave it that way, so I would wait on that to see what you like.

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Thanks for the input. It could be that I've grown accustomed to wearing smaller hats and it will just take a little while to adjust. I'll tinker with it some and see what happens. Thanks again.

Mike

RBH

Bartender
Bama Mike said:
Thanks for the input. It could be that I've grown accustomed to wearing smaller hats and it will just take a little while to adjust. I'll tinker with it some and see what happens. Thanks again.

Mike
Yep..thats it!
After you get used to the taller crown.. you will sell the short ones.:D

I did.

pgoat

One Too Many
RBH said:
Yep..thats it!
After you get used to the taller crown.. you will sell the short ones.:D

I did.

+1

You can get used to anything if you keep it on long enough, but I've been off the stingy brims and squashed down crowns since getting hats with more generous proportions.

ps - I think that hat looks nice! You probably just need to live in it some more and it will take on a more personalized look.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I think that Akubra looks good and agree with VB that you should try wearing it a bit lower on your head.
Brad's suggestion about a different crease is a good idea if you just can't get used to a taller crown but I agree that you should wait a bit and see how you feel after wearing it for a few days.
You'll figure it out and have a nice hat as well.
Hatty New Year!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Now you look like a defective uh I mean detective!lol Honestly though this looks better than the shorter brims and I think you could even go taller on the crown.:)

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Looks great

The crown and brim look perfect. Very good look for you. The Squatter in moonstone grey is the hat I just ordered from David Morgan. Hope it looks as good on me.

Regards,
alphy27

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks fine to me. I think you (and your wife) just have to get used to the new look. Its like a new hair style, it grows on you.;)

Johnny

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
I think ya'll are right. I think it will just take a little time to get used to a larger fedora since I've been wearing hats with shorter brims and smaller crowns. It sure is a nice hat though.

Al

One of the Regulars
For what it's worth...

... there's my two cents.

I think the hat looks great on you. As others have said "you'll get use to it." I can't agree more. Wear it with confidence, and you'll love it.

-Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80