Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help - Need Photos of Golden Age Golfers

Warbaby

One Too Many
Our local history museum is sponsoring a golf tournament next summer and they want me to design the poster. I'm thinking of doing something with golfers dressed in 1920s style. Does anyone know of a source for vintage golf pictures?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here are a couple pictures from the Esquire book- there are several pages of text too- PM if you want me to email them to you :)

Esquire's Encyclopedia of 20th Century Men's Fashions

golfer20s.jpg

20sgolfer.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Well, Warbaby is really looking for sources of multiple golf pix, which I don't know about, but I do know of a few special shots from shorpy.com, of which this is by far the best:

clic pic to enlarge
"Golfer Phillips Finlay at the Chevy Chase Club in 1929. 4x5 inch glass negative from the National Photo Company Collection."

The jacket is what makes this special. The "cape blouse" (of capeskin, aka glove leather) was a standby for active people in the 20s and 30s - to the point that the Air Corps and Navy used it as a model for their first generation flight jackets.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Big-time thanks to all of you for the pix and the leads. Haven't yet found what I'm looking for (I'm not sure what it is, but I'll know it when I find it) so more pix and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The golf tournament isn't happening until next June, so I've got plenty of time to find the perfect image.

RBH - I love the Stooges photo! I have an 8x10 color studio shot of them all playing Fender guitars - it was done for a Fender ad, though I don't know if the ad was ever produced.

Fletch - The photo of Phillips Findlay was great. And I'm thinking of changing my name...

I cropped the Findlay photo and came up with an image that really conveys the style of the era, though I'm not sure I can work it into the poster:

PhillipsFinlay_shoes72b.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
I like those a lot - that's getting close to what I'm looking for (I think). Very interesting sweater on the chap in the first pic. I want one like that!

BTW - If anyone else is interested in vintage golfing pix, I'll post what I find in the course of my searches.

Plus-Four

New in Town
cap

Yes, the cap is nice, but they are hard to find.
The caps of that era were wider then they are now.
And what you can buy now is mostly a 6-piece or 8-piece cap.
The old-ones (the top of the cap) were made from one piece.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
BobbyJones.jpg

The immortal Bobby Jones

Ouimet_and_Lowery_orig_main_story_page_pic.jpg

Francis Ouimet and Eddie lowery. A very famous picture.

Fantastic book on Ouimet: THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner