Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on U.K. shoe sizes?????

Duck

Practically Family
I need help on figuring out U.K. shoe sizes. I am looking on Ebay U.K. and I notice there is no widths listed. [huh] Also, the same U.K. size will have different Eur sizes. :eusa_doh: I wear a 13 b or c, but I can not figure out which size U.K. would be the best fit.
Any help is welcomed!!!!!!!!1

carter

I'll Lock Up
A UK size is listed 1/2 size smaller than US (i.e. 9 UK = 9 1/2 US). I usually get a narrow or medium width which is a B or a C in the US.

I have also seen equivalency charts on some UK websites.

Hope this helps.

Duck

Practically Family
That is what I was thinking, but most of the listings list a U.K. size 12 as a U.S. 13 and Euro 46 and 47. This is what is confusing me.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Duck said:
I need help on figuring out U.K. shoe sizes. I am looking on Ebay U.K. and I notice there is no widths listed. [huh] Also, the same U.K. size will have different Eur sizes. :eusa_doh: I wear a 13 b or c, but I can not figure out which size U.K. would be the best fit.
Any help is welcomed!!!!!!!!1

i find most UK shoes run a bit wide (about an F) A 13 c would be about a 12 in the UK. for a narrower width you are looking for an EX or E+

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
carter said:
A UK size is listed 1/2 size smaller than US (i.e. 9 UK = 9 1/2 US). I usually get a narrow or medium width which is a B or a C in the US.

I have also seen equivalency charts on some UK websites.

Hope this helps.

i believe it's a full size smaller. however most UK shoes do not come in 1/2 sizes

cookie

I'll Lock Up
In UK shoes they are wider per se like a US D is narrower then UK F and is actually UK E. The UK sizing is closer to the Euro sizing in dimensions. I can always fit a UK/Euro shoe better than a USA. The UK/Euro have more volume in the shoe.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
It really will depend on the last and your foot shape. Sizes and shapes will vary considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even within a single company's different lasts. For example, I normally (that is, most often) wear a US 11.5D. That's the case, for example, for Allen-Edmonds' 5 last. But in their 8 last, I wear 11E.

Whatever size you "normally" wear in US shoes, you're probably safe to assume you should go down one half to one full size for UK-made shoes. However, your results will probably vary depending on the manufacturer, style, and last.

Also, when you're shopping on Ebay, keep in mind that some companies (Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Church's, and others) make shoes for the American market with US sizing, and shoes for the UK market with UK sizing. It may not always be clear which is which.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Shoes sizes

Orgetorix that last point is valuable advice.

My point about volume is also big...the area available inside the shoe. For instance I could read the dimensions of a shoe on eBay that correspond ie a size 10 might have exactly the same external measurements (sole width and length) as a size 11. That's why personally I like a shoe to be around 4.5 inches in sole width. It tends to indictae it might be EE etc = more volume.

There is basically no Euro 44 I can't wear even with an orthotic needed. Yet in the UK I need 10 and in USA normally always 11D/E or 11.5 or sometimes 10.5 E in say an AE 5 last (eg Broadstreets). Buying shoes on eBay outside of knowing a standard like AE EG etc is difficult and prone to disappointment for the uninitiated.

Can I throw in another problem?

Vintage shoes are generally smaller in dimension than their tagged size especially from pre 1955.

Duck

Practically Family
Thanks for the help, everbody. I was skimming Ebay UK and found that there is a much greater variety of boots, that I can not find in the states.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Duck said:
Thanks for the help, everbody. I was skimming Ebay UK and found that there is a much greater variety of boots, that I can not find in the states.

What are you looking for in a "boot" Work Boot? Cowboy Boot? Dress or military boot?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Duck said:
Something like a brogue boot and / or lace up dress boot.

Hmmm Google doesn't help narrow that down much. i have had great luck with Danner boots. American made since 1932. They make a few slip-on style boots. they may be a little more western then what you are looking for.

danne148737_41875_lg.jpg

danne148724_41875_lg.jpg

I get the feeling your looking for something a little dressier. still worth noting if yor looking for tough boot.

Edward

Bartender
Vermifuge said:
i believe it's a full size smaller. however most UK shoes do not come in 1/2 sizes

It is popularly a full size smaller in the UK than the US. If memory serves, technically it is a half size, but because so few shoes are produced in half sizes nowadays, a full size down US - > UK is the de facto standard. I wear a UK 8 and in US sourced shoes typically wear a 9 with no problems whatever.

(Great avatar, BTW. Always nice to see another Joker about. :) ).

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
As far as I am aware, all makers of UK men's shoes of reasonable quality offer half sizes. The diferentiation tends to come when widths come into the equation - Clark's doesn't appear to offer a choice of widths, for example, whilst Loake and better manufacturers do. The most common system of width fittings appears to run E-G, with E being relatively narrow, F being an average fitting, and G wide. This arrangement is common to Loake, Alfred Sargent and Church's, to name three that I am familiar with. Crockett and Jones have a similar system but with E being the average width. Tricker's have a numerical system, 5 being average. Most UK shoe stores and websites tend to only carry the average and wider fittings, though (so F&G in Church's, E&F in Crockett and Jones, 5&6 in Tricker's..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112