Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Please - new to all this!

kitcatcandy

New in Town
Hi Everyone!

I'm from the UK, and have been asked to go to a party in London with a load of girl friends.

We are off to The Black Cotton Club in London, so we need to dress up 40s style.

I have a black 40s style wiggle dress (its a copy of the roland mouret 'galaxy'), a belt to go with it, some almond toe black heels and some red lippy, and a furry tippet thingy, and some seemed stockings. (You can see some of these things in my avatar image when i was messing around this weekend).

I have also just got of ebay a red velvet pillbox hat with merry widow veil.

I am going for a glam starlet sorta style, as the dressing up is quite flexible.

My questions are....

What jewelry with the outfit?
What hair with the hat?

Thanks in advance for all your help, BTW i'm from the UK.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Hi Kitcatcandy, let me say, you will have a blast at the Black Cotton Club, I went there not long ago for my birthday. It's an odd place because there are a lot of people you can clearly see dress like that on a daily basis and a lot who treat it as pure fancy dress, lots of hen nights and stuff with girls dressed in sparkly flapper costumes for instance.

If you're wearing a hat you could do your hair all in curls and just parted. Or perhaps with a small roll or two at the front (see Lolita Haze's latest pictures in the hairdos thread.

Dont know much about jewellery so I'll let another girl advise you on that.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Welcome kitcatcandy!

I´d go for curls or maybe a chignon in the back. And I think a pearl-necklace is the most glamourous think to wear and never out of place with a wiggle dress.

Maybe it would be a cute idea to have red gloves to match the hat and the lipstick or a red bag.

kitcatcandy

New in Town
Oooo thanks, I will see if i can pick up some red gloves somwhere, i already have a vintage style sparkly beaded bag so the gloves are the way to go i think.

Ok, french pleat i can't do, low sorta bun/chignon may be possible....curls keep dropping out, but im having another bash at those today as my hat has arrived!

Pearls...yeah i thought about those....maybe thats a good idea, i have some pearl earings so a string of pearls to go with them would be nice.

Thanks girls :) I will post some pictures of os all dressed up after the do :)

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
You may find this of interest, a vintage and retro fair this sunday (the 8th) at South London Pacific 340 Kennington Road London SE11 4LD from 12 to 6pm. Lots of great ideas to be had there!

kitcatcandy

New in Town
Well i tried that roller technique on my hair...looked pants...i think my hair is too short, it was rather 80s! But did give it loads of volume that meant it went into a nice pleat, so im doing that with a nice stuck up fringe thing :) looks nice with the hat.

On the weekend I picked up some gloves i am now in love with, from house of fraiser in the UK. AND they were in the sale! Got some pearls in the sale there too....lovely!

7-0014%20tb.jpg

So my outfitt is complete: Black 40s style wiggle dress, black shiny almond toe heels, furry tippet thingy, red pillbox hat, french pleat hair, red keyhole back gloves, seamed stockings, pearl earings and necklace, lots of red lippy :)

I think i am already addicted :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou