Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help removing Aero Highwayman puller/chain from zipper

sshack

A-List Customer
The slider is not meant to come apart, IIRC the model.

A set of needlenose pliers (or as someone mentioned some pruning shears) will be sufficient to rip the end loop apart to get the chain off the slider.

Weird, there's definitely some play in it (partially opens/closes) and a small hinge on the edge of the slider block.

Last edited:

sshack

A-List Customer
+1 I don't think anyone else will notice it.

Good advice, both of you. But I notice it! That's the thing about these jackets, I've learned. I honestly wear them to please myself. Sure it's fun when you get a compliment, but it's more about self-awareness of the craftsmanship (if that makes any sense). I like my jackets (watches, shoes, etc) to be made with a high level of finishing (assuming it cost a lot of $$). Fashion/style is actually secondary to me. Apologies if I come off sounding like a tool/snob.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
My new Highwayman has the solid balls. Maybe with yours they were trying to get rid of some cheap zipper stock they had acquired

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Aero has gone back to their old style of pulls as pictured above in this thread.

However, all Insurrection / Thurston Bros. jackets continue to have Aero's standard Ball and Chain pulls unless otherwise specified. I've attached a photo below to show the ball and chain pulls that we receive for our customers.

Customers can request the new "old" Aero ball and chain pull style and they'll be put on the jacket, but our default is what's pictured below.

TeoAeroCafeRacer13_zps5d85841c.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Those ball and chain pulls on a double pocket jacket always look like pasties with tassels on a dancer at a 1960's burlesque club. I thought it was just me until a young woman laughed, pointing at my cafe racer pockets one day and made the same observation.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
You're going to have to explain that one to a UK audience Seb. Tassels I can understand, but a pastie is a shortcrust pastry case with a crimped edge containing meat and vegetables.
Slightly less easy to set in motion I feel... :-S

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
To the OP I know these zips look like they should just hinge up, but I was replacing a broken zip on a jacket a few years ago with a similar style and I'm sure when I managed to get the 'hinged' part upwards it just broke off - didn't look like it had very much upward movement from looking at the broken parts. That's going from what I remember, it was a couple of years ago.

You're going to have to explain that one to a UK audience Seb. Tassels I can understand, but a pastie is a shortcrust pastry case with a crimped edge containing meat and vegetables.

I think your confusing your pasty with the posters pasties :)

Enough

One of the Regulars
I would use a diagonal cutter (dike pliers) and cut the beaded chain off just over the bigger hoop. Then thread a loop of leather lace through the hoop and you have a non-pastie pull.

sshack

A-List Customer
All great ideas... thanks guys. But I like to think of myself as mechanically inclined, and I'm humbled that I can't get the hinge on this zipper head to open up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn