Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help sizing Schott 141 and 641

Booneville

New in Town
Hi guys,

I am deciding between Schott 141 and 641. From what I have read here and elsewhere is to stay true to size, or even size down, and not size up (as recommended on Schott's website). My ideal fit is on the snug side, something like the fit shown on Schott's 641 page.

My chest (with a layer) is 45.5" and my current favorite leather jacket (a relatively thin J. Crew) is 23.5" pit-to-pit.

Schott's website recommends size 46 in 141 and size 48 in 641. This makes me think size 44 in 141 or size 46 in 641 should work.

Can any owner of Schott 141 or 641 advise?

thanks

Schambach

Practically Family
You could probably size down one more. I’m a similar chest size, maybe even a little larger and my 141 is a 42 long and fits great without being too tight . I’ve never tried a 641 but recently sold a 689h, in 44 which was also a good, but very trim fit.

Booneville

New in Town
You could probably size down one more. I’m a similar chest size, maybe even a little larger and my 141 is a 42 long and fits great without being too tight . I’ve never tried a 641 but recently sold a 689h, in 44 which was also a good, but very trim fit.
oh wow. Do you wear your 141 with the liner or a layer?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
From what I understand the Schott has big action pleats that opens up after broken in so used Schott jackets have bigger shoulder/P2P measurements than brand new ones. I am seeing almost one size difference (in width, length stays same) in measurements between broken in jackets vs brand new ones.

My J. Crew leather jacket is XL and my J. Crew blazer size is 44.

Schott runs very TTS in my opinion, and there's never any need to switch sizes around PROVIDED you actually know & understand what size you are - However! - the issue is that should you ask them for an advice, they'll oversize you & base their every consequent advice off that false presumption.
I'm a size 40 in Schott, Lewis Leathers, Vanson & Aero, Lost Worlds, etc. and every single Schott in a size 40 was perfect for me. That's my size. There's no debate about it.
Of course, both their sizing charts and actual an recommendations based on the provided measurements, given by a live person, classified me as a size 42 which is false.

Knowing I am a 40, I know that I can and should only buy a size 40 and nothing else.

From what I understand the Schott has big action pleats that opens up after broken in so used Schott jackets have bigger shoulder/P2P measurements than brand new ones. I am seeing almost one size difference (in width, length stays same) in measurements between broken in jackets vs brand new ones.

That's not how it works.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Size down 2 in 141 if you want a snug fit. I had a size 40 with a 42 chest and a tailor took out a good chunk of material to get it snug.

I didn't own 641, but because of the gussets, I bet you can size down 1 for snug fit or tts for a regular fit.

These are if you're buying new. No idea on used stuff. They change patterns all the time and people mislabel what they're selling, so in that case you have to go by the measurements.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Size down 2 in 141 if you want a snug fit. I had a size 40 with a 42 chest and a tailor took out a good chunk of material to get it snug.

There may be a caveat here. Given where you live, were you wearing the 141 with the thick fleece lining or without? I feel like it’s at least a size/half a size’s worth. Someone in a hot climate should probably size down more (and not wear the liner); but there’s a perk to this as well because the zip-in liner means that you can wear the 141 without any insulation, as opposed to something like the 641HH which has a stitched-in lining.

Booneville

New in Town
Schott runs very TTS in my opinion, and there's never any need to switch sizes around PROVIDED you actually know & understand what size you are - However! - the issue is that should you ask them for an advice, they'll oversize you & base their every consequent advice off that false presumption.
I'm a size 40 in Schott, Lewis Leathers, Vanson & Aero, Lost Worlds, etc. and every single Schott in a size 40 was perfect for me. That's my size. There's no debate about it.
Of course, both their sizing charts and actual an recommendations based on the provided measurements, given by a live person, classified me as a size 42 which is false.

Knowing I am a 40, I know that I can and should only buy a size 40 and nothing else.

That's not how it works.
OK. So, going to take a chance on a 44. Hoping it will work out. Will post fit pics in a few days once it's here.

Yango

One of the Regulars
That’s a big 42
It’s pretty normal for this jacket. I also have a 141 size 42” Long (still not fully broken in).

Pit to pit: 24”
Shoulder: 19.5”
Hem: 21.5”
Back length: 27.25”
Front length: 24”

Yango

One of the Regulars
Pit to pit on my 141 in 42 long is 24.5”. Shoulder is 20”.
Have you ever weighed your jacket? I was expecting heavier leather, after everything that I read about the 141 before I bought it… I’m not sure what the thickness of the leather is, but, my 141 weighs 4.8 lbs with the liner in.

It feels light compared to my other motorcycle jackets.

Schambach

Practically Family
Have you ever weighed your jacket? I was expecting heavier leather, after everything that I read about the 141 before I bought it… I’m not sure what the thickness of the leather is, but, my 141 weighs 4.8 lbs with the liner in.

It feels light compared to my other motorcycle jackets.

I've never weighed mine, but that sounds about right. I definitely consider it more of a casual piece than a serious motorcycle jacket. Definitely easier to wear casually than most of my other jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ