Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Panama please

edteach

New in Town
I see a lot of people complain that the size is not what they thought it was. They seem to be saying these hats come in a bit larger than the size they are advertised as. I take a 7 3/8 and the one above says seven and one half.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
good deal. Thanks. I ordered from PHD same hat as above but in my size.
I am obviously late to the game but PHD is who I would recommend as well. They are true Panama hats, meaning they are hand mode in Ecuador. Keep in mind as they are hand made you will have individual “character” to each hat. Let us know when you get it and share your thoughts.
Johnny

Jose Antonio

New in Town
I decided to buy a Domingo Carranza in his new website I want to see the cheapest grade and it is a nice 190 USD hat. I really like that crown.

Attachments

• IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • Diamante .jpg
    Diamante .jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • copa Diamante.jpg
    copa Diamante.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge!

Are you buying a hat, asking advice, or advertising his site? It’s hard to tell from the two posts you have made.

This thread and the PHD / Brent Black thread have a ton of information. Sometimes it can be hard to get through all of it, but it helps to know what you are looking for.

I decided to buy a Domingo Carranza in his new website I want to see the cheapest grade and it is a nice 190 USD hat. I really like that crown.

BrianB

New in Town
Hello gentlemen, I’ve been able to answer all of my questions with the great prior threads here in the Lounge. However, this is one I could not resolve, so I’m obliged to post.

I don’t have much knowledge about Panama hats, other than an hour or so of research and video watching. I’ve been eyeing this Beaver Brand plantation style Panacool on eBay, and I’m pondering whether the straw quality and craftsmanship is worth its $100 price tag. I assume it’s not made of toquilla palm by an Ecuadorian craftsman, but it seems to be rather fine and possibly well made. I’d greatly appreciate any insight about the quality of this hat, and if it’s a good deal for a cash-strapped 16 year old gentleman.

51481A9B-FBB6-403E-BBF6-C869AEE92891.jpeg
09B700FC-860B-45F4-873B-7389EB328B16.jpeg
D8D57FA9-F443-4F70-B780-686C13083514.jpeg
D342D934-38C1-442D-BDF8-C7CA8C4BEAA9.jpeg
755409C3-B1AF-4DEF-BC40-EC2A1767B0A3.jpeg
A56A6540-66F3-4953-BB7E-BE1EFFF8C618.jpeg

Additionally, I’d like to ask for guidance on another hat. As for an actual Ecuadorian Monticristi, this brand new fedora seems quite nice for a price of $55, but I’m wondering if it’s much of a deal at all. This one’s new, with an ambiguous tag stating that it’s genuine. There’s no photos of the underside, but I could certainly ask. I see that it’s stitched across the edge of the brim, which is not ideal, but the straw looks quite nice, so I’m not sure what to think of it. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this panama as well.

DE0B561C-9B7E-4F06-8674-9883310BD00D.jpeg
79E013F0-CD53-4C11-8EEF-2DB9DC8CF81D.jpeg

Thank you all for your time and insight.
Brian

Hello gentlemen, I’ve been able to answer all of my questions with the great prior threads here in the Lounge. However, this is one I could not resolve, so I’m obliged to post.

I don’t have much knowledge about Panama hats, other than an hour or so of research and video watching. I’ve been eyeing this Beaver Brand plantation style Panacool on eBay, and I’m pondering whether the straw quality and craftsmanship is worth its $100 price tag. I assume it’s not made of toquilla palm by an Ecuadorian craftsman, but it seems to be rather fine and possibly well made. I’d greatly appreciate any insight about the quality of this hat, and if it’s a good deal for a cash-strapped 16 year old gentleman.

View attachment 507947 View attachment 507948 View attachment 507949 View attachment 507950 View attachment 507951 View attachment 507952

Additionally, I’d like to ask for guidance on another hat. As for an actual Ecuadorian Monticristi, this brand new fedora seems quite nice for a price of $55, but I’m wondering if it’s much of a deal at all. This one’s new, with an ambiguous tag stating that it’s genuine. There’s no photos of the underside, but I could certainly ask. I see that it’s stitched across the edge of the brim, which is not ideal, but the straw looks quite nice, so I’m not sure what to think of it. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this panama as well.

View attachment 507955 View attachment 507956

Thank you all for your time and insight.
Brian
Welcome aboard, Brian!
It’s obvious that you have done a lot of homework on this purchase. Impressive!
Moreover, you are the same age as I was when I bought my first fedora (a felt “Lee,” which I still have and wear!).
That was about 50 yrs ago.
The straws you are considering are fine. My advice would be to follow your heart, navigated by your wallet. Get one that you want but can afford; unless you can submit a wish list to a supporting family…. My Mom bought me a top shelf monte when I was in my 50s.
Remember that Straws are less durable than felts, but with care and attention you can preserve it for many years.
So, for your purchase, don’t worry. Just enjoy the ride, my friend!

Unless the seller stole the hats a Montecristi .......for $50 it resides in the "if it sounds too good to be true.....". For $50 it may be a workable knockabout hat but don't expect a fine Montecristi.

I have never seen a Beaver Brand straw hat but their felts are usually good buys. Not a hat with finesse but sturdy, well made workaday hats. $100 seems a fair price, not a steal by any stretch but for that money the hat in the pics looks good.

BrianB

New in Town
Dear hatsRme and belfastboy, I greatly appreciate your input. Upon review, I’ll likely wait to find something I really want at a nice price. I tend to search for clothes and hats at a steep discount, and I’ll keep an eye out for such a deal on eBay. hatsRme, your suggestion about enjoying the ride and learning is quite true. I agree, and I like your outlook. Belfastboy, I’m glad to hear about the relative value of the hats. Your advice on these hats answered my questions well.
Thank you for your generous help.
Brian

Yamahana

One Too Many
Dear hatsRme and belfastboy, I greatly appreciate your input. Upon review, I’ll likely wait to find something I really want at a nice price. I tend to search for clothes and hats at a steep discount, and I’ll keep an eye out for such a deal on eBay. hatsRme, your suggestion about enjoying the ride and learning is quite true. I agree, and I like your outlook. Belfastboy, I’m glad to hear about the relative value of the hats. Your advice on these hats answered my questions well.
Thank you for your generous help.
Brian
I think you made a wise decision. Are you a size 7 1/4?

BrianB

New in Town
Yes sir, I am a size 7 1/4.
I’ve been looking for 7 1/4 panamas on eBay for around a month now, and it seems I found a nice deal this morning in my saved searches. It’s a like new Del Monico wide brim genuine Montecristi, and it was listed for $39, so I immediately bought it as it had been listed within the last couple of hours. I think it was a far better choice than the previous two hats I featured!

6CC91475-6F5D-4F2E-94BA-38707EB891CE.jpeg

Attachments

• 0BA39DA3-12CD-47A2-B540-20A36F6B2B9B.png
    0BA39DA3-12CD-47A2-B540-20A36F6B2B9B.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 44
  • C95CBAC6-77D6-4FC0-B8A0-8E53BFDA541D.png
    C95CBAC6-77D6-4FC0-B8A0-8E53BFDA541D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • C00D40B9-6674-443A-AB51-68D6C65F6572.png
    C00D40B9-6674-443A-AB51-68D6C65F6572.png
    1 MB · Views: 51

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been looking for 7 1/4 panamas on eBay for around a month now, and it seems I found a nice deal this morning in my saved searches. It’s a like new Del Monico wide brim genuine Montecristi, and it was listed for $39, so I immediately bought it as it had been listed within the last couple of hours. I think it was a far better choice than the previous two hats I featured!

View attachment 508626

Congrats on the new warm weather hat. Your straw hat looks sharp.

I picked the below pic from the afore mentioned vendor, Panama Hat Shop, https://panamahatshop.com/en/content/quality-grades .
Panama%20Hat%20Weave%20Grades.jpg

The pic is a clear visual of the different grades. Can you imagine spending months weaving a single hat? Perseverance to the max!

Enjoy your new hat.

Eric -

BrianB

New in Town
Carouselvic and Eric, thanks for the info. As I have seen the terms “Montecristi” and “genuine Panama hat” used somewhat synonymously, what exactly denotes the difference? Also, that chart and article about different hat grades is quite helpful, thank you for the link.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Montecristi and Cuenca (kwayn-ka) are the two primary centers of panama hat production and export in Ecuador. Montecristi is on the coast, and Cuenca is in the Andes Mountains. Better hats come from Montecristi - more hats come from Cuenca. Many (and by that, I mean most) hats labeled as Montecristi are actually Cuenca in quality, but since they are made in the city of Montecristi the hat is often labeled as genuine Montecristi for place of manufacture. Therefore, confusion is rampant because Montecristi can be used for quality or location of manufacture.

Montecristi hats are very well made. It will take a master weaver months to weave one hat body. They tend to go for high dollar. Prices start around $500 for the lesser hats and have been known to go up to $25,000. (That’s not a misprint). The average cost I’ve seen is about $1,000. There are very few sellers of the Montecristi (quality) Panama hats. One of the most trusted and best known is Brent Black. Other dealers/sellers want to compete, but Brent makes several trips each year and has some of the best weavers contracted. Anything and everything you ever wanted to know about Montecristi hats can be found at www.brentblack.com. Montecristi hats are sold by other dealers but in limited quantities and qualities.

Montecristi Panama hats are hard to find second hand - most people who have one don’t let it go. Remember; patience is a virtue, research is vital, and don’t forget luck. Armed with those three a person may be fortunate enough to get a really nice Montecristi at a fraction of the cost. I was fortunate this past winter, and it didn’t just happen once. Lighting struck six times.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Carouselvic and Eric, thanks for the info. As I have seen the terms “Montecristi” and “genuine Panama hat” used somewhat synonymously, what exactly denotes the difference? Also, that chart and article about different hat grades is quite helpful, thank you for the link.

Cuenca hats infer they are made in Cuenca, Ecuador.

Montecristi hats infer they are made in Montecristi, Ecuador.

Panama hats is a generic term for straw hats. Despite the name Panama Hats have never been made in Panama. Brief history here - https://panamahats.co.uk/panamas-guide/history-of-panamas/

Yamahana

One Too Many

View attachment 508626
I think you did well for your 1st Panama hat. It’s a good start for a young 16 year old gentleman such as your self.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran