Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Panama please

The truth

New in Town
It's been awhile! So what's the latest in good, affordable Panama hats? (Or hats in general?) It looks like PHD might be having issues. They seem to have almost no inventory at this time, for one thing. And I see a couple posts here hinting at issues. New players seem possibly on the scene. (William's shop?) I loved my biz w PHD! I so appreciated seeing pics of the actual hat. ...So what's the hot tip? My hats are getting old. I have needs! Thanks!
Yes definitely PHD is having issues but if you go to panamahatsdepot.com you will find genuine Montecristi Panama hats and yes the website is still in baby steps but it will keep growing. William has been working on hats for 20 years so he definitely will help you to get the hat you need. if you place an order he will send you pictures of the hat that arrives to his hand for you and he will send you pics of the hat in every step that goes through. You will not be disappointed

JeffOYB

Vendor
Yes definitely PHD is having issues but if you go to panamahatsdepot.com you will find genuine Montecristi Panama hats and yes the website is still in baby steps but it will keep growing. William has been working on hats for 20 years so he definitely will help you to get the hat you need. if you place an order he will send you pictures of the hat that arrives to his hand for you and he will send you pics of the hat in every step that goes through. You will not be disappointed
Thanks! William has helped me in the past...

A word of caution if he is still using the same sweats and ribbon. The ribbon is cheap and glued together. The ribbon I received had dried glue visible and was unusable. If you purchase a hat ask specifically for a better ribbon and sweat.

The truth

New in Town
Thanks! William has helped me in the past...
If you have any questions about the hats or how to place the order you can call him or write an email with your phone and he will contact you. That is the good thing of somebody “new in the market”, he will really help you and it will work really hard to get you the hat you need. Greetings

The truth

New in Town
A word of caution if he is still using the same sweats and ribbon. The ribbon is cheap and glued together. The ribbon I received had dried glue visible and was unusable. If you purchase a hat ask specifically for a better ribbon and sweat.
Yes definitely you can ask for that.

Yes definitely you can ask for that.
The weave on my super fino from PHD was quite nice. The blocking/brim break was not as crisp as it should be and the trimmings were substandard. I picked it up on the closing out sale and for the money I was satisfied. If I had paid full price it would not have represented good value. I hope the new owner raises the standards.

The truth

New in Town
The weave on my super fino from PHD was quite nice. The blocking/brim break was not as crisp as it should be and the trimmings were substandard. I picked it up on the closing out sale and for the money I was satisfied. If I had paid full price it would not have represented good value. I hope the new owner raises the standards.
It is the same owner and it will not get better trust me …

The truth

New in Town
W
What is your experience with them? Are you affiliated with them?
Well I know William Ramírez and I know he worked for PHD for 20 years and I know the PHD history complete I was there from the beginning and I am trying to help him out now with this new adventure and I know for sure he works with the weavers themselves. So I know for sure he will give you the best customer service and he will work his best to get you the best hat that would suit your needs.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
W

Well I know William Ramírez and I know he worked for PHD for 20 years and I know the PHD history complete I was there from the beginning and I am trying to help him out now with this new adventure and I know for sure he works with the weavers themselves. So I know for sure he will give you the best customer service and he will work his best to get you the best hat that would suit your needs.
You have 9 posts total on the lounge.
The total being in this thread for this shop.
After 9 posts in the last 24 hrs heralding this maker i think we all get it!!
You like this vendor.
Thank you.
But enough is enough!

W

Tell him to up the quality of his leather sweats and the ribbon/bow work. That alone will elevate his offerings.

The truth

New in Town
You have 9 posts total on the lounge.
The total being in this thread for this shop.
After 9 posts in the last 24 hrs heralding this maker i think we all get it!!
You like this vendor.
Thank you.
But enough is enough!
I was just answering questions but you are right. Have a great day

truffaux

New in Town
I know their work well - they are a discount Panama hat shop - you get what you pay for.

When looking at the weaves Brisa is the airiest and cheapest, Cuenca is a specific weave (strong, dense and fine) and Montechristi is its own thing. A lot of the time a Montechristi is advertised as such, but it could be anything. It is like the gradings - there is no real standard and everyone just makes it up to sell more hats.
Have a look here and you will understand - https://www.truffaux.com/blogs/panama-hat-advice/the-different-weaves-and-styles-of-panama-hats
Warm Regards
Oska

Last edited:

GildedTelecaster

New in Town
Can someone recommend a Panama fedora with a 2.5 inch bill and good snap around the $100 price range?

I have a Signes Panama I picked up in Madrid back in 2019, but daily use and the humidity in Japan have taken a toll, and the top of the bill has begun to fray. I paid around $200 for that hat, but since it seems I will need to buy a new one every couple years, I'd like to find a more sustainable option that still qualifies as a true Panama hat. Essentially, I'm looking for something akin to what Yamaha is to musical instruments or Toyota to cars—A no frills, legitimate Panama that doesn't break the bank, yet no one could criticize you for owning. Does this exist?

milandro

A-List Customer
A few years ago I was able to buy a Christy's jack Panama hat at a very good price , that was from a French hat discounter on line, Headict. They no longer have them.

The quality is reasonable and the price was good

this is another one I found on line , I don't know the shop that's why I won't add a link (these days you never know)

1688994866873.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot