Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a shoe colour

P

Paul

Can I ask what is the general rule for choosing the colour of your shoes, should it match the outfit or the accessories
I am particularly, what are your thoughts on the right colour of shoes to go with this late 59's / early 60's suite.
Many thanks
Paul
dior.jpg

P

Paul

I was thinking in my mind that a natural leather (tan) matching shoes and bag that could be too modern and not a vintage look.

Miss Neecerie said:
navy if you wanted to be daring.

Navy.... that is something very interesting to think about...
Thank you both

Caledonia

Practically Family
A warm beige or light tan would work for shoes and bag. I don't think you need to match shoes and bag on every occasion, but the direct colour of the outfit lends itself to it in this case. In general choose a colour of shoe that compliments the outfit rather than matching it. To elongate the legs choose the shoe colour to go with your stocking shade.

Edit: Just thought. Brown is good for this colour, mid to dark.

Annalai

New in Town
I have a dress in the same colour and I either use black shoes, black gloves and black hat etc with nude stocking with black seam on the leg.

The other way is I wear it with my cream white shoes and matching bags cream gloves and hats etc. and nude colored stockings. To this outfit I also wear a pearlnecklace.

I have shoes in the same colour and a shoes in satinfabric with flowers with roses in different pink colours some green and blue etc in the pattern they also work but I prefer the cream shoes outfit to the dress it is the one I find looks most feminine.
For the same coloured shoes I would wear a bag in silver, straw or something in some patterned fabric and not the same colour as the shoe and dress.

Annalai

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Check out what Genevieve Antoine Dariaux has to say about this in her "A Guide to Elegance" published 1964.
I thought it was fitting as it's the same era as your frock! Some of these combinations are definitely daring to say the least:p

"It may seem safe to assume that colour is an unchanging element of elegance and that certain colour combinations are recognized as beautiful once and for all. However, colour is no different from anything else; there is a question of mode; and a shade or combination which seems impossible to us today is quite likely to enchant us tomorrow. Who would ever have imagined that putty beige would become a classic outfit colour, that the rich greens and blue of medieval stained glass windows would be transposed onto all kinds of printed dress materials,or that, thanks to Dior, we would combine black with brown, navy with black, and even bottle green with black? In actual practice, a woman only needs to exercise her own colour judgement in rather a limited way. Since leather gloves, shoes, and bags are most chic in neutral shades, an elegant woman possesses a selection of neutral accessories: a black handbag, a brown one, a navy one and one of natural straw: calf shoes in black, brown, and beige. And so, where colour is concerned, all she has to worry about is selecting her hats, blouses, sweaters, scarves, and jewellery in colours which form a refined harmony with her basic garment. For those who may not feel very sure of their own taste, here are a few successful combinations:"

Pale Dress or suit colour/ Accessories colour

White- Black and all the dark and bright
shades.

Pale beige- Black,Browns, Reds, Greens

Pale Grey- Browns, darks greens, dark grey,
red.

Sky blue- Browns, dark greens, raspberry,
purple, beige, dark grey.

Pink- Beige, purple,navy,grey

Pale Yellow- Beige ,navy, brown, grey.

Mauve- Plum, brown,navy

Pale Green- Dark green, red.

Dark Dress or Suit Colour/ Accessories Colour

Black- Beige, white, toast; clear shades
but not pastels such as sky blue
or pink(with the exception of
pale yellow, but only for a hat,
worn with black shoes, bag and
gloves).

Brown- White, beige, black, orange-red,
orange, dark green.

Dark grey- Beige, black all the pale and
bright colours.

Navy blue- White, lemon yellow,turquoise
raspberry, bright green, mauve.

Dark green- Sky blue, white, beige, bright
red, pale yellow
Plum- Sky blue

Dark Red- Black, sky blue, beige.

Bright Dress or suit colour/ Accessories Colour

Blue- (with violet overtones) Black, white, bright green with a
bluish cast.

Turquoise- (blue with green overtones) White, beige, toast, navy blue.

Green (bluish)- Navyl, black, white.

Green (yellowish)- Beige, white, toast.

Golden Yellow- Black, white, brown.

Lemon Yellow- Black, white, navy, dark green
pale pink, orange.

Orange- White, lemon, black and dark
green.

Raspberry Red- Navy, white.

Bright Red ( vermillion)- Brown, white.

Purple- Brown, white, sky blue, pink,
turquoise.

P

Paul

I feel a shopping trip coming on. Thanks too you all for the help, I have now a lot better idea of what I am going to look for.
Just have to see what I can find.

Nashoba

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
Pale Dress or suit colour/ Accessories colour

White- Black and all the dark and bright
shades.

Pale beige- Black,Browns, Reds, Greens

Pale Grey- Browns, darks greens, dark grey,
red.

Sky blue- Browns, dark greens, raspberry,
purple, beige, dark grey.

Pink- Beige, purple,navy,grey

Pale Yellow- Beige ,navy, brown, grey.

Mauve- Plum, brown,navy

Pale Green- Dark green, red.

Dark Dress or Suit Colour/ Accessories Colour

Black- Beige, white, toast; clear shades
but not pastels such as sky blue
or pink(with the exception of
pale yellow, but only for a hat,
worn with black shoes, bag and
gloves).

Brown- White, beige, black, orange-red,
orange, dark green.

Dark grey- Beige, black all the pale and
bright colours.

Navy blue- White, lemon yellow,turquoise
raspberry, bright green, mauve.

Dark green- Sky blue, white, beige, bright
red, pale yellow
Plum- Sky blue

Dark Red- Black, sky blue, beige.

Bright Dress or suit colour/ Accessories Colour

Blue- (with violet overtones) Black, white, bright green with a
bluish cast.

Turquoise- (blue with green overtones) White, beige, toast, navy blue.

Green (bluish)- Navyl, black, white.

Green (yellowish)- Beige, white, toast.

Golden Yellow- Black, white, brown.

Lemon Yellow- Black, white, navy, dark green
pale pink, orange.

Orange- White, lemon, black and dark
green.

Raspberry Red- Navy, white.

Bright Red ( vermillion)- Brown, white.

Purple- Brown, white, sky blue, pink,
turquoise.

wow some of those are quite daring. Although if you match them up on the color wheel it does make sense. A great thing to keep in mind when I'm shopping!!

Rosie

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I would never in my most wildest of dreams have thought of wearing bright green shoes with a navy blue suit.

I really need to get out more.

lol I was thinking that lol I think if done well it can look quite nice. I saw a navy blue skirt suit with a sort of lime-ish blouse, quite fetching. I also saw this great skirt suit, chocolate, with hints of lime that I think I might pick up. I've been eyeing it for a while but haven't worked up the nerve to get it.

I also bought a pair of bright-ish green shoes, that I can't possibly seem to convince myself to wear and my mom suggested navy and brown to go along with them. Maybe one day :rolleyes: lol

Rosie

One Too Many
Elaborating on Paul's question a bit: My mom says my gloves, shoes and purse should match. I normally match my bag and shoes but not always my gloves. Sometimes my gloves and shoes but not my bag (though the not quite matching item is always complimentary of course). Traditionally, what is correct? All three matching exactly or complimentary colors?

Elaina

One Too Many
According to my trusty etiquette book, all three are supposed to match, within certain color combinations and dates. I'd go by the ones listed here for color, since my book is from the 1930's.

Modernly, gloves are replaced by belts, and matching is considered optional, although recommended, because so many, like myself, carry fabric purses and wear leather shoes.

Elaina

P

Paul

I do wish fashion designers made things a little easier and made accessories , shoe, gloves and bags in at least the same shade even if they are from rival companies, electrical goods have the some standards so why not fashion as far as some standard shades go!:)

Small edit:- At the moment I am leaning towards Navy, but failing that then a shoe colour to go more with my stocking shade.

Rosie

One Too Many
Paul said:
Small edit:- At the moment I am leaning towards Navy, but failing that then a shoe colour to go more with my stocking shade.

I think the stockings should be kept neutral or flesh toned in this case. With a dress that color the main colors should be the dress with accessories to compliment, you don't want to add another color into the mix. Just my opinion though.

Thanks Elaina. I've never thought of the belt replacing gloves, interesting. Dressing in vintage fashion, my belts are usually either the same color and fabric as my outfit or very complimentary and apart of the dress or outfit therefore, I never think of it as an accessory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran