Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with my husband’s hat collection

J Williams

Practically Family
Hello, I hope this is okay to post here. This is my husband’s account, I think he was quite active on here so I was hoping for some assistance. He passed away suddenly earlier this year, and left behind a collection of about 30 western/Stetson hats. I was wondering if anyone could give me some honest guidance in how to sell his more expensive hats, and also help identifying a hat he wore in our family picture. I have two infant sons so would like to save that particular hat for them. Thank you.

Oh my Lord! So sorry to hear this. I sold Justin at least one hat and we discussed the merits of several others that were up for auction. I noticed his absence, but folks come and go here quite a bit so I didn’t think much of it.

I’m so sorry for the immense loss for you and your family.

Of course we will be happy to help with what you might need to know to get the most out of these hats. eBay would be the largest market and the best chance for the highest price. There are several experienced sellers in this group that can give advice and pointers. Other experts can help with accurate descriptions, etc.

Feel free to reach out, post pictures, ask questions, etc.

I think a lot of us think about what our families would do when we also leave behind our collection of hats. This process will also help us in that regard.

Condolences,

Bob Hufford
Springfield / Cabool, Missouri

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Oh my Lord! So sorry to hear this. I sold Justin at least one hat and we discussed the merits of several others that were up for auction. I noticed his absence, but folks come and go here quite a bit so I didn’t think much of it.

I’m so sorry for the immense loss for you and your family.

Of course we will be happy to help with what you might need to know to get the most out of these hats. eBay would be the largest market and the best chance for the highest price. There are several experienced sellers in this group that can give advice and pointers. Other experts can help with accurate descriptions, etc.

Feel free to reach out, post pictures, ask questions, etc.

I think a lot of us think about what our families would do when we also leave behind our collection of hats. This process will also help us in that regard.

Condolences,

Bob Hufford
Springfield / Cabool, Missouri
Offering my prayers and condolences too, I couldn't have penned a better tribute than Bob's, you will find many here to help.
Thinking of you.
Robert.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
I am so sorry to read this, Justin was a great man who was always a joy to converse and talk ‘hats’ with. Even beyond that, he felt like an honest friend of mine that I never got the pleasure to meet in person. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.

J Williams

Practically Family
Hello everyone, thank you for all of your kind words. Justin really loved this forum and I know he’d be very grateful for the offers to help. I have a new baby and a toddler so any funds are helpful to us but I also know he would want his hats to go to a good home. He always talked about posting them on the lounge first so I thought here would be a good place to ask for help. I don’t know much about hats except for the boss Raw edge because he talked about it all the time!

Here is the hat he wore in the family photo. There are a couple of black hats so I’m not sure which one but would be glad for some input.

Attachments

• D33429EF-43F4-48AF-8614-4D18B2145264.jpeg
    D33429EF-43F4-48AF-8614-4D18B2145264.jpeg
    726.8 KB · Views: 148

jeff

One of the Regulars
Mrs JW, you have my sincerest condolences.

Here is the hat he wore in the family photo. There are a couple of black hats so I’m not sure which one but would be glad for some input.

I suspect that might be this hat he posted about in the below thread:

"Wearing my favourite hat today. Stetson No 1 Quality - very thin lightweight felt. I recently discovered this one might be as early as the 1930’s"

jeff

One of the Regulars
I'm no longer sure which is which in the family photo! I'll leave it to a "brim width" expert to figure that out.

jeff

One of the Regulars
I'd suggest keeping both of the black "pencil curl" hats for his sons, especially since they're similar.

"Also, what should I consider when choosing the other hats to keep for the boys?"

That's a question that all of us struggle with every day, just for ourselves! :)

I think once you have cataloged (with the forum's help, all his hats - e.g. brand, model, rough year made) folks here can then better suggest which ones are worth keeping vs selling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider