Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with possibly 40's leather jacket

AmyWarhol

New in Town
Hello all! I am new to this forum, I found it while doing research on a jacket that I purchased recently. I have to say, there are many handsome gents here with lots of information! I am hoping that it is not presumptuous of me to ask for some help in identifying this jacket. The leather is not as stiff as most biker jackets I have seen, but it is certainly not super soft either. The darker brown leather is stiffer than the lighter brown. The liner is shot for sure, I am looking for a good place to have it replaced. My biggest question is, can anyone tell who the manufacturer might have been and perhaps a close date? It certainly resembles the one Ronnie Reagan is sporting in the 1942 catalog, but some differences. Thanks so much in advance!

DSCF3263.jpg

DSCF3264.jpg

DSCF3268.jpg

DSCF3270.jpg

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
That really is a lovely jacket - well done for wanting to save it. The leather looks pretty parched so I would suggest looking into Pecards/Obenaufs leather oils to nourish it.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Wow that's a beauty & welcome to the FL.

I'd say that's 30's, maybe early 40's. The main zip appears to be a replacement. The original may have given a good indication of it's date. What is the lining material. Earlier jackets tend to have natural materials such as wool or cotton. By the early fifties man-made materials were becoming the norm. Does it have any labels either inside on the lining or in any of the pockets? Also might I ask how you came by it? Take good care of it as is has a fairly high value to vintage jacket lovers.

AmyWarhol

New in Town
More details, as well as purchase location and price

This is the only label I could find, it was attached to the leather under what is left of the liner.

DSCF3271.jpg

The following is a picture of where the tag used to be on the liner, up near the collar. The liner is shot, and is man made, not sure what kind of material it is. However, the pocket liners are all cottony type of material. Could the liner be a replacement? As for the main zipper, it is marked Talon which I think is from the 50's, I agree that it may have been replaced as the other zippers are not marked the same. Also, I just don't think the jacket feels "50's" to me... But I am not an expert. Inside on the leather is an orange rectangle that looks like it might have been the location of some kind of label, kind of a waxy looking substance, or old glue maybe, about 3cm x 4. The leather is marked in pencil with the number 38 (size?) and maybe the number 10 under that? That is it for markings as far as I can tell.

DSCF3274.jpg

DSCF3272.jpg

The jacket does not fit me AT ALL and never will... I had to buy it though, it called out to me. I hate to tell you, but I found it in a thrift store :D Does it hurt the value of the jacket to have the liner replaced? What would a jacket like this one go for do you think?

jon z

One of the Regulars
The label means nothing to me I'm afraid. The lining appears to be rayon so would point to the late 40s-early 50s? Style wise though it speaks to me of being earlier. As for it being replaced who knows. Does there appear to be any vacant stitch holes where the lining meets the leather which would indicate an earlier lining had been removed? 38 could well be the size. Zip it up, lay it flat & measure across the armpits. If it's 20"-21" then it very likely is. The 10 - no idea.

As it was a thrift store find I guess you paid little for it so it's a bargain regardless. As for value it's only worth what someone's willing to pay. Jackets like this on eBay can fetch several hundred of $s, some just climbing to the 1000+ mark. Size always plays an important role in the value. The Japanese love these kind of jackets but prefer the smaller sizes. If yours is a 38 or thereabouts your in luck. The US market generally go for larger sizes but this style of jacket probably wouldn't have as much appeal as with the Japanese. The poor state of the lining & the replacement main zip (if it is a replacement) would also go against it.

Having the lining replaced is what I'd do. If you do choose to do this it's worth paying the premium to have it done properly by someone who knows vintage jackets. Equally as important is to choose a period correct material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo