Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help with Schott

rikbb

Familiar Face
This was my first flight jacket, bought it second hand a few years ago.
I'm not keeping it, but before I would like to know if anybody can help me date it. Is there any model number/name?
thanks!!

R0012974.jpg

R0012966.jpg

R0012965.jpg

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd338/rikbb/jacket/R0012969.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I agree, it's early to mid-80s. Sorry, I don't recall the model number, but I had the brother model to this one.

In 1983, when I bought my old Schott, there were two models available. They differed only in the lining and collar. There was this one (plain collar and quilted lining) and the one I got (synthetic fur collar and pile lining). On both, the back had a horizontal seam across the shoulder blades, and the sleeves were constructed of three pieces (one functioning like an underarm gusset). Both were made from thick "naked" cowhide, with the same snapped epaulets, snaps at the top and bottom of the windflap, serious heavy duty zipper, double-entry pockets, and were available in black or brown.

Very, very tough jackets, and warm (at least the fur collar and pile lining one was) - I wore mine through four or five winters of NYC subway commutes.

But they were not accurate to any USAF or USN flight jacket spec - these were purely civilian jackets with military-esque styling.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
schott

The jacket you describe is a 674 MS. Your is not an early version. The snaps are stenciled schott, there is nothing on the early ones. Do you have a Talon, or a schott zipper? The back is the one that doctor Strange describes or is it an action back? Thats questions that schott forum will ask to you... I believe that the early ones are horsehide, but not sure.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
You are welcome. I eared that this kind of back give a better value to the jacket, than the bi-swing back version.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that's the two-piece back I described, not the belted back found on similar newer Schotts. And the same sleeves and Talon zipper. Definitely a classic 80s jacket.

And model 674 sounds right, gyrobroyeur.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I have a similar one, bought in 1979 and used for 20 years as a motorcycle jacket. Mine had a zip-in lining and a snap-on fur collar and Schott called it the 4-in-1. As already noted, it was a civvy jacket that mimics military issue flight jackets. I can't tell if this one has an inner zipper track or under-collar snaps. If it does, then it'd be the 4-in-1.

I should say 'had' at this point. Until recently, it still hung in my closet, having been replaced by ballistic nylon riding jackets which work better should one find oneself sliding down the road one way, and the bike another. My oldest daughter showed up at the house a couple months ago, without a coat, on a day when a cold front was blowing in. I lent the old Schott to her and she won't give it back even though it's too big for her! :p

Good thing I didn't lend her my Cooper A2 or Avirex G1! ;)

I originally bought the Schott because it was so much heavier than most other leather jackets and seemed perfect for a riding jacket with more style than most others. It surely was a good jacket if one isn't too hung up on the details in respect to the various MI jackets. :)

Later!

Stan

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
schott

Stan said:
Hi,

I have a similar one, bought in 1979 and used for 20 years as a motorcycle jacket. Mine had a zip-in lining and a snap-on fur collar and Schott called it the 4-in-1. As already noted, it was a civvy jacket that mimics military issue flight jackets. I can't tell if this one has an inner zipper track or under-collar snaps. If it does, then it'd be the 4-in-1.

I should say 'had' at this point. Until recently, it still hung in my closet, having been replaced by ballistic nylon riding jackets which work better should one find oneself sliding down the road one way, and the bike another. My oldest daughter showed up at the house a couple months ago, without a coat, on a day when a cold front was blowing in. I lent the old Schott to her and she won't give it back even though it's too big for her! :p

Good thing I didn't lend her my Cooper A2 or Avirex G1! ;)

I originally bought the Schott because it was so much heavier than most other leather jackets and seemed perfect for a riding jacket with more style than most others. It surely was a good jacket if one isn't too hung up on the details in respect to the various MI jackets. :)

Later!

Stan

Hi,
I think the jacket you're talking about is the 184 (the first release of their actual "flight jacket like". removable collar and lining is in 80's spirit. I don't think rikbb's jacket is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou