Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hem protector on a Aero jacket opnions?

jglf

A-List Customer
I don’t know why it isn’t standard to have a leather facing on the bottom hem and end of sleeves. These areas of the lining fail 2-3 times faster than the rest of it, causing relining jobs that could be held off much longer.

Cornelius

Practically Family
I don’t know why it isn’t standard to have a leather facing on the bottom hem and end of sleeves. These areas of the lining fail 2-3 times faster than the rest of it, causing relining jobs that could be held off much longer.

100% agree

Rich22

Practically Family
Does anyone here NOT agree, out of interest? It wasn't great that the leather strip was a rip off upsell at £50 back in the day, but having had that strip and not having had that strip, I'd much rather have it. That's the main area for wear and tear on lining, it seems. Regarding sagging, my jackets haven't done that, regardless, but I've seen my friends expensive leather jackets showing sagging lining and it isn't a great look. Maybe a bigger risk with woollen lining? I'd also agree with having leather lined cuffs, as that area is also prone to lining wear.

Aero must have a good reason to be so against this, and I can't imagine the 'it's not period accurate' reasoning being the sole issue?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone here NOT agree, out of interest? It wasn't great that the leather strip was a rip off upsell at £50 back in the day, but having had that strip and not having had that strip, I'd much rather have it.

Personally, I wouldn't want the leather strip (and certainly not what looks like practically a half-leather lining, here). None of my jackets (I don't own an Aero) have it, and that hasn't hurt them.

But the upsell is precisely why it has been done away with, as the proto-Simmons Bilt crew used to talk everyone into ordering a a leather reinforcement, regardless of whether or not it was necessarily or desirable, in order to bilk the customer. As a result, when the Calders took back control from the crooks, they discontinued the option.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I always thought the leather strip was bs so I didn't ask for it on my custom Field Leathers halfbelt. But within a year (of daily wear) the wool started to fray. So I now have the strip installed as an afterthought.

5F23CDB7-A030-42B9-A814-6C59E887EE85.jpeg
EC632D5D-E40C-4C39-B243-45809674D5D2.jpeg
8067AB26-AE60-4967-BFD2-32F86C3977DE.jpeg
23C0680C-721F-4BAF-B640-680A349D2958.jpeg

C807563A-FFD1-487E-8C42-FCEF626B3BA4.jpeg

Fonzie

One Too Many
I always thought the leather strip was bs so I didn't ask for it on my custom Field Leathers halfbelt. But within a year (of daily wear) the wool started to fray. So I now have the strip installed as an afterthought.

View attachment 358607 View attachment 358608 View attachment 358609 View attachment 358610

View attachment 358613
How on earth do you manage to wear that jacket daily with so many other cool jackets in your impressive (and very large) collection?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
How on earth do you manage to wear that jacket daily with so many other cool jackets in your impressive (and very large) collection?
Funny right. It certainly helps that it's perfect jacket weather here in the Netherlands. I can wear a leather jacket 10 months a year without looking out of place.
The FL is the perfect jacket for every occasion. I wear it to the office and on a Friday night out. But the main difference with my other jackets is the way it ages. The full aniline Shinki is looking better every day. The sleeve rolls are awesome and the grain is already starting to pop. And because of that, I want to wear it more so it will develop even more grain, faster. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, buy in a positive way lol. Positive reinforcement.

jglf

A-List Customer
33837FAB-10D1-440F-92CE-ED7D4A031AA7.jpeg
I kind of like how langlitz folds the bottom hem over the liner. Seems like it would be easy to replace when necessary. (Bottom jacket in pic)

When the liner in my Aero starts to fray to the point of needing replacement, I’ll probably just cut the whole bottom hem open like they did on some old vintage jackets.

View attachment 358643 I kind of like how langlitz folds the bottom hem over the liner. Seems like it would be easy to replace when necessary. (Bottom jacket in pic)

When the liner in my Aero starts to fray to the point of needing replacement, I’ll probably just cut the whole bottom hem open like they did on some old vintage jackets.
This was done on longer ones, so the strip didn’t mess with the drape of the bottom hem.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
My Aero 4-pocket CR had a 3" strip of cotton drill at the bottom of the lining, which worked very well keeping wear off the lightweight tartan lining material. It's an option on most custom-made Aero jackets. Plus that CR had the inner and outer kidney panels, which really helped.

That said, any new Aero's I buy in the future will all have Cotton Drill as the exclusive lining material.

Cornelius

Practically Family
In my experience, jacket linings have always first begun to wear out at the hem, then the underarms, then the cuff interiors. Worth noting that, from photos I have seen on this forum, certain Thedi models appear to reinforce each of these areas from Day 1, usually with corduroy.

Don't own a Thedi myself, but it's looking more and more like that will be my first "real jacket" purchase, for this among many other reasons.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
liner fabrics
VS canvas or vegtan belt
VS denim waist edge, and beltloops
VS wristwatch strap
VS leather bracelet
VS random object hanging on the belt loop (car key, USB stick, hand sanitizer bottle)

liner fabrics lose everytime.

but I guess they do it to show the tartan liner edges peeking on the cuff and hem a little, perhaps as accent, and to make the cuff an hem edges can crease or drape seamlessly with the rest of the jacket, when you have leather facing on the bottom or on the cuff, it will always show after awhile you will see the cuff where the leather is doubled looking more pristine than the rest of the sleeve, and on the body perhaps it will make the jacket less eager to drape vertically.

saying that... I have leather facing on the hem of my jackets and the cuff folded in raw vanson style, I can not have it any other way. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk