Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Her dad was a hero

RHY

One of the Regulars
HER DAD WAS A HERO
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Dec 12, 2011 StarAdvertiser.com

An Oklahoma woman learns her father commanded nisei soldiers in the 100th Infantry

By Dan Nakaso

Retired Air Force Master Sgt. Vikki Powell arrives on Oahu Thursday to fill in the gaps about the father she never knew — a soldier who Powell only recently learned had been awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart for leading Japanese-American soldiers into battle in World War II.

Powell's entire picture of her late father — Army Capt. James Clyde Vaughn — pivoted into a decidely different perspective two months ago when she discovered the citation that accompanied her father's Silver Star in the face of machine-gun and mortar fire in Italy on October 1943 when he was a second lieutenant with the famed 100th Infantry Battalion:

"When the time came for withdrawal, Lt. Vaughn, although wounded, remained behind until certain that all of his platoon had safely withdrawn," according to the citation. "Seeing some of his men pinned down by an enemy machine-gun, he personally accounted for the enemy gunner with his pistol, thus silencing the gun and enabling the men to withdraw. Lt. Vaughn's courage and leadership under fire was highly meritorious and a credit to the Armed Forces of the United States."

For Powell, a 20-year veteran of the Air Force, the discovery that the father she grew up not knowing had won the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts with the 100th Infantry Battalion changed her opinion and made her want to fly from her home in Oklahoma City to Hawaii for the first time to honor him.

"You have absolutely no idea what this did to me, having served 20 years in uniform myself," Powell said on Sunday via telephone amid tears. "To see that my dad did this heroic thing …"

Nisei soldiers from the 100th Infantry Battalion, 442nd Regimental Combat Team and Military Intelligence Service were presented with the Congressional Gold Medal in Washington on Nov. 2, and Powell will be among those honoring the veterans at a Waikiki parade at 10 a.m. Saturday, followed by a banquet at the Hawai‘i Convention Center.

She plans to bring pictures of her father — who died in Tucson, Ariz., in 1990 at the age of 71 — to jog the soldier's memories and to learn more about the man she never knew.

Powell also plans to write a letter to her father and place it before his ashes at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl.

"I've gone 57 years with having half of me that I know nothing about," Powell said. "I never had anybody to call Dad. I grew up thinking he was probably not a good person. In the past two months I found out that he was a hero. … It's been an emotional journey."

Powell's search for answers about her father might reveal more details about one of the lesser-known aspects about the storied nisei 442nd, 100th Battalion and MIS units: the Caucasian officers who led their platoons.

"I know there were a lot of people who did tremendous things during the war," Powell said. "But to me my father was John Wayne."

It's a new point of view for Powell.

She was raised in a military family by a stepfather — and a mother who had served in Britain's Royal Air Force during World War II. Her mother died in 2001 after offering little information for Powell about her biological father.

"I always knew that I was adopted, but my mother was very private and didn't share a lot," Powell said.

In 1992, Powell's half sister was doing her own genealogical research when she discovered that Powell's biological father had died two years before in Tucson.

"When I 38 years old, I finally started to find out some information about my father," Powell said.

She was stationed at Nevada's Nellis Air Force Base at the time and drove to Tucson to meet with Capt. Vaughn's widow. There she saw photos of a 6-foot-tall, blue-eyed man in an Army uniform.

"I'm 5-10, so I knew where I got my height," Powell said. "My mother had blue eyes and I had blue eyes. I could see the resemblance."

Among the widow's photos was the only picture known to exist of Powell as a baby.

"I happened to have that photo, as well," Powell said.

Vaughn's widow told Powell that he had been stationed in Hawaii during the Japanese attack on Dec. 7, 1941. But she provided no information about what happened next to Vaughn's Army career.

The photos also offered another puzzle.

In some of the pictures, Vaughn wears the stripes of an Army staff sergeant. In others he's wearing captain's bars.

Years passed before Powell learned that her father had served with the 100th Infantry Battalion.

Now she's boning up on the history and nomenclature of the nisei units and has asked the Army for all of her father's war records.

But the richest information might come from the veterans she'll meet this week who served with her father in combat in Europe.

"Who are these nisei soldiers?" Powell asked rhetorically. "What is this all about? So far, with what I've learned, I'm overwhelmed."

Copyright (c) Honolulu Star-Advertiser

RHY

One of the Regulars
Letter captures pride of WWII vet's daughter

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Dec 19, 2011 StarAdvertiser.com

By Dan Nakaso

Vikki Powell stood on the wet lawn of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific on Sunday and read a letter out loud to a father she never knew.

After an emotional week meeting World War II veterans who served with her father, Powell woke up at 3 a.m. on Sunday and poured 57 years' worth of feelings into a letter.

She told Capt. James Claude Vaughn that she was sorry they never met — and sorry that neither of them got to experience a father-daughter relationship.

But after learning about her father from the nisei veterans he led into combat as a Caucasian Army officer, Powell finally told Vaughn that she was proud to be his daughter.

"I'm your daughter," Powell told her father, who died in Tucson, Ariz., in 1990 at the age of 71. "Always have been. Always will be."

Powell then tucked the letter into an envelope and left it at his grave marker — excited at what she'll learn next from the relationships she made with the nisei soldiers in Honolulu.

Just two months ago, Powell discovered that her father earned the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts while leading Japanese-American soldiers into combat.

She made her first trip to Hawaii on Thursday to learn more about her father as the nisei veterans were presented Saturday with replicas of the Congressional Gold Medal that had been bestowed on some of the veterans of the 100th, 442nd Regimental Combat Team and Military Intelligence Service in Washington, D.C.

Everywhere she went to honor the veterans — at a Waikiki parade, at a banquet and at a Sunday ceremony at Punchbowl — Powell was treated like family.

"People were putting leis on me and wanting to have their picture taken with me," Powell said. "I said, ‘This is not about me. It's about my father and your father and all of your uncles and brothers.' Everyone told me, ‘You're part of the family now.'"

On Friday, Powell showed up at the 100th Infantry Battalion clubhouse, where she saw a photo of her father as a lieutenant.

One veteran at Saturday's banquet remembered Vaughn for a seemingly simple act.

"He told me, ‘Your father had a chance to not be with us.'" Powell said. "Not all the Caucasian officers stayed with the nisei soldiers. He said, ‘Because your father chose to remain with us and went with us to North Africa and into Italy, he was respected.'

"It meant a lot to them," Powell said. "And it meant a lot to me to hear that."

Powell learned from a nisei veteran recently that her father was an enlisted man at Schofield Barracks during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, and was attached to a unit that later became the 100th.

Vaughn joined the nisei soldiers on the trip to California, en route to Camp McCoy, Wis., the veteran told Powell, but Vaughn was then sent to Officer Candidate School.

Powell later learned from sons and daughters of nisei veterans that she was getting more firsthand information than many of them had gathered in the decades following the war.

"To have any of them share anything with me has been a blessing," she said.

Powell now plans to return home to Oklahoma City.

Copyright (c) Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner