Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here is my 1940s Barbershop:

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Gee! What a swell place! I wish there were more barbershops like that around here. I mean, a haircut and straight razor shave standard, barbershop. Thanks for sharing. I second Lucky Strike. I'll be number two! ;)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
=Clipper= said:
Gee! What a swell place! I wish there were more barbershops like that around here. I mean, a haircut and straight razor shave standard, barbershop. Thanks for sharing. I second Lucky Strike. I'll be number two! ;)

;)

He calls in a "saloon" not a "salon"

lol

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
This is my barbershop. It is a 1940s shop. Not a "retro" or "inspired". Just 40s!

Mr. H, do you own the shop, or are you a patron?

I notice they do singeing and I've always wondered about that (I've seen it mentioned in several old movies, but I don't quite grasp what sort of process it is).

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
WH1 said:
I am going to be in Dublin later this month. Please what is the address of this shop? I may have to make a trip.

Go to Westmoreland Street, (just off O'Connell Bridge). Next door to Bewleys in the basement.

Ask for Liam Finnegan. He's the proprietor. Tell him that I sent you (he will know me if you mention that I am the tall guy who wears vintage hats and drives a 1941 Buick).

Here's the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....259117&spn=0.011554,0.037422&z=15&iwloc=addr

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
skyvue said:
Mr. H, do you own the shop, or are you a patron?

I notice they do singeing and I've always wondered about that (I've seen it mentioned in several old movies, but I don't quite grasp what sort of process it is).

I am a patron.

The singeing is great fun, but not practical for every time. Bill Clinton likes to get it done (another patron).

How it works is that the barber lights a long thin wax candle. He then uses a comb to mark out the hair that is to be cut. The candle is run along the comb under the hair, which burns off. Apparently it is great for conditioning the hair because it seals up the hair ends.

;)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I've been wondering about that for a long time (I've even asked barbers about it, and they had no idea).

Must smell up the place pretty badly, though.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
No smell really from the singeing.

To be honest there is a great smell about the place and a great buzz.

Between all the vintage towel steamers and the tonics and talcs etc., it's great.

WH1

Practically Family
In Iraq on Camp Fallujah one of the barber shops is run by Turks. They will use a straight razor to shave the sides and then burn your ear hairs by using a cotton swab soaked in alcohol, lit on fire and dabbed on the ears. First time is a little unnerving but it does a good job.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Cool looking place! Wish I could find a barber like that around here.

A video of a barbershop in Chicago came up after that video finished. It's the Belmont Barbershop, and they're a couple of barbers who decided to go back to basics. Members in Chicago might want to check it out.

Regards,
Tom

marilynfan

New in Town
very nice!

Looks like an awesome place. I love how it has all those little authentic touches. but i just have to ask was that the sesame street theme music playing!?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
marilynfan said:
Looks like an awesome place. I love how it has all those little authentic touches. but i just have to ask was that the sesame street theme music playing!?

lol lol lol

Ha ha! You're right about the music! I had not noticed that.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
This is my barbershop. It is a 1940s shop. Not a "retro" or "inspired". Just 40s!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gp5N-zGU2w8

;)

Wow... I just found this thread, guess I missed it back in June. What a classy looking joint. You don't see too many like that here in the States.
Have often thought I would like to open a classic barbershop and start my own business. These traditions need to be kept alive.............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran