Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's to you Root!!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Corrected-

Art Fawcett said:
T...BT, could you clarify what you think is absolutely correct? Not sure what you are agreeing with.

Did I do a bad...?

"Correct"- as in: "... true or accurate"-
-in regards to my expectations of 'your' hat and what I equate with a hat that marks the era(for me).

I just thought it was a good word- supposed to be positive... apparently, maybe not such a good choice.
Sorry to put you in any doubt

It would also look great with a slight curl to the brim edge- like the example
in JP's posted image.

I like the hat Art.
Like it a lot!

B
T

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Ah...

Okay, I see what I did. I looked, but didn't read! Here's his original pic:
knapphat.jpg
which I prefer. (even tho that cleft chin is a bit much) Sorry, Wild Root.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

That hat looks fantastic! It epitomises the 30's look and style.

May I ask what number block did you use on it? It is very untapered fore and aft, which is what helps so much with the 30's look.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
thanks Zohar..the block is a #52, straight sided standard 30's 40s' block. Makes for a crisp roll at the top of the crown.

BT, sorry, I misread your post , posted my reply, then reread your post and edited mine. Don't know what my mind was reading but it wasn't correct. Thank you, I can't ask for more than being correct for the era. This was actually a design first offered in 1930 as best I can tell from my research and was carried till at least 1935 (where I stopped looking). Also, you are right about the brim curl. I used a snap brim flange with this one but the felt is SO soft that it has a hard time holding it. I will be playing more with it today.

Craig, I'll play with the pinch a bit & see what I can come up with and you are right, it would look classier with a bound edge. I'd be happy to add it for you but I have a bit of a dilemma in that I have guys asking for unbound brims also. I think the best approach might be to keep the original design unbound but offer it to the client as an option.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:
thank

Craig, I'll play with the pinch a bit & see what I can come up with and you are right, it would look classier with a bound edge. I'd be happy to add it for you but I have a bit of a dilemma in that I have guys asking for unbound brims also. I think the best approach might be to keep the original design unbound but offer it to the client as an option.

Works for me. That would be "Version 2 with the bound edge and C block"

Wild Root

Gone Home
Craig Robertson said:
(even tho that cleft chin is a bit much) Sorry, Wild Root.

Why I oughta.... :p

I'll let that one slide, but let’s remember that the focus is on the hat!

Art, that's a nice looking hat! Very well done and the name isn't too bad but, might I make a suggestion, I've loved these tall crowns from the time I saw them in the original film "42nd Street" so, I think you should call it "The 42nd St"! That fits its style better seeing that Jazz men wore wider brims with big feathers.

I've seen that bow treatment in original ads, I my self like more of a regular bow much like the one on my original tall narrow brim Stetson.

1111174img3du.jpg

=WR=

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Marc, no can do on the Cav edge...not possible for me or anyone else. That has to be done during the felting process.
Root, you must have a different vision of what "Jazzmen" wore back then. My minds eye sees something different.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Hey, Art...can you explain to me the process behind the "cavanaugh edge"...and why it's not able to be reproduced today....? I'd love to know.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Craig Robertson said:
Hey, Art...can you explain to me the process behind the "cavanaugh edge"...and why it's not able to be reproduced today....? I'd love to know.

A quick search for "Cavanagh" got me these threads. Brad Bowers is our resident expert on the Cavanagh Edge, if I recall correctly.

http://thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=4993&highlight=cavanagh

http://thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=3589&highlight=cavanagh

http://thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=1268&highlight=cavanagh

Wild Root

Gone Home
I said that because...

Most people would (besides us) associate the name "Jazz" with the term "Zoot". So, if you want to step up the class of the hat, I'd call it "The 42nd St" or "The Boss" seeing most men of the mob wore them in those early days of the Depression.

Trust me, when I saw your hat, "Jazz" wasn't the first thing that came to mind.

"side by side, they're glorified
Where the underworld can meet the elite,
Forty-Second Street".

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner