Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey New Yorkers - need a recommendation

Doublegun

Practically Family
In the city and looking for a good old-fashion Italian restaurant in Little Italy. You know, small family run really good traditional food, not a tourist trap. Suggestions, Please.

Thanks

Yeah, you need a time machine to find that. If you want Italian, have dinner in another neighborhood and then go to Little Italy (or, rather, what's left of it) for pastry (and really, I can't even recommend anywhere for that).

Though my favorite Italian joints are in Brooklyn and Queens, I still like to go to Tanti Baci in the West Village a few times per year. As mentioned, Il Vagabondo is pretty damn good, too.

Regards,

Jack

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You could try Fedora's in the Village. We had a Lounge meet up there last year, and had a great time. It's one of those classic Greenwich Village places that won't be around a whole lot longer. But I must say, the food was undistinguished at best.
0320092202.jpg

One the other hand, I recently discovered a very posh and super delicious place on the upper east side, called Due (pronounced doo- ay, in Italian).
http://duenyc.com/
When I was there last year, Alan Alda walked in and had dinner. As I said, really deeelish.
If you want a nice old fashioned Italian restaurant with good food, try Brooklyn. A couple places I could recommend: Red Rose, on Smith Street, and Marco Polo on Court St.
And a great place in the Bronx's version of Little Italy, the Belmont section (remember Dion and the Belmonts?) is called Antonio's Trattoria.
http://www.antoniostrattoria.com/main.htm
Ask for Michael or Joe, and tell them Dan sent you.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You don't mean Mamma Leone's? I think it's gone now, but for many years it was the most infamous tourist trap in New York. I never ate there, but from what I heard, the food was bleccchhh. About as authentic as a can of Chef Boyardee.

Foofoogal

Banned
you people are killing me. I have not eaten a good Italian meal in over a year. I used to go every Wednesday to eat at a place called the Pizza Shack [huh]
Marsala, Riggazi, all kinds of good Italian food. In Willis Texas outside of Houston.
:eek:fftopic:
Somewhere right outside of Washington D.C.
West Virginia? there used to be a strip of restaurants right across the street from a Marriott?
There was a family Italian restaurant like that. Best meal I ever have eaten in my life. Ever.
I wonder if anyone knows what I am talking about and if it is still there?
Once you eat a real Italian meal from someone that knows what they are doing there is no replacement for it.
Same with good Gumbo but that is another thread. lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The great thing about Italian food is that anyone can master the basics with a little effort. As long as you can get good tomatoes, good olive oil, fresh garlic and fresh basil, you're in business. You can branch out in all directions from there.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Thanks for the replies. With the rain and the fact we were exhausted we ended up going to Lombardi's on Spring. It really was not what I was looking for but the pizza was good.

We try to make it to the city at least 2-3 times a year and we had a great time. Three shows, lots of walking and eating. Sorry to hear that Little Italy has all but disappeared. Progress?

Cheers,

DG

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Lombardi's is not so bad! We had a great meet up there a couple years ago when Salv was in town from London. Will you still be around at the weekend? If so, come down to Club Wits End at 54th and B'way, at the Flute Champagne bar, on Saturday night.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BTW, we've had some fine pizza as well as good meals at http://lazzaraspizza.com/ in Midtown.

IlVagabondo is a fine choice as long as you dont mind going out of the way to the UpperEastSide. Matt Deckard & MK seemed to enjoy it when we took them there a few years ago.

Or you could try one of the oldest spots in NYC , but its up in Spanish Harlem, the original 75 yr old Patsys, but dont bother with the other locations, they are a chain. The original is still owned by the family and is separate. And yes, its a full restaurant, not jsut Pizza. I believe its the original tha tSinatra frequented
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/patsys-pizzeria01/
http://cheapassfood.com/eats/show/227-east-harlem-patsys-pizzeria-the-original-patsys
3918521782_64baacccff.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Lombardi's is not so bad! We had a great meet up there a couple years ago when Salv was in town from London. Will you still be around at the weekend? If so, come down to Club Wits End at 54th and B'way, at the Flute Champagne bar, on Saturday night.

No. Back in Michigan. We'll be back out again in June. I am already looking forward to it.

Cheers,

DG

Corto

A-List Customer
If you want the best Italian in NYC, you're going to have to go to Hoboken. :) There's a place called "Leo's Grandevous" (http://www.leosgrandevous.com/) which is about as old school as a family run Italian restaurant can get. Get the gnocchi.

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
My favorite place is Don Peppe in Ozone Park, Queens near JFK airport. Real Sicilian Mafioso joint that's been around forever. It was Goodfella's Henry Hill's favorite restaurant. They serve it family style with lots of garlic and olive oil. The best homemade wine, baked clams and linguine and white clam sauce I have ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner