Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi new here. Is wearing a leather jacket basically an invitation for trouble?

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
I know certain jackets and stuff basically are a signal to someone that you are willing to get into trouble. Like, you're not seeking it, but trouble finds a way to you.

My personal favorite jacket I wish to buy is a leather Schott Perfecto but I feel this is too tough and if I wear it, someone will try to target me to fight (not even necessarily to steal the jacket but to test somebody)

I also remember a jacket like the wool peacoat can also be worn in a way where you are ready to physically get into an altercation. If work unbuttoned, this signals to other men you are ready to do battle.

I understand this thread seems silly but these factors are kinda keeping me from buying a leather jacket, especially the double rider style. I don't wish to get into fist fights but wish to wear for my own personal taste and style. Simple, yet classic and cool looking.

Any thoughts to this? Any credence or personal experience to what I have mentioned here? Thanks guys and girls!

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
I think it depends more on your attitude than anything else. Also there is a difference between going to a bar where only motorcycle gangs dont hang out versus the mall. You are probably overthinking this though.
I will not be going to any biker bars or establishments meant for motorcycle gangs, etc. I will be wearing it for everyday use, so going to work, hanging out with friends at cafes/fast food places, taking transit like the trains and buses.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I will not be going to any biker bars or establishments meant for motorcycle gangs, etc. I will be wearing it for everyday use, so going to work, hanging out with friends at cafes/fast food places, taking transit like the trains and buses.
I have never had any issue personally doing similar things

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No one cares. Really. At most people will think it's a cool shiny zipper.

But if you're that self-conscious about people jumping you for your outfit, I'd be concerned that comes through in your body language (no matter what you're wearing).

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
The Schott Perfecto is a bit of a statement jacket. It is elite-level cool and does have a bit of attitude about it. Before you make the big investment, just be honest with yourself and make sure that you’re actually ready to wear one out in public. If you’re unsure, maybe another style that’s a bit more easy going or casual would be a better place to start. As someone else mentioned, a brown leather jacket is a bit more “laid back” feeling.

If you’re ready to test the waters, there’s always good deals on nearly new Perfectos bought by people that found them a bit too biker looking or simply weren’t able to confidently pull off the look. Personally, I think the Perfecto is the greatest jacket of them all. If you’re going to do it, might as well go all in and get a nice shiny horsehide model.

barnabus

One Too Many
I know certain jackets and stuff basically are a signal to someone that you are willing to get into trouble. Like, you're not seeking it, but trouble finds a way to you.

My personal favorite jacket I wish to buy is a leather Schott Perfecto but I feel this is too tough and if I wear it, someone will try to target me to fight (not even necessarily to steal the jacket but to test somebody)

I also remember a jacket like the wool peacoat can also be worn in a way where you are ready to physically get into an altercation. If work unbuttoned, this signals to other men you are ready to do battle.

I understand this thread seems silly but these factors are kinda keeping me from buying a leather jacket, especially the double rider style. I don't wish to get into fist fights but wish to wear for my own personal taste and style. Simple, yet classic and cool looking.

Any thoughts to this? Any credence or personal experience to what I have mentioned here? Thanks guys and girls!
Don't buy one!

It's just not worth the risk.

Unless you are trained and prepared to utterly destroy any foe.

I walk around in bell bottoms and 70’s wide collar polyester polos. The only comments made to my face are typically from women and usually very complimentary, though I’ve no doubt their boyfriends think otherwise, but they certainly don’t make it known. Schott perfecto is essentially a north face or finance bro vest by comparison.

I wouldn’t worry about it. That said, if you are, you’ll never wear it anyway.

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
The Schott Perfecto is a bit of a statement jacket. It is elite-level cool and does have a bit of attitude about it. Before you make the big investment, just be honest with yourself and make sure that you’re actually ready to wear one out in public. If you’re unsure, maybe another style that’s a bit more easy going or casual would be a better place to start. As someone else mentioned, a brown leather jacket is a bit more “laid back” feeling.

If you’re ready to test the waters, there’s always good deals on nearly new Perfectos bought by people that found them a bit too biker looking or simply weren’t able to confidently pull off the look. Personally, I think the Perfecto is the greatest jacket of them all. If you’re going to do it, might as well go all in and get a nice shiny horsehide model.
This sounds silly, but I think my second jacket choice is whichever one Tom Welling wore in season 6 episode of Smallville, where he fought WWE alumni Kane. It's a Schott racer style jacket with the large single back panel, and gussets. It's a 141 or 641. I think this should be easier to pull off.

Whichever style, whether Schott Perfecto model or racer, I would likely wear in black, BUT I will try to act my regular self in my regular self. Confident but not angry or walking like I want to punch somebody.

My worry is if I wear perfecto, I would consciously or unconsciously change my mannerisms and behavior in order to look like I can wear the jacket or be "tough enough". I am now leaning more towards Schott racer

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Wow - I never thought wearing a particular style of leather jacket would provoke an altercation. How did you come by this point of view? I see many people (locally & in the media) that are all tattooed up, piercings everywhere there is skin and attire that makes me wonder if they were extras in a Mad Max movie! But, mostly, they are just regular people with a unique sense of self that is reflected in their appearance. I prefer a more discreet, unassuming image and adding a leather jacket to the mix helps spice things up a bit - at least for me. Maybe jump in on a beater leather jacket in the style you are concerned about and see if anything develops.

Life is too short - take a walk on the Wild Side!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I walk around in bell bottoms and 70’s wide collar polyester polos. The only comments made to my face are typically from women and usually very complimentary, though I’ve no doubt their boyfriends think otherwise, but they certainly don’t make it known. Schott perfecto is essentially a north face or finance bro vest by comparison.

I wouldn’t worry about it. That said, if you are, you’ll never wear it anyway.
You are blazing your own path, while we are just a bunch of me-too leather jacket bros...so yesterday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner