Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi new here. Is wearing a leather jacket basically an invitation for trouble?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not a problem at all. The bigger issue would be if you wore a motorcycle vest aka a kutte with a symbol or logo on it. That can get you beat up or much worse. A plain leather jacket, even if it's a motorcycle jacket is not even slightly an issue.

Yeah I've mentioned before that some of the Japanese repros that have gang colors (even fictional) painted or embroidered on them are not a good idea for customers outside of Japan.

Nacho

Practically Family
Not a problem at all. The bigger issue would be if you wore a motorcycle vest aka a kutte with a symbol or logo on it. That can get you beat up or much worse. A plain leather jacket, even if it's a motorcycle jacket is not even slightly an issue.

I see motorcycle club members, including outlaw club members where I am and you basically don't see them wearing full leather jackets anyway. Their vests/kuttes are the important thing. So you're fine with any plain leather jacket no matter the type.

This reminds me of Sons of Anarchy. Great freaking show! :cool:

Are the Angels, Mongols and Pagans still active in Cali, Jake? They had a big rivalry in the 90s, especially between the Angels and Mongols. We have an Angels chapter here, but you don’t hear them on the news that often.

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
No one is looking to fight you on a daily basis with or without a leather jacket.
If you're finding yourself in settings where you think people want to fight you, you can remove yourself from the situation, or maybe consider better places/people to hang out at/with.

I wear a leather jacket, I live in a major city, and I find myself at dive bars all the time where you would expect questionable people, but majority of the time, people don't care what you're wearing let along want to fight you for it.

If your mindset is looking for a fight then it will find it, but it's not actively looking for you unless you're acting in a way that it does.

Project a positive attitude and people will act accordingly. Same thing if you're a jerk to people
do you have a good comeback? People have asked me that several times. I just say something along the lines of “I don’t have one, I just like the style.”
But I’d like to say something fun and snappy

No one is looking to fight you on a daily basis with or without a leather jacket.
If you're finding yourself in settings where you think people want to fight you, you can remove yourself from the situation, or maybe consider better places/people to hang out at/with.

I wear a leather jacket, I live in a major city, and I find myself at dive bars all the time where you would expect questionable people, but majority of the time, people don't care what you're wearing let along want to fight you for it.

If your mindset is looking for a fight then it will find it, but it's not actively looking for you unless you're acting in a way that it does.

Project a positive attitude and people will act accordingly. Same thing if you're a jerk to people.
My city has an uptick in a holes since 2020 era. More random attacks and stabbings to regular people. More open drug use too. More hate crimes against gays and trans. Sometimes I have to act slightly tougher even though I'm not just as a defense tactic. I still want to wear leather as style more so than avoiding conflict, but leather jacket's history and stigma of being for badass/tough girls and guys still lingers in my mind

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
Yeah I've mentioned before that some of the Japanese repros that have gang colors (even fictional) painted or embroidered on them are not a good idea for customers outside of Japan.
It's never a good idea to wear gang colors or anything with logos unless it's "support gear" and even then, if you walk into a territory that is run by a particular gang and they recognize you, you are sol. I don't support any gangs, biker gangs, etc. They do their own thing and that's fine I guess.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
My city has an uptick in a holes since 2020 era. More random attacks and stabbings to regular people. More open drug use too. More hate crimes against gays and trans. Sometimes I have to act slightly tougher even though I'm not just as a defense tactic. I still want to wear leather as style more so than avoiding conflict, but leather jacket's history and stigma of being for badass/tough girls and guys still lingers in my mind
Uh. It ain’t the 70s no more and you should probably get your head out the gutter with these odd stereotypes over clothing.

I live in a city where they have a place called methadone mile. Open drug use and selling. I’m not hanging around in those areas or looking for it, nor do I feel I need to put on a facade for people.

mumpy

A-List Customer
You should consider buying a bomber jacket instead so you can be the one beating people up :p

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
I have been wearing cross-zip motorcycle jackets for decades. I have yet to ever face anyone even slightly angry, disturbed, enraged, or deranged by the sight of any of my jackets on me. some family members initially gave me a slight bit of a hard time about some of them, but now they even just really like these jackets - on me. Maybe try wearing a bit more upscale clothes under the jacket? Such as this...(I only rarely wear a tie these days)
View attachment 564797

One thing I do is intentionally up the "positive" nature just a little when I have a leather jacket on. For example, insuring that I do indeed hold the door for anyone coming behind me. Or making sure to thank a casher at the store, and by name if that is possible. If you would like some other suggestions, maybe give this book a try:
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/207500
I will take a look at that Goodreads link, thanks. You look professional here, so you're obviously not seeking a fight. You don't worry that some random will see you with this style of leather one day in the future?

I understand violence, and random people picking on other random people for fights can happen to anyone regardless of way of dress or even if one's attitude is neutral.

I don't know why, but watching old movies (not Wild Ones specifically) all the bikers in gangs wore black racers and perfectos.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Bomber leather jackets and even nylon ones are too casual and no one bats an eye. It's clean but too plain imp
Shave your head, put on some red Dr Martens and your favourite bomber jacket!

My point is, there are many stereotypes and situations you can imagine but that doesn't mean that they can happen in reality. Honestly, if you think that someone will beat you up for wearing a leather jacket, I can't imagine you are totally cool in any other piece of clothing. In reality it may never happen or it can happen even while wearing a t-shirt.

Build up your confidence, go learn some martial arts or hit the gym, I am not sure what other advise you are looking for here.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yup! That'd why I made sure to say "plain" leather jackets. That part is important.
This reminds me of Sons of Anarchy. Great freaking show! :cool:

Are the Angels, Mongols and Pagans still active in Cali, Jake? They had a big rivalry in the 90s, especially between the Angels and Mongols. We have an Angels chapter here, but you don’t hear them on the news that often.
I do see Mongols decently often and I have seen Angels a couple times as well, but not for a while.

Okay, to add something constructive, provided the OP isn't trolling - 99.99 percent of people won't notice your tough, cool looking Perfecto for anything more than a generic black leather jacket. Not even for a motorcycle leather jacket. If you showed them a photo of an Aero Highwayman and ask if that's the jacket the dude was wearing, they'll say yep, that's it, it was a black leather jacket just like that one.

For the rest who will care far enough to distinguish it from any generic black leather jacket style, your cross-zip will speak any or all of these things about you...

You're into rock/metal music
You ride a motorcycle
You are having a mid-life crisis
You're shopping discounted fast fashion

That's all. Nothing else. Except maybe if combined with the rest of that vintage ensemble, than it says you're one of those 50's Rockabilly / vintage clothes aficionados which also isn't an invitation for trouble though it kind of might be because that's some serious nerd territory.

panigale

New in Town
I have been wearing black leather jackets for 35 years.

No one ever started trouble with me over my choice of outerwear.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
That's all. Nothing else. Except maybe if combined with the rest of that vintage ensemble, than it says you're one of those 50's Rockabilly / vintage clothes aficionados which also isn't an invitation for trouble though it kind of might be because that's some serious nerd territory.

This is me, I always play it out in my head how I would geek about talon zippers or long forgotten production methods or US companies.

But no, instead of that all I get is 'neat jacket'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy