Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hidden placket

volvomeister13

One of the Regulars
I recently came into possession of a dark blue wool overcoat with peak lapels that I think is from the thirties. The union tag looks like the '36 or '39 edition, but it is date is illegible. The buttons are hidden by a placket, which strikes me as unusual for the time period, this not being a Chesterfield coat. There is no belt either. What's the story on hidden buttons? The coat seems very thirties-sequel except for that detail.

Peacoat

Bartender
Post pictures of the coat and the tag, and Dinerman will probably be able to answer your questions. He is the resident expert on vintage outerwear.

volvomeister13

One of the Regulars
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

volvomeister13

One of the Regulars
Above, the coat buttoned and unbuttoned.

This is the union label. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 98

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Plackets like that weren't uncommon at all, though I generally see them on notch lapel models. The date on the union label is the only difference between the 1936 and 1939 tags, which leaves a 13 year window that it could have been manufactured in. The breast pocket and shape of those lapels have me thinking pre-war, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto