Hideki Okisaka: Master '30s tailor !

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Marc Chevalier, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Mission to Fedora Loungers: find out who this modern Japanese tailor is. His work is extraordinary. -perenthetical removed-Edit Matt Deckard

Hideki Okisaka's suits are prominently featured at a website that Geo kindly referred us to. It's called www.the30sstyle.com Other than that, I know nothing about him. Do you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

Imagine how expensive he is... the Japanese market for 'rare' reproduced garments is more than most Westerners can stomach.

The excellent factory made Japanese A-2 flight jackets start at around $1200, imagine what a bespoke/one-off/custom, '30s styled suit is gonna set you back...

You can see he uses some Holland and Sherry cloths too.

They are fantastic though, aren't they...

B
    T

5. Yes, the lapels are a bit wide and some of the jackets a tad long, but so what?
    If Okisaka made them just a wee bit narrower and shorter, these suits would be ... well ... perfect!

6. Oh my!!! That's some nicely cut stuff ...

bk

7. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Very good with the details, very much like what Jorge in Long Beach makes.

Very good repros.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Flitcraft

Flitcraft One Too Many

Would have replied sooner, but still drooling on my keyboard....

Really like the third one down- the light gray with belted back. Looks like something from Chinatown.

9. Marty M.

Marty M. Vendor

BRAVO!!!!!

BRAVO sir, BRAVO.

Marty

10. MudInYerEye

MudInYerEye Practically Family

Dumbfounded.
    Wow.
    Leave it to the Japanese to do something right, yet again.

11. Robert Conway

Robert Conway A-List Customer

The craftsmanship looks absolutely top notch - but, dare I say that the styling seems a little...exaggerated; and similar to the illustrations you see in period catalogs? Anyone?

Robert Conway
    (ducking and running for cover)

12. Robert Conway

Robert Conway A-List Customer

I'm mainly commenting on the lapels...

Robert Conway

13. MudInYerEye

MudInYerEye Practically Family

Absolutely right, but that's what I find so appealing about them. Man, that Japanese man can sew! --Edit Matt Deckard

14. The lapels on the DBs look fine to me. That light brown pinstripe is one of the nicest moderns i've seen. The SB peak lapels are a different matter. Exaggerated, as someone else said. But they all look pretty similar. Maybe he had a vintage suit that he used for a model that had exactly these lapels?

bk

15. Mr. Rover

Mr. Rover One Too Many

Man- some fine suits. That plaid one is a repro of one of William Powell's suits.
    I love the buttons on the light brown pinstripe. This is how a repro-belt back is made!
    [​IMG]
    If you go to the site, the jackets looks too long on the actually Japanese owners.
    [​IMG]

P.S. I may be Chinese, but I don't wanna hear "japs" thrown around so lightly. Hafta stand up for my Asian cousins.

16. Right on.

I think we've been here before ...:rolleyes:

bk

17. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

the pleats on his belt-backs could use a firmer pressing, or securing. and i agree with everyone else about the too-wide single breasted peaked lapels. other than that these really capture a 30s look. i wonder who buys them ?

18. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

The Japanese of course!- they have a crazee, premium homeland market for 'luxury/kOOl' repro Americana items and are prepared to pay whatever it costs. Take note of the Japanese eBayers who will always win any auction for a top-notch leather jacket or vintage Levi's, or what have you.
    Did you ever wonder where all the great American Vintage clothing went..? well know you know.

B
    T

19. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

well yes, i guess it would be the japanese. i should have phrased my question more accurately. i supppose i was just idly pondering the TYPE of gentleman who would pay good money for one of these suits. what's his proffession ? does he floss regularly ?