Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-profile / classic movies one's never seen

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Snow White" is one of those pictures that's impossible to watch today and see it for what it was when it was made -- a revolution in animated storytelling -- rather than seeing it as the first real step in the Disneyfication and commercial commodification of childhood fantasy.

I've never seen any of the modern-era "Disney Princess" films, which puts me at an immediate disadvantage in trying to talk to any five year old girl.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I've never seen any of the modern-era "Disney Princess" films, which puts me at an immediate disadvantage in trying to talk to any five year old girl.

We're well past the "drag the kids to see the latest Disney feature" stage, and we haven't had grandkids yet. But I have developed a new criteria for those movies that I insist my wife and I go see. If the trailers reveal any characters who resemble family members, I'll drag my better half to see it. "Brave," for example, featured Wee Dingwall (who I think resembles one of my sons), and "Meet the Robinsons" had a hyperactive female research scientist who is the doppelganger of my wife- white lab coat and all.

As bad (in comparison to the classic Disney features) that some of the more current Disney and Pixar animation may be, they're still a lot more uplifting that the apocalyptic and dystopian dreck that seems to be released all the time by the other major studios.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
There are a lot of movies I've not seen, but I've read the book. Does that count? :)

I'm not a big movie goer. I do like to watch movies on AMC and the like, but I've not been able to do so in quite some time.

There are a lot of movies I've not seen, but I've read the book. Does that count? :)

I'm not a big movie goer. I do like to watch movies on AMC and the like, but I've not been able to do so in quite some time.

I love reading the books - and always try to do so first so that I can form my own images - but a lot of times, I hunt out the book after seeing the movie. Off the top of my head, I've done this with "The Lost Weekend," "The Uninvited," "Portrait of Jeanie," "Dr. Zhivago" and "The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit." Maybe it is because I saw the movie first in these cases, but for the first four, I liked the movie as well or better than the book, which is not usually the case.

And you clearly haven't watched AMC in quite sometime as it was a decade or more ago when they moved away from classic movies without commercials (to more modern ones, with commercials). :)

What is your favorite book / movie combo (where you enjoyed both enormously). Might be "To Kill a Mockingbird" for me (but haven't given it enough thought)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider