Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Road to China coat, where can I get one?

attack_donut

New in Town
Hi gang,

I watched High Road to China last night, for the 1st time since it came out in 1983 and it struck me how wonderful Tom Selleck's overcoat was, and I'd love to get one.

Trouble is, I don't know what it's called, or really how to search for it, on eBay, here, or elsewhere.

This is a picture of what it is:

http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/...u-monde-high-road-to-china-11-05-1983-5-g.jpg

I'm willing to bet, as is the case with most Hollywood films, the coat is a one-off (custom made for the movie) so if I am correct, then if you can point me to something close to it, that'd be great as well (I love the vertical side pockets!)

Cheers and greetings from a new guy

A_D

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
You could also find a close option with the Racer Coat at Flight Jacket. They are easy to work with & you may be able to get the custom details that you're looking for.
http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=11

racer.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Edward

Bartender
The Eastman Brooklands Motoring Coat (if you want brown) and their WW1 Luftwaffe Coat (black) are close, though a bit shorter. Your best bet is, I should have thought, Aero, as they are more open to custom work. You could, of course, ask Eastman - I know they don't tend to want to vary from their standard designs with the military stuff (fair point, really, as accuracy of reproduction is the big selling point they go for), though they have added an inch or two here and there. When I have the money, I'm going to see about having Aero make me a Barnstormer that's 18" or so longer than the normal pattern - just enough to take it to just above the knee, so I can wear it with a suit.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Definitely an Aero Barnstormer with a few extra inches length and you'll be damn close. If it was me I would go for steerhide rather than FQHH. This is meant to be a WWI flying coat and most were steerhide.

I'd been thinking of a Cheyenne for my next coat/jacket purchase but when funds allow I'm thinking a Barnstormer (with a little extra length) will actually be next.

Fun movie and book by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points