Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High waist pants for us shorties **Found some!!

Emer

One of the Regulars
What if you're not fortunate enough to have the body that allows you to wear high waisted pants? I'm short through and through and the one time I wore something high waisted, it looked terrible! Case in point:

houndstooth2.jpg

I was told the hemline needed to be shorter for this particular skirt, but it makes me worry what pants would look like. Any of you ladies out there who are on the short side but wear high waist-ers? I love dresses and capris, but somedays I just want to wear pants!

Just to throw this out there: I know it's not techincally period-authentic, but in "A League of Their Own" Kit wears nice vinatge looking pants; they're not high waisted, but they have the look to them. Do repro sites make something like these?

kit.png

Inky

One Too Many
The ones worn by Kit look like natural waist or just barely higher than waist pants, not the exaggerated high waist pants that we see now as repro's.

This me in the Vivian of Holloway denim trousers, which I like very much and I think they look fine on me - I am 5'4", a size 14 and am wearing 2" wedge heels. The waist is about 2 inches above my own waist.

3785598880_3ba2a0e168.jpg

Most of it has to do with proportion - i wear tucked in fitted tops when I wear these fuller cut trousers. I have the Freddie's jeans, which have an even higher waist and are cut slimmer (no pic yet sorry!) and I like those too. I also have a natural waist pair with a wider leg that I got at Marshall's and those are very comfortable of course, since they don't sit quite as high.

3405058972_2bd627cb6a.jpg

Emer

One of the Regulars
The first ones DO look nice on you. Maybe my skirt was just too high. I know there are vintage patterns out there, so maybe I could adapt some to fit me better...

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I'm still working on this one. I'm not short, but my length is all in the legs - I have a short torso and narrow shoulders (which forces me to buy petite tops and regular skirts - I've pretty much given up on trying to find a matching RTW suit!). I know some wider waistbands just make my torso look stubby and thick-waisted!

Elaina

One Too Many
ShoreRoad, I've got the same problem, 32" inseam and I'm 5'4.5". Best thing to do is to get one that fits on the waist (since it looks relatively high compared to the leg letgth) with a more narrow band...you get the same look without the fit issues. Tops, I tend to get a non-petite and alter it to fit (arm length, back darts mostly). On RTW Suits, I've gotten petite suits, and made sure the skirt/pants had enough hem to let it out, and done that.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm 5'3", and I measure 32"-25"-32". High waisted pants absolutely swamp me, unless I follow a formula for shorties: Two rows of buttons, or other vertical design, to add height; and wide legs, to add volume.

These are my favourite pair, in heavy denim:

HighWaistedPants.jpg

Obviously they look better when worn with heels lol But they are very flattering and very 40's. I think almost all petite women can pull this look off.

Inky, I love your pompadour!

Emer

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
I'm 5'3", and I measure 32"-25"-32". High waisted pants absolutely swamp me, unless I follow a formula for shorties: Two rows of buttons, or other vertical design, to add height; and wide legs, to add volume.

These are my favourite pair, in heavy denim:

HighWaistedPants.jpg

Obviously they look better when worn with heels lol But they are very flattering and very 40's. I think almost all petite women can pull this look off.

Inky, I love your pompadour!

Those are ADORABLE! Where did you find those?!

Shorty--thanks for the links! Looking at them now...

Emer

One of the Regulars
They're not above the waist line, but they sit just under it. I LOVE them. I found them (of all places) at the Banana Republic Outlet. They're limited edition jeans and they are so comfortable!

pants.jpg

I love the back--it has this little waist tightener that's perfect if pants tend to gap on you.

pants2.jpg

I bought red wedges (Keds) for this outfit and a polka dot purse; with a wide brimmed white hat, it's my baseball outfit for a game we're going to in a couple of weeks!

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
I have one pair...however, they are too snug to wear with a tucked in shirt, which is the look I'm trying to get at SOME point. I think I'm just going to make my own. I made my own high waisted shorts and I really like them. I think half the trouble is getting a top that goes with it.

As far as your skirt...I think it is more a matter of the shoe you are wearing. If you're going to go with that hemline, a pair of ballet flats would make the whole outfit.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Inky-
I have a question on the Vivien pants. I was thinking of purchasing a pair but I'm always worried about purchasing pants online because of the length. I have the opposite problem, pants are never long enough.

The Vivien pants look like they are the perfect length on you, so would they be too short on me? I'm 5'8 by the way. I'd probably want to wear heels with them also.

I'm glad I found someone that has a pair, so I can ask about them.

Inky

One Too Many
Christy said:
Inky-
I have a question on the Vivien pants. I was thinking of purchasing a pair but I'm always worried about purchasing pants online because of the length. I have the opposite problem, pants are never long enough.

The Vivien pants look like they are the perfect length on you, so would they be too short on me? I'm 5'8 by the way. I'd probably want to wear heels with them also.

I'm glad I found someone that has a pair, so I can ask about them.

Hi Christy!

I don't remember how long they were originally, but at 5'4", I had enough to cuff them, but I chose to hem them w/o a cuff. I tried rolling them like they show on the sight, but it wasn't flattering on me at all. I would e-mail them and ask what the length is specifically. They have been terrific about responding to my e-mails in the past and have very fast shipping service, even to me here in California.

I don't know if you can tell from my picture, they aren't denim like you would find in a pair of Levi's for example. They are a thinner denim, more like a trouser than jeans. If you want some more like actual denim, you might want to see http://www.freddiesofpinewood.co.uk/classic.htm

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Emer said:
What if you're not fortunate enough to have the body that allows you to wear high waisted pants? I'm short through and through and the one time I wore something high waisted, it looked terrible! Case in point:

houndstooth2.jpg
I'm sorry, I don't see anything terrible in that picture!
The waist is high but where your real waist is, and it's always nice to go in at your smallest point... the blouse is fitted, and girlfriend, what curves... and the length is fine by me, anything shorter in a plaid is widening. IMO.

I think you might be judging an old fashioned fit with a modern eye - this looks supremely flattering to me. I am mystified.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Thanks Inky! I kind of thought that they were a thinner denim, I was thinking about getting them in black. I was looking for some denim ones as well though so I really appreciate the link!

miss_elise

Practically Family
miss_smith said:
As far as your skirt...I think it is more a matter of the shoe you are wearing. If you're going to go with that hemline, a pair of ballet flats would make the whole outfit.
I agree, ballet flats or a nice plain pump would look swell. you need to flash us some ankle (stockingedof course)

Emer

One of the Regulars
lol Thank you! I love them. They are so ridiculously comfortable! I wish they came in khaki or black as well! I'd buy another pair in each color!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner