Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High waisted pants & the body shape of the "larger" men.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I've just recently started wearing braces and it's been a real pleasure. No more cinching up the belt to an uncomfortable degree to keep the pants from sagging down (which they do anyway). No constant waistband adjustments - everything fits and hangs a little better, and you stay a little more put together during the day.

That's why I usually prefer suspenders, although I do have a couple of pair of trousers which fit just right, and look good with a belt.

The larger the waist the wider the button placement. ;)

Exactly. I prefer no more than about 31/2" spacing; I've a 33" waist and 33" inseam.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
That's a good question. I would suspect the answer no, though. Most "big and tall" stores are only such in that they carry sizes usually not carried other places. They tend to reflect whatever is currently commonly being worn and high waisted trouser aren't that "mainstream"

... Another tip I would suggest is to go up a waist size (I've found that a waist which is a bit loose is much more flattering than one that fastens tight, whatever the numbers involved). ...

Indeed. If a guy really wishes to draw attention to his extra inches around the middle, he can just wear the pants that fit him 20 pounds ago.

I have never in my life had a flat tummy, although I try (more or less successfully) to keep that gut from protruding too darned much. I've found that high-waisted pleated pants tend to flatten out the overall line, to kind of drape over the lumps and bumps. That's provided, of course, that those pants fit well.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I really like the high rise too and I have a portly figure which I think these style trousers camouflage a little :)

highrise.jpg

Derek WC

Banned
They must camouflage it pretty well.

If you wear pants that are too tight above the naval (Which, sadly, all but one pair of mine are) than you get quite the opposite effect, with an underlap. That is, a bulge of belly under the waistband that is even more accentuated with the wearing of flat fronts.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Probably why Man-girdles have become big sellers for the undergarment industry. That and back support.

83070_001.jpg

85390_001.jpg

They must camouflage it pretty well.

If you wear pants that are too tight above the naval (Which, sadly, all but one pair of mine are) than you get quite the opposite effect, with an underlap. That is, a bulge of belly under the waistband that is even more accentuated with the wearing of flat fronts.

Lemastre

New in Town
High waisted and braced.......

AdventuresOfNeroWollfe-SidneyGreenstreet-NBC-photo-combo.jpg

.......topped off with a vest and/or jacket.

50508110.jpg

Has a 300lb man ever looked so good?
Braces are the only way to go if you're portly and want to keep your pants up when you're on your feet. Pants are not designed to look or work right if the front is detoured south around a gut.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Are the trousers at the Big & Tall shops higher waisted?
In OTR suits the trouser waist or rise will become higher as the jacket length becomes longer. So since B&T shops deal in XL/XXL suits I would imagine that their odd trousers would have higher rises as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch