Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highest price paid, lowest price paid for your fedora.

ipokebadgers

New in Town
I had paid around $125 for an Akubra. I have never purchased a vintage although I looked for a while. With a 7 5/8 head the pickins were slim. The finest hat I own is an Art Fawcett custom which was worth every penny and more. I don't even look at hats, to buy, anymore. I am in line for one more Fawcett and then I think I will be set for a while. I have four Fedoras and only wear the one work of Art. Hopefully my OCD will behave.:D

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Feed the dog......

ipokebadgers said:
I had paid around $125 for an Akubra. I have never purchased a vintage although I looked for a while. With a 7 5/8 head the pickins were slim. The finest hat I own is an Art Fawcett custom which was worth every penny and more. I don't even look at hats, to buy, anymore. I am in line for one more Fawcett and then I think I will be set for a while. I have four Fedoras and only wear the one work of Art. Hopefully my OCD will behave.:D

Don't fight it.... Feed the Bull Dog :p :p :p

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
$65 for a 1940s Dobbs Twenty with Cav edge. Got it off the 'bay.

All my others have been cheap: $30 or less.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I hear of Optimo's hats starting at $550, I realize the VS custom Art sent me was really quite a bargain at about $330 shipped. I received for that a hat that looks great and fits far better than any other hat I own. The real price of Art's hats is the wait...much more difficult than paying the $300 or so. But I will do it again because Art's hats are worth it.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Time is money

BobC said:
When I hear of Optimo's hats starting at $550, I realize the VS custom Art sent me was really quite a bargain at about $330 shipped. I received for that a hat that looks great and fits far better than any other hat I own. The real price of Art's hats is the wait...much more difficult than paying the $300 or so. But I will do it again because Art's hats are worth it.

Good things take time and nowadays enough people have discovered Art - which I think is good for all of us. Many clients=safe business. The recession will NOT influence his stable business as a differentiator - quality always sells. See other quality producers who survived a bunch of recessions and even global wars and still stand.

I pay anyhow some 400 USD since the customs are also due - kind of last gate to be unlocked - but I do it without regret and I forget it all as I unpack the hat.

The waiting times are short compared to how many decades of joy and service his hats will provide and they will be passed on as heirlooms. I frankly believe this since his hats are built to last.

BobC

HungaryTom said:
Good things take time and nowadays enough people have discovered Art - which I think is good for all of us. Many clients=safe business. The recession will NOT influence his stable business as a differentiator - quality always sells. See other quality producers who survived a bunch of recessions and even global wars and still stand.

I pay anyhow some 400 USD since the customs are also due - kind of last gate to be unlocked - but I do it without regret and I forget it all as I unpack the hat.

The waiting times are short compared to how many decades of joy and service his hats will provide and they will be passed on as heirlooms. I frankly believe this since his hats are built to last.

Well said, Tom. I absolutely agree. It may be silly, but when I opened my first work of Art, my hands were shaking. ;)

rrog

A-List Customer
TopGumby said:
$67 for an Akubra, and I haven't even seen it yet!

I've got a "USMC Retired" ballcap that cost me 27 years...:)

Sure, it cost a lot. But I'll bet you get stares of respect everywhere you go. Semper Fi!

(first a salute, then a tip of the hat)

rrog

Vintage Betty

Somewhere in the three very generous figures for this Victorian Mourning Hat:

1890s_toque1.jpg
1890s_toque2.jpg

Which I expect has doubled in price since I got it many years ago.

Justdog

Practically Family
Look

HarpPlayerGene said:
$150 ish for a new Stetson Temple. That was somethin' of a mistake. Soon after, I caught wise and started getting vintage hats. $107 for my Disney Twenty is the most I've spent on oldies. I don't regret that purchase at all. Most of my hats were in the $30 range.

The Disney:

Look is priceless;)

Selentino

One of the Regulars
My Hat from Art. Like everyone else who has one of his hats well worth the price. Next are my hats from Johnny's auctions. I use to tease Bart, but I have three of the things myself.

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm a 7 5/8 - 7 3/4, so my numbers are drastically higher than many others here.

I paid $250.00 for a Stetson Stratoliner once, but sold it for the same price.

I paid $150.00 for a Stetson Whippet + restoration by Optimo (yes, combined!).

I paid $125.00 for a MacLachlan with tartan lining and matching tartan hatbox.

It's a severe drop-off after that. I suppose my two Akubra Federation IV Standards would be next, and then we're down into the $50 - $70 range.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
$200 plus Borsalino Bellagio, bought at the flagship store in Milan at the height of the frikkin exchange rate.
1028247569_451fa8faf8_m.jpg

Hey, this color is unheard-of in the states, and when was I gonna get back to Italy again? Never, as far as I knew.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Expensive/valuable...

I think my most expensive hat was a midnight blue Knox "Tom 'n' Jerry," which I believe I paid about $130 for. That said, my most valuable hat would be my Knox 100 (which I paid $28 for). To this day I've not seen or heard of another.

David V

A-List Customer
Most of my hats are in their second life. I'm sure I haven't paid more than $35 and most met my self imposed limit of $25. This includes any shipping cost.
I like hats and I like to get a deal. It makes my collecting more palatable to my wife.

celtic

A-List Customer
I don't own any hats I've paid more than $50 for. And those are new wool caps from Scotland/Ireland.

Although the $25 I just recently paid for a black vintage Dobbs stingy will increase as I realized too late that the sweatband needs replacing. :eusa_doh:

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
About $400 for a hat from Ritch Rand (he does cowboy hats) - then one from Steve Delk at maybe $200, could have been less, it was some years back and I don't think he was as well known then. I notice he's at $400 now.
His hat is worth every penny.

Vintage have been $60 and under, sometimes way under. Which reminds me that I need to sell a few, I am out of hooks on my hat tree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy