Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highlighting Hair for Roll contrast Help Please!!

64tonya

One of the Regulars
THAT is the red I want!

SassyLindaB said:
well I'm no good for advice, my hair is a dark red with black streaks...well not really streaks because all I did was get a handful of black hair dye and smear across my head...lol I'm happy though :)

I hope you get the look you love
Sassy is right, I love your red! Ok, we'll see if it's close to that later tonight...

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
Hi Tonya -

I think the placement turned out great - and redder will be better. Do they have any Manic Panic or something like that? Or you can get some at Sally Beauty Supply (or even Hot Topic).

I am going to my hairdresser for much the same idea this Saturday - my hair is a mousy brown natural curl/wave shoulder length right now. Luckily, the salon I go to is called Hep Kat and is the local rockabilly hairdo spot - they cut middys all the time and do insane color work. Not bad, considering this area is pretty small and better known for agriculture and the ocean, lol.

Do you have a myspace account? My hairdresser has a great album of her color work.

http://www.myspace.com/lady_luck13

She is better known for razor cut bobs, but has a few pin-up styles in there too, but it's her hair color work that rocks and I think is what you are after. Maybe the pics will help.

Wow, thanks for the link. It looks like you are in good hands Lady Luck. Be sure to show us the before and afters!

Inky

One Too Many
64tonya said:
Wow, thanks for the link. It looks like you are in good hands Lady Luck. Be sure to show us the before and afters!

Cool, glad it helped, Tonya. I will post before/after pics.

I used to live in San Diego (normal heights and north park) and I am sure there are salons that cater the that type of crowd - google for san diego rockabilly or the swing scene - or maybe some other San Diegan's will pop in here.

I do miss San Diego a little bit ;)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Inky said:
Cool, glad it helped, Tonya. I will post before/after pics.

I used to live in San Diego (normal heights and north park) and I am sure there are salons that cater the that type of crowd - google for san diego rockabilly or the swing scene - or maybe some other San Diegan's will pop in here.

I do miss San Diego a little bit ;)

*Pop*

64Tonya, check out Planet Hair and Beyond. http://www.planethairbeyond.com/
It's in Hillcrest and it's suitably pinup-y.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Ok, the 2nd After...

Just got back from the salon and did a quickie do to check out the results...
64tonya

64tonya

64tonya

64tonya

Tatum

Practically Family
64tonya said:
Just got back from the salon and did a quickie do to check out the results...
64tonya

64tonya

64tonya

64tonya

Oh, that looks fabulous! How did you finally describe it to your stylist, how you wanted the placement? If you mentioned it, I didn't see and am mightily curious!

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Tatum said:
Oh, that looks fabulous! How did you finally describe it to your stylist, how you wanted the placement? If you mentioned it, I didn't see and am mightily curious!
Thanks Tatum! I went to the salon with my hair in rolls and then we sectioned off the areas around the edge of my face like so...
IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

Then we took those sections from the ear forward and bleached and dyed them. The thing I like is that even though it is a bit shocking when the hair is pulled up, the top hair almost hides the red when it is down so I can still be more conservative if I need to.

Inky

One Too Many
Ok, here's my haircoloring fun for yesterday (sorry for the subpar after pics - my hair is so dark and my hubby's photography skills lacking so you can't see the contrast).

I usually wear my hair natural during the week, and when I set it, I go for more of a 50's marilyn curls sort of thing. I don't do rolls (yet!) and am trying to grow my hair out to past my shoulders for a middy cut.

Before
- mousy brown with gray roots, natural curl/wave.

2934471389_2a53501982.jpg

After - (click here for bigger image)- new dark brown, no gray, and lots of "blood red" chunks underneath with Special Effects semi-permanent color. I got a bottle of "nuclear red (a brighter red) to touch up between visits. Next time I think I'll have her do some bigger chunks of color on top.

2935329158_eeafdedd8c.jpg

2935328228_422eafe708.jpg

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Yay!

Inky said:
Ok, here's my haircoloring fun for yesterday (sorry for the subpar after pics - my hair is so dark and my hubby's photography skills lacking so you can't see the contrast).

I usually wear my hair natural during the week, and when I set it, I go for more of a 50's marilyn curls sort of thing. I don't do rolls (yet!) and am trying to grow my hair out to past my shoulders for a middy cut.

Before
- mousy brown with gray roots, natural curl/wave.

2934471389_2a53501982.jpg

After - (click here for bigger image)- new dark brown, no gray, and lots of "blood red" chunks underneath with Special Effects semi-permanent color. I got a bottle of "nuclear red (a brighter red) to touch up between visits. Next time I think I'll have her do some bigger chunks of color on top.

2935329158_eeafdedd8c.jpg

2935328228_422eafe708.jpg
Looks Great Inky!

Inky

One Too Many
thank you so much, lovely ladies of FL :)

So far I am enjoying it immensely - and I am glad I remembered to put a black pillow case on my pillow - these crazy colors are getting on everything!

I am going to my 30's high school reunion on Saturday and will post pics with a proper "do" and outfit when I get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo