Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highlighting Hair for Roll contrast Help Please!!

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Ok ladies, I need your expertise! It is a little last minute but I've been wanting to get highlights (my hair is dyed dark brown right now) to get some nice contrast when I do my vintage rolls and cool hairstyles. I have an appt tomorrow and I'm a little nervous because I've never really had highlights and I'm not sure what to ask for to get the effect I want. I love to do different styles like victory rolls, bettie page bangs and ponytails with bangs. Here I am on my way to school today so you get an idea...
IMG_3496.jpg

That little swirl you see is a clip-in piece that was a total waste of $:eek:
What I was thinking was lightening the sections around the edges of my face from the ears up so that when I pull my hair into rolls the lighter part will be on the outside, but i worry that will look really weird if I want to leave my hair down.
Any suggestions??? Thanks for the input ladies :)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
64tonya said:
Ok ladies, I need your expertise! It is a little last minute but I've been wanting to get highlights (my hair is dyed dark brown right now) to get some nice contrast when I do my vintage rolls and cool hairstyles. I have an appt tomorrow and I'm a little nervous because I've never really had highlights and I'm not sure what to ask for to get the effect I want. I love to do different styles like victory rolls, bettie page bangs and ponytails with bangs. Here I am on my way to school today so you get an idea...
IMG_3496.jpg

That little swirl you see is a clip-in piece that was a total waste of $:eek:
What I was thinking was lightening the sections around the edges of my face from the ears up so that when I pull my hair into rolls the lighter part will be on the outside, but i worry that will look really weird if I want to leave my hair down.
Any suggestions??? Thanks for the input ladies :)

I personally have never highlighted for vintage hair so I'm no help in technique. But for inspiration, I love SuperKawaiiMama's hair! She's got such a lovely ice-cream swirl going on. Ok, sorry. :eusa_doh:
Hopefully, some of the other ladies can actually give you some advice.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Odalisque said:
I personally have never highlighted for vintage hair so I'm no help in technique. But for inspiration, I love SuperKawaiiMama's hair! She's got such a lovely ice-cream swirl going on. Ok, sorry. :eusa_doh:
Hopefully, some of the other ladies can actually give you some advice.
Yes, she does have fab hair, thanks anyways Odalisque ;)

The Shirt

Practically Family
I've been toying with the same idea. I do currently have a big strek on one side of my bangs of blond with a light red base everywhere else. When you wear your hair down, if it's still curly I see it as less of "odd" look. I do understand the concern though if you are wearing it straight and having the lighter color underneath the rest of your hair. Tucked behind your ears I think it could be really cute though.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Great site!

Tatum said:
64tonya, try perusing through the pics here. It might take you a while, but I've seen some great highlights on the girls there!
Thanks Tatum, I hadn't seen that one yet.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
I'll be the guinnae pig...

The Shirt said:
I've been toying with the same idea. I do currently have a big strek on one side of my bangs of blond with a light red base everywhere else. When you wear your hair down, if it's still curly I see it as less of "odd" look. I do understand the concern though if you are wearing it straight and having the lighter color underneath the rest of your hair. Tucked behind your ears I think it could be really cute though.
Hiya Shirt, I love your hair by the way, such a good color on you (I know you were unsure at first ;) ) Had you ever considered adding a darker section for contrast? That could look cool too if you wanted to be adventurous.
Yes, my hair is stick straight so I had that same concern but I really never leave it down and straight so we'll see.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Thank you! I was unsure at first - but it's been fun being a redhead for the summer. It is however horrible for maintenance! I have definitely thought about adding in darker streaks so that it would blend better.

I say go for it if you are pulling it back alot. You'd look great with it and it would be so striking with rolls.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I know this totally isn't what you're looking for, but:
258664028_l.jpg

Highlights around your face will show up best in rolls. I don't think it looks weird when worn down at all. Also keep in mind that highlights usually aren't done just on the top layer, so you will also get some of those throughout your rolls.

What I would do is take pictures of yourself with rolls and take them to your hairstylist. Point out where in your rolls you'd like the highlights to show up, and that will give her a much better idea of what you want.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Great Hair Kitty T

KittyT said:
I know this totally isn't what you're looking for, but:
258664028_l.jpg

Highlights around your face will show up best in rolls. I don't think it looks weird when worn down at all. Also keep in mind that highlights usually aren't done just on the top layer, so you will also get some of those throughout your rolls.

What I would do is take pictures of yourself with rolls and take them to your hairstylist. Point out where in your rolls you'd like the highlights to show up, and that will give her a much better idea of what you want.

Thanks for the pic, that looks great. I am going to the hairdresser in the rolls so she can get a good idea of what I'm talking about. I might just print yours to show her too :D Ok, here I am on my way out the door...Before...
IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

pixie

Familiar Face
Hey 64Tonya

I know that this is not a reply to the hair question, but I have the little swallows that you have on your polka dot shirt, how did you attach them? Did you sew them on, or did you iron them on or what? I love them. Now here is about the hair, I have a panel of red on each side of my head from the edge of the hair line to the back of my head, that starts about an inch down from my center part, under a layer of my black hair. THey show up great in rolls and updos and I get compliments on them all of the time, and they peek through the darker black when I straighten my hair. Good luck!!!:)

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Swallows on Shirt

pixie said:
Hey 64Tonya

I know that this is not a reply to the hair question, but I have the little swallows that you have on your polka dot shirt, how did you attach them? Did you sew them on, or did you iron them on or what? I love them. Now here is about the hair, I have a panel of red on each side of my head from the edge of the hair line to the back of my head, that starts about an inch down from my center part, under a layer of my black hair. THey show up great in rolls and updos and I get compliments on them all of the time, and they peek through the darker black when I straighten my hair. Good luck!!!:)
Hey Pixie,
The swallows are iron on patches and I got them in three colors. I think the seller was Hellbound housewife on ebay. I got a few other things from her and really liked everything.
Your hair sounds like what I was going for...Let me update what I got:eek:

64tonya

One of the Regulars
I don't care if its Halloween! I said NO Orange!!!

Ok, I like the placement of the highlights and the first photo looks pretty normal...
IMG_3513.jpg

But, then the truth comes out...
IMG_3514.jpg
IMG_3515.jpg

EEEK! Ok, stay calm maybe it will look better in rolls...
IMG_3516.jpg

Hmmm, it just needs the right accessory...
IMG_3519.jpg

Perfect :D
Ah well, they said it will be an easy fix...tomorrow. So close to what I wanted and somehow so far :eusa_doh: I'll update after the fix. Wish me (more) luck!

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Thanks Maggiethespy

maggiethespy said:
I really like the placement of the color when your hair is in rolls. Are you going to go blonder?

I like the placement too, just not the orange. I'm going to go more red, I like your color by the by. It really suits your skin tone.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
64tonya said:
I like the placement too, just not the orange. I'm going to go more red, I like your color by the by. It really suits your skin tone.

Thanks ;) Nice & Easy Dark Auburn...(shhh, don't tell!)

I think the red will look very nice-- are you leaning towards an Auburn or more of a Stop Sign color? Because I think bright might be kind of awesome!

64tonya

One of the Regulars
maggiethespy said:
Thanks ;) Nice & Easy Dark Auburn...(shhh, don't tell!)

I think the red will look very nice-- are you leaning towards an Auburn or more of a Stop Sign color? Because I think bright might be kind of awesome!
Stop Sign! I was thinking of how to describe it to her...:eusa_clap Thanks (I secretly miss my flaming red hair)

SassyLindaB

Familiar Face
well I'm no good for advice, my hair is a dark red with black streaks...well not really streaks because all I did was get a handful of black hair dye and smear across my head...lol I'm happy though :)

I hope you get the look you love

Inky

One Too Many
Hi Tonya -

I think the placement turned out great - and redder will be better. Do they have any Manic Panic or something like that? Or you can get some at Sally Beauty Supply (or even Hot Topic).

I am going to my hairdresser for much the same idea this Saturday - my hair is a mousy brown natural curl/wave shoulder length right now. Luckily, the salon I go to is called Hep Kat and is the local rockabilly hairdo spot - they cut middys all the time and do insane color work. Not bad, considering this area is pretty small and better known for agriculture and the ocean, lol.

Do you have a myspace account? My hairdresser has a great album of her color work.

http://www.myspace.com/lady_luck13

She is better known for razor cut bobs, but has a few pin-up styles in there too, but it's her hair color work that rocks and I think is what you are after. Maybe the pics will help.

The Shirt

Practically Family
64tonya -
I think it looks pretty cool even when down. I also think it looks pretty great in the roll (how awesome you are at those!) Sometimes when stripping color out it takes a try or two to get it consistently even. I also think a bright red would look fabulous on you. I love the manic panic stuff - but it just never stayed bright for very long on me. I think that began my addiction to haircoloring. If I can get thru 4 weeks I consider it a victory these days.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo