Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman cinch straps

ins0ma

New in Town
Apologies for reposting -- I originally wrote the following in response to another thread, but I thought I might get more response if I posted it as its own thread:

I am having problems with the "cinch-straps" on the sides of my Highwayman jacket: the only way they stay buckled is when they're all-the-way tight, which is OK with a T-shirt but a little tight with a sweater. I've discussed it with Mark Moye from AeroUSA, and they're willing to take care of it, but I'm not sending the jacket in for alterations until next summer at least. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm starting to think that I want a better buckle, one with a prong or "tongue" and holes punched in the straps, like a miniature belt-buckle, so that the straps won't come loose once I have them tightened the way I want them.

Any ideas?

Peacoat

Bartender
There is a particular way the strap must go through the buckle so that it will hold. First thread the strap though the buckle the normal way-- from rear to front. This is probably the way you are doing it. Then take the pointed end and double it back through the roller part of the buckle. The pointed end will go over the front of the buckle and back under the roller part at the end of the buckle. The point will be facing the rear when it is properly buckled. It will hold its position with no problem when buckled this way. Let us know how this method works for you.

ins0ma

New in Town
Here's some photos of the straps on my jacket. The straps are fastened as you described -- in fact I'm not sure how else you'd do it -- but in the course of normal everyday wear they work themselves loose somehow, UNLESS I have them fastened pretty much all the way, as shown. If I try to fasten the straps any looser than you see in the photo, they come undone. It may be that the straps simply aren't long enough, but whatever the case, as it is now there's only one workable strap position.

Strap2.jpg

Strap1.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Your buckle is installed backwards from the way mine is installed, and mine holds fine. Your buckle has the roller where mine has the flat part of the buckle. The flat part is what grabs and holds the strap. Your buckle can't grab the strap because the roller is there, and the strap rolls loose while being worn.

ins0ma

New in Town
I think you're right, now that I look at it that way. The buckles were put on backwards. It didn't even occur to me. When I'm ready to part with it for a few weeks I'll make arrangements to get it sent back to Aero. Hopefully I can send it to Mark and he'll handle it from there.

Something else I'm wondering about is the amount of material in the adjustment side-panels, the ones that fold or expand via the aforementioned cinch straps. It almost seems like the panels are too wide -- expanded all the way, the straps don't have a chance of buckling, and when tightened, there's almost an awkward fold down the side of the jacket under the arms. I've been thinking it was something that would kind of fix itself through the break-in process, but now I'm wondering if more serious alterations are in order. . .

IMG_9522.jpg

IMG_9521.jpg

insOma
My Highwayman is probably 5 yrs old...and my strap buckle is installed the same way as yours...(looking close at where your front pocket is located in pic). The buckle strap is sewn to the front side seam(closest to front pocket)...the buckle is inside that strap loop around flat center part of the buckle. The roller is on the same side as where that strap is sewn into the front seam. The other strap is sewn to sideseam to the rear. All of my HalfBelts..and LongShoreman are constructed the same way....except(I just noticed)the Highwayman is the only buckle with a roller!
BTW...the material between the two side seams measures 4 1/4" on all of my Aeros....
HD

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
This is my LHB.

It’s as received from Aero, not sure your strap is long enough to double back like this. It has never slipped.

Roller on other side as well

Hope this helps in some way

James.

ins0ma

New in Town
Its interesting that there seems to be some variance with the way Aero makes these cinch straps. The straps on James's LHB look better-made than those on my Highwayman: his have finished edges and even the buckle looks to be of higher quality. The roller is also definitely on the rear-ward side of the buckle, opposite of mine.

Since I'll have a little time to think about it before I send the jacket in, I'm trying to think of some way to improve the whole adjustment arrangement. What do you guys think? Longer straps, and maybe the finished version shown on the LHB above? I'm also still kicking around the idea of a prong and riveted strap modification. . .

Peacoat

Bartender
One simple and immediate solution is to take a Dremel tool, and use the cutoff wheel to remove the roller on the buckle. It really isn't needed and probably is what is causing your buckle to not hold. As Hoosier Daddy said above, only his Highwayman has a roller on the buckle.

Peacoat said:
One simple and immediate solution is to take a Dremel tool, and use the cutoff wheel to remove the roller on the buckle. It really isn't needed and probably is what is causing your buckle to not hold. As Hoosier Daddy said above, only his Highwayman has a roller on the buckle.

Peacoat
That's what I was thinking....
I have a half doz Aero utility jackets with the side buckles and no roller. If it were me...I'd just remove the roller(or have it taken off locally)...rather than sending it back! Walla...seems prob would then be solved!
HD
BTW..it does seem somewhat odd that the edges of the straps aren't finished. I think a little permanent black marker would work to make that look better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24