Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman fit

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Weight is a red herring... heavier doesn't always mean bigger. I used to know a girl who dd a lot of karate; at one time she gained two stone and yet still went down a dress size. Muscle tissue is denser and heavier than fat.

I get it but that's that's an occasional situation. Generally heavier means broader - certainly in Wade's case. I've never met a girl who did Karate....;)

Last edited:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I have 4 Aero Highwayman. I am 5'8", weight 160. I normally wear a size 40. I have 2 size 40 jackets, a size 42, and a size 38. The jackets that fit me perfectly are the 2 size 40 labeled jackets. The size 42 was too large, so I had to draw it in by shrinking it some. The size 38 jacket I have is made from a lighter and much softer cowhide (not steerhide), and it fits well also, albeit a jacket that fits a little more snug. The statement that the Highwayman should be ordered 3 sizes smaller is way off base. While I have seen some variation in the measurements of size 40's, usually in the jacket length or sleeve length, I have never seen anywhere near 3 sizes off.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have 4 Aero Highwayman. I am 5'8", weight 160. I normally wear a size 40. I have 2 size 40 jackets, a size 42, and a size 38. The jackets that fit me perfectly are the 2 size 40 labeled jackets. The size 42 was too large, so I had to draw it in by shrinking it some. The size 38 jacket I have is made from a lighter and much softer cowhide (not steerhide), and it fits well also, albeit a jacket that fits a little more snug. The statement that the Highwayman should be ordered 3 sizes smaller is way off base. While I have seen some variation in the measurements of size 40's, usually in the jacket length or sleeve length, I have never seen anywhere near 3 sizes off.

Gripes! Talk about getting mixed feedback.

garzo

One of the Regulars
I'm a size 44 in most jackets and my Highwayman and Bootlegger, both 44 and off the rack directly from Aero in Scotland, fit perfectly.
I don't understand the advice of going down three sizes unless Aero deliberately altered the sizing on the jackets it delivers to Insurrection, perhaps making them bigger all around.

Insurrection will send try on jackets. I would definitely go that route especially with what seems like mixed advice. I'm 6'2" 185 lbs 32-33 waist and couldn't wear a size 38 Aero comfortably without struggling to zip it up. All my Aeros ( past and present) are size 40. Some years old and others more recent. I suppose,though, it all comes down to what you feel you can get away with. Trying one on should eliminate any confusion.
HD

Edward

Bartender
Yes, go with the try on. But, as several folks have already said, the Highwayman simply isn't designed for the skin tight fit. Rather than chasing after that, if it's a jacket a bit like a Highwayman but neat fitting you're after, look into the Aero Sheene.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, go with the try on. But, as several folks have already said, the Highwayman simply isn't designed for the skin tight fit. Rather than chasing after that, if it's a jacket a bit like a Highwayman but neat fitting you're after, look into the Aero Sheene.

I've never liked fitted jackets. I like my jackets just short of baggy. I fit a 1930's half-belt in 44 comfortably. I'll get the measurements sent to me to help decide. If I can get no less than 23.5 pit to pit and 19.5 inch shoulders I'll be good to go. Thanks all. I think it's very interesting the wide range of views about the sizing of this jacket.

Edward

Bartender
I've never liked fitted jackets. I like my jackets just short of baggy. I fit a 1930's half-belt in 44 comfortably. I'll get the measurements sent to me to help decide. If I can get no less than 23.5 pit to pit and 19.5 inch shoulders I'll be good to go. Thanks all. I think it's very interesting the wide range of views about the sizing of this jacket.

Sounds like a Hwm would be ideal then. My 30s is a 42 and fits fine, though it is just at the tightest I can get away with wthout looking mad. My 42 Hwm is the kind of fit in me it sounds like you prefer. (FWIW, if you can live without an inside pocket and they do a hide/colour you like, an Apprentice made is truly a stunning option).

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Thanks all. I think it's very interesting the wide range of views about the sizing of this jacket.

I think that's part of why it's a true classic. It's a very forgiving cut that can be worn many different ways. I've seen fit pics on here where the jacket was really very baggy and it still looked really good, especially if the wearer had the foresight to order just a little extra length on the body too. on the other hand, while it's a boxy shape, a tight fit also looks really cool too.

Personally what gets my goat is when people get really miffed because they end up with a jacket that fits but not within the 3mm tolerances they hold in their head as being ideal. Essentially they've set themselves up for disappointment before they've even started so disappointment should then be no surprise. I bought mine sight unseen on ebay and it looked bloody brilliant with a chunky sweater on - hey ho, that's how I wear it. Now I have a reference for any future similar jacket I might want, no harm no foul and certainly nothing to get upset over. Quite the opposite in fact, my highwayman is just about my favorite inanimate object in the entire world!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo