Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman Virginian

Graemsay

Practically Family
Aero posted their new Highwayman Virginian on their Instagram feed earlier. It's their 59er jacket, but with a fringe, based on the original Rivetts Highwayman Virginian.

So who is getting one?

Aero Virginian Front.jpg
Aero Virginian Back.jpg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This might really be a chance for me to step up and put my money where my mouth is. I remember protesting stridently when @handymike cut the fringe off his Bates racer. Now maybe it’s my turn to except the fringe challenge!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, how many versions of the same jacket are they going to produce? Their energy would be better used by offering different cuts, designs, and collars IMO. They’ve milked the Highwayman for all it’s got at this point.

At this point i am pretty much convinced they are pulling different combinations randomly out of a hat...
I wish they would fix the lingering pattern issues rather than focus on recycling them with different cosmetic overhauls.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
On top of everything said, that fringe looks poorly designed and frankly, cheap. I have seen 30 bucks jackets on ebay where the fringe looked better than this. Guess it is a question of length and diameter.

Last edited:
I’m not such a fan of the fringe, but that Electric Leather jacket is beautiful! At this point (9years in) it’s about the subtleties- the collar, the stitching, curves, fit, and feel.
Now if the Aero were in suede, buttoned up (or pearl snaps), had a great double point collar, and a killer western back yoke...
There is great inspiration out there for a “western” jacket:
4CA53060-417C-409F-8FE1-91C208AC216E.jpeg
CF0B04DD-8060-4C0D-86C1-65CF43462D8E.jpeg
CA7F1A80-1C61-4ED9-8482-D668BC1656A5.jpeg
50F9A7BB-C0A7-425A-8877-EF04BBE03413.jpeg
F288BDF3-54E5-432F-AED3-BA719A7235B4.jpeg
DCE7AF09-94EE-4C52-8A51-09FEB6E46730.jpeg

Last edited:
Aero should change the pocket angles and add fringe to the sleeves to make it more like the older ones if they’re pushing forward with this design. I have to admit- the best part of a fringe jacket is swinging your arms around and feeling/hearing the fringe flap. The snap cuffs are also better than the zippers IMO, unless it is a CR design. Now, if they wanted to do a Board racer in Western style- I have pictures.
8C0F18E0-E3AE-4BA8-A274-77CEB7D20512.jpeg
The modern Lewis version misses the target too.

Kalmer

One of the Regulars
Aero should change the pocket angles and add fringe to the sleeves to make it more like the older ones if they’re pushing forward with this design. I have to admit- the best part of a fringe jacket is swinging your arms around and feeling/hearing the fringe flap. The snap cuffs are also better than the zippers IMO, unless it is a CR design. Now, if they wanted to do a Board racer in Western style- I have pictures.
View attachment 278015
The modern Lewis version misses the target too.

This kind of pocket angle always fascinates me, similar to the D-1 jacket.

I wonder why the more vertical angled ones are way more popular than this, as we only see so few of them on jackets.

They seem better for carrying things, but not putting your hands into. I really like them, but the zippers are a must to keep unwanted items from falling in.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
At this point i am pretty much convinced they are pulling different combinations randomly out of a hat...
I wish they would fix the lingering pattern issues rather than focus on recycling them with different cosmetic overhauls.
Agreed. Kind of like playing the old Mr Potatoe Head toy back in the 80s. Random switching of parts etc. The last few attempts have just looked tacky out of style IMO. But to each his own.

Work on refining the existing product line, construction, odd little nuanced pattern work etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112