Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hiking, skiing and swimming in 1930's Finland

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
The Finnish Broadcasting Company YLE has digitized some interesting videos for all to see what kind of equipment and clothing people had when they hiked to Lapland during the 1930s. First we have a silent short film of those magnificent men in their tall boots and caps from year 1937. The second one is also a silent film on skiing and from year 1939. You can try your Finnish or Swedish skills by trying to read the intertitles! However to easy up the things the third on skiing tourism film is equipped with English commentary. It was shot in 1938.

If we move souther in the country, we will arrive to the fourth film which was filmed at the city of Vaasa in 1933. Apart from these films I selected for you, there are hundreds of films of different topics digitized in the Archive. Please let me know if you are interested of these. Most of them are either silent films, with music or few with Finnish commentary. Some of the videoclips are only available in Finland, but all of these should play just fine in all countries.

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
Hei Martti,

Thanks for posting those great period films! Now if I could just find some Reindeer here in Northern Virginia to pull my Akja when it snows!!!! :D

reading08js7.jpg

Cheers,

Patrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR