Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hildalgo hat

warbird

One Too Many
vintage68 said:
There's a company called The Last Best West that makes this very hat. They call it The Hidalgo fittingly enough:

http://www.thelastbestwest.com/western_movie_hats.htm

Ask for Longfellow.

I bet majormoore, JP designs and probably several others around here could make that hat for a lot less than they want for one. It is very typical for western hat makers to charge tremendous amounts for hats that others will make just as good for much less. But well known makers can and do charge high prices because so many western hats are sold every year especially so called movie hats.

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the help guys but I actually brought this thread back to life in hopes of getting some help to develop a flask like the one in the movie, Thanks again

Magus

Practically Family
Dr Trinidad said:
Thanks for all the help guys but I actually brought this thread back to life in hopes of getting some help to develop a flask like the one in the movie, Thanks again

If its leather...I can usually make it. If you have a photo.

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
No was hoping one of the great tech guys here could find a movie still with the flask in it, Cant see how it stitched well enough in the movie to make it.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hey Dr. T, looks like nobody remembered much about the flask or doesn't have the movie, or can't see details either.

I have a leather covered glass flask from Abercrombie & Fitch, back when they really were Abercrombie & Fitch. That uses a zipper. But not what we're talking about, obviously.

If I were to make it, I would use medium-weight or thicker flexible grain leather, and make it to fit a longstanding glass flask from some common whisky purveyor. I would make it from one piece of leather, doubled at the base, would wet the leather first and sew it along the sides with a welt. I'd use awl, linen thread, saddler's needles. Wet leather will stretch and conform better while working and the awl will penetrate easier.

I would make it fit very snugly up to the tapering part at the top. It will stretch a bit later and loosen up. I would secure the top part by using a small leather punch and round thong at each side. That lets you remove the glass easily for cleaning or replacement. A strap with loops in the ends could be secured via those thongs, as desired.

When entirely dry, I would paint the edges black and seal them. Then treat the leather with wax-based leather treatment (e.g. Sno-Seal) or mink oil. That will make a tan leather turn a nice medium brown, as seen in the knife sheath below (my work).

You might already know all this and be looking for a way to make an exact movie replica, but that's the best I can offer! Never saw the flick.

- Bill

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
hey Wood thats a big help and should get me headed in the right direction. It was very kind of you to help me out. Would still like to find a close up of the original but this will definitely help me get started! Thanks again!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy