Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Bros. Grizzly Jacket Review

AdeeC

Practically Family
I guess unlike most fashion brands out there one gets what they pay for in buying a Himmel, GW or Aero. They are not cheap but their key differences are reflected by the price point and not to mention intended use. Personally I prefer the mouton Grizzly's. The hair on hide just look too hard core for aesthetic balance for my taste. As for Shinki Vs FQHH CXL we are talking different beasts here. Would be impossible to make a CXL jacket with the same high end refined finish expected of a Shinki product. The CXL is just too tough and thick to work with. Someone told me it reminds them of old fashioned welding aprons and it does feel that way when new. But given ample time to break in it becomes awesome.

Last edited:
I'm with Ton here - He's dead on re. everything said ITT and I'd just like to add that Aero's CR is a surprisingly functional motorcycle jacket! I honestly didn't think for a second it would even be a decent riding jacket especially because Aero MC/Brando jacket wasn't, so I was very surprised to discover it is one of the better and more functional riding jackets I've had, even with just shoulder gussets. And this is coming from a Ducati owner, which should speak enough.

IXL

One Too Many
Having handled the like weight Vicenza offered by Aero, I repectfully disagree. The lighter hide, I feel I could rip apart with my bare hands. I personally wouldn't trust it on a motorcycle, particularly mine, which is a full time death machine. A scooter? Maybe.

We have scooters and they will do over 100mph, and the BMW one will do that with a passenger. In your estimation, at what speed does one need to achieve before moving into the "heavier protective weight leather, required" category?

I certainly hope my statement about fashion/style is not considered as heaping these jackets in with Cole Hann, Marc Jacobs etc... That's not at all what I meant. There's obviously no comparison there and I assumed that was understood.
We have scooters and they will do over 100mph, and the BMW one will do that with a passenger. In your estimation, at what speed does one need to achieve before moving into the "heavier protective weight leather, required" category?
if you have a scooter that goes over 100mph you need a priest. Not a leather jacket.

Anything over 30mph and you are hamburger in my estimation.

Have to say IXL. I'd have bet my bottom dollar you rode a sporty. With that handle, you HAVE to ride a sporty. But I admit...I might be bringing some baggage to the table. :)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My thing about hair on hide jackets is their propensity to *shed*, while the mouton ones are stable, but that aside, it's a sharp looking jacket.
I spoke with an old friend the other night to whom I asked what he and his girlfriend did with themselves on weekends. He said, "Oh, we just stay home and groom each other."

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Ton here - He's dead on re. everything said ITT and I'd just like to add that Aero's CR is a surprisingly functional motorcycle jacket! I honestly didn't think for a second it would even be a decent riding jacket especially because Aero MC/Brando jacket wasn't, so I was very surprised to discover it is one of the better and more functional riding jackets I've had, even with just shoulder gussets. And this is coming from a Ducati owner, which should speak enough.
That's good enough for me!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Since when is scooter a motorcycle?
it is not, it is a toilet bowl on wheels, and you ride it with the same posture you read newspaper,
easily the scariest vehicle mankind ever invented, and surprisingly are mostly driven by beginner riders that some can't even ride bicycle and they even multitasking on it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'd have to say that your jacket is the best looking Grizzly I've seen. Not my style, were I to wear one I'd have to be sure that bear is NOT in season, but yours is beautiful. I won't weigh in on what's suitable for M.C. riding as I don't ride.

Worf

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'd have to say that your jacket is the best looking Grizzly I've seen. Not my style, were I to wear one I'd have to be sure that bear is NOT in season, but yours is beautiful. I won't weigh in on what's suitable for M.C. riding as I don't ride.

Worf
Thank you for the very kind words! I appreciate it!

Edward

Bartender
Always great to see a review of a new jacket. This one looks interesting!

My thing about hair on hide jackets is their propensity to *shed*, while the mouton ones are stable, but that aside, it's a sharp looking jacket.

That would be my reservation too. I used to have a beautiful pair of Zimbawean shields (very similar to Zulu shields, but from Zimbabwe...) that hung in my lounge. Looked great... alas, they started to moult over time, and then moths got in 'em and I had to throw them out in the end. Real shame.

When I was at the Aero factory, Murray showed me some black/white hair on hid stuff that apparently6 a lot of Japanese guys loved on their D pocket types.... looked really cool.

The mouton Grizzlies I'd never seen before I started hanging out here. Wasn't a fan to begin with, but now.... Oh, my o I want one. Gah...

Since when is scooter a motorcycle?

There's the technical distintion (I think, in the main, a scooter has a 'step thru' shape, and you sit on the engine, rather than directly behind it), but yeah, with scooters getting ever bigger and more powerful, it's more style than substance now. I guess the one advantage of the scooter design is you're more likely to be able to jump clear in a spill.... Interesting, though, that scooters haven't attracted the same culture of safety gear than you see on bikes (helmets asdie - the standard for both being the same here in the UK). Guess a lot of folks still think they're all mod hairdryers? I do wish, though, that thre were more of the 49cc type of thing around in motorcycle form - those all seem to be scooters nowadays. Aesthetically less appealling to me, but I can see the practicality as a city runabout, I guess.

Pretty much. I don't think that at that speed it matters all that much what you fell off....

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yep...to me Grizzly jackets always looked bulky and puffy more like a wooly vest being worn over a leather jacket whereas the Himel appears more tailored with that style 'incorporated' into the jacket. Not so radical.
Yeah its definitely different and more streamlined than most other grizzlies which is what I like. Very unique jacket overall I feel.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting thread.

Dude, your mistake was stating that Himel jackets are inherently superior to other jackets, including Aero jackets in particular. As the subsequent discussion has illustrated, the endless subjective factors that comprise the “quality” of a jacket render any proclamation of superiority indefensible.

Ironically, those who politely chastised Dude’s ill-advised statement are largely guilty of the same infraction, albeit much less direct in presentation. CXL is best . . . Japanese jackets are fashion garments . . . etc.

I have made no secret of my love of Shinki HH. That said, I do not believe Shinki is superior to other HHs. Rather, Shinki HH best satisfies my subjective preferences, and best meets my subjective needs/uses. I have handled most of the other leathers discussed here, and none better match my preferences.

I have also made no secret of my utter hatred of Horween FQHH/CXL (aka the suit of armor) (sorry Ken). FQHH/CXL may provide superior protection during a motorcycle crash, but in all other respects, it is infinitely less functional than medium weight HHs. It is rigid, inflexible, and outright uncomfortable. IMHO, rigid and uncomfortable is the antithesis of “functional.” Of course, my definition of functional is predicated entirely on non-motorcycles uses. If one requires maximum protection to withstand a motorcycle crash, the analysis is entirely different.

Another irony worth noting: I suspect that very few people have personal experience with all of the leathers discussed here, and some are making broad judgments without the requisite first hand knowledge.

There are also undeniable brand loyalties influencing this discussion, and understandably so. Not surprisingly, those who favor Aero were displeased with the subtle disparagement of Aero, and came to Aero’s defense. I have done the same in relationship to the brands that I favor.

There is also a subtle bias against more expensive jackets that inevitably influences these discussions. Like everything else, a jacket’s “worth” is inherently subjective. ZO6 owners mock Ferrari owners for paying too much money for an equal performing car. Ferrari owners respond with a long list of factors that warrant the extra cost. Neither is right, and neither is wrong. The only wrong position is denigrating those who espouse the opposing viewpoint.

In the end, Dude’s statement was ill-advised, but the response was also a wee bit overdone.

Net net: We all are looking for something different, and we therefore prioritize and exalt different factors. Dude’s emphasis on certain elements of a jacket’s construction is no more correct or incorrect than Ton’s emphasis on thickness and protection. The key is mutual respect for opposing opinions. Fortunately, mutual respect is a cornerstone of this great community.

Signing off from the Okavango Delta in Botswana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW