Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Bros jacket, 1st winter update

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RMC? They loose money on their jackets or all their gear?
Must be a labor of love which I feel many of the brands we talk about are too

It’s not a labor of love. RMC’s owner has zero interest in repro stuff, amekaji, etc. RMC’s founder, now the head of Toys McCoy is a collector/enthusiast.

I can’t deny that they make cool stuff but there are a lot of things said about the RMC’s owner’s connections, if you catch my meaning. *Godfather theme plays*

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I appreciate you sharing that.

I read it, but I couldn't really quite understand from reading that though why there is tension errors in one area of a stitch line and not on other areas of that same stitch line.
perhaps it has to do with how much speed you kick on the pedal, with the same spring resistence on the supplied thread if you sew it slowly then the thread will pass through the spring clamp just enough to not sagging or too tight, but if you amp up the speed by kicking the pedal more then the supplied thread is lagging behind than the forward motion of the material sewn guided by the teething and the sewing foot, so it would get a tighter stitches perhaps on some particular spots that you give more gas to the pedal, maybe for that reason my mother likes to sew with manual pedal so at least her feet will reach a rhythm and will never get too fast, btw I can not use sewing machine, especially manual sewing machine it's like riding fixie bike, you can pedal forward or backward but the pedal on the sewing machine is a lot less logical than pedal on a bicycle, somehow I cant consistently make the pedal move forward but instead going foward and backward randomly lololol...

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
When I talked with Dave on the phone he was a bit brash at first but after I started asking about vintage jackets and other makers he loosened up and shared a great deal of info with me. We all talked for like an hour one time, talking about working out and all kinds of things. That's what surprised me the most about this.
I know he wouldn't find my jacket acceptable but at this point it's just a pride thing, he thinks I used bully tactics to achieve my goal when it really wasn't like that. He could have just ended this thread at page 3 or 4.

I'll keep the jacket because I wouldn't want to upset somebody else if they don't like it plus it fits good and they the resale market is so bad for most brands. That's why I was trying to get the best I could so i could keep it for as long as it fits. No loss really as I have a jacket that fits.

your jacket looks and fit great on you from another thread, maybe you won't even see all these if you went with tonal stitching or darker stitching, and other people 100% I guarantee will only see how nice the jacket looks , maybe once you have it for longer and wear it more you will come to love it and will forget about this details, but on the other hand perhaps you will never forget how its maker reaction and how you are on his banned list.

jonbuilder

I don’t think members here are pilling on, I believe is more a case that there’s a majority that sees his behaviour as abusive and would like him to change, and do the right thing.

I doubt anyone wants HB to go broke, but that he treats his customers with the respect they deserve and paid for.
No majority, the majority has not even posted to this thread a vocal minority is speaking. It has happened before with Good Wear and LW. Both are still making jackets for satisfied customers

marker2037

Practically Family
What I want to know is what the silent silent partner aka the ‘other Himel Bro’ of Himel Bros. has to say about this…

All due respect to Himel and his employees, that video calling out Damon as being a troll and bully is one of the most absurd things I have ever seen from a business owner. Himel markets themselves as any other social media brand (IG “tribe” and YouTube slow pouring of coffee couch chat time with your host, Dave). This is where they live and the format they choose to run their business in, which is perfectly fine mind you. But to say that people shouldn’t use social media or the internet (he’s referring to this forum obviously) to post honest reviews/experiences of their products is a bit of a paradox.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Having now sampled and currently owning GW, Eastman, Thedi, Aero, Kelso, Vanson and vintage Wolf thanks to my time here on TFL, I was looking towards a HB perhaps for sometime in my future....

I will likely look no more at HB now given what has sadly recently transpired with them.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Having now sampled and currently owning GW, Eastman, Thedi, Aero, Kelso, Vanson and vintage Wolf thanks to my time here on TFL, I was looking towards a HB perhaps for sometime in my future....

I will likely look no more at HB now given what has sadly recently transpired with them.
Everyone should decide for themselves whether or not they want to buy a Himel jacket now or in the feature. But I don't think sharing those thoughts here adds any value to the discussion.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Everyone should decide for themselves whether or not they want to buy a Himel jacket now or in the feature. But I don't think sharing those thoughts here adds any value to the discussion.

Welp, personally I work in and value customer service and I'm not hearing good things in this thead, unfortunately, so there's that for deciding for myself.

To each his own.

Damon141

Practically Family
No majority, the majority has not even posted to this thread a vocal minority is speaking. It has happened before with Good Wear and LW. Both are still making jackets for satisfied customers
There is no doubt that many members will choose not to post here for various reasons but would they buy a Himel after seeing how he handled an obviously flawed jacket leaving his shop.

That's not even mentioning his rants on IG or YouTube where he says worse things about me and this community than what we discuss about him.

Damon141

Practically Family
The attacks continue
He won't post pictures of my jacket but he posts these

This is what you would expect a jacket that cost $2,500! To look like
D44E5A65-DE56-4CC5-8870-8B8BCCB889ED.jpeg

6736A6A4-A40B-4BF2-840E-2FAC1FF9F315.jpeg
DE597204-9F2D-4C33-B255-34B5EE66B8C1.jpeg
B1345A82-7348-4042-B50A-4542DFAE7E10.jpeg

93D98A72-AD51-4DF7-8D1C-2E0726BCBBB6.jpeg

Instead you get this and a whole lot of insults
4856ADC8-E8E0-4F9F-A593-54B77ABCF9CB.jpeg

54A6BD06-4B7E-4138-9A23-956590B223F1.jpeg

87CDDDC6-E623-4604-ADF9-AAC2B2EFA2E8.jpeg

BB97ED59-162F-4A81-8A8A-CB23E89FFB76.jpeg

4A3FFC56-2BB0-410F-BAF2-EF49D623DA20.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The attacks continue

View attachment 510614
View attachment 510615 View attachment 510616 View attachment 510617

View attachment 510618
View attachment 510619
View attachment 510620
View attachment 510621
View attachment 510625
View attachment 510626
Wait, he took out his macro lens to explore the stitching? I'm confused now.

IMG_0534.jpeg

Damon141

Practically Family
I'm really confused now, I thought stitching wasn't important again, But now he admits he understands the difference between clean work and not.

So if I was Anthropology ordering, I would have received a well made jacket?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The attacks continue

View attachment 510614
View attachment 510615 View attachment 510616 View attachment 510617

View attachment 510618
View attachment 510619
View attachment 510620
View attachment 510621
View attachment 510625
View attachment 510626
I'm really confused now, I thought stitching wasn't important again, But now he admits he understands the difference between clean work and not.

I do get it, it says; your move.

red devil

He;s just trying to get credit by any way possible as far as I can see.

If he makes something it is great, no matter what.

If it is another maker, it is inferior no matter what.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
That's why this thread or forum is still alive because of the vocal minority, because only with inactive lurkers would this forum be dead.

To me it’s says:
“10 years ago we were able to produce this kind of work at this level of refinement”.

Your jacket (and others) combined with subsequent posts from the brand say:
“Things have changed and today we cannot and it’s not aboot that anyway.”

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
When I talked with Dave on the phone he was a bit brash at first but after I started asking about vintage jackets and other makers he loosened up and shared a great deal of info with me. We all talked for like an hour one time, talking about working out and all kinds of things. That's what surprised me the most about this.
I know he wouldn't find my jacket acceptable but at this point it's just a pride thing, he thinks I used bully tactics to achieve my goal when it really wasn't like that. He could have just ended this thread at page 3 or 4.

I'll keep the jacket because I wouldn't want to upset somebody else if they don't like it plus it fits good and they the resale market is so bad for most brands. That's why I was trying to get the best I could so i could keep it for as long as it fits. No loss really as I have a jacket that fits.

From what I know from multiple sources, the whole brand loses money every year.

Yes thats true, resale for custom jackets especially is extremely poor unfortunately. The jacket does look really good on you, just not up close.

RMC is not as much of a labor of love as many other denim, boot, and repro brands as @Aloysius said. All the people who are super into the repro stuff like Atsushi from Freewheelers are gone and now do their own thing. (Atsushi used to be the head of Joe McCoy and when he got kicked out/left, he started Freewheelers).

Last edited:

generalquarters

New in Town
Interesting thread. I've always fancied a Himel bros Heron but the high price was always a deterrent. But I'm convinced now to not take the plunge.

Most expensive jacket i've owned was a flat head delraiser that cost $2500. Lovely, impeccably made jacket if you're looking at craftsmanship and stitching and all that. However, something about me and that jacket never clicked and I sold it off.

Favorite jacket is a $900 type 3 goatskin jacket from Schott due to comfort and quality being at a nice balance. I think I'll stick to jackets in this range even though they are not considered Top of the Line-God Tier-Holy Grail status jacket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch