Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Bros jacket, 1st winter update

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Not trying to be a dick here and I don't sew either but I see inconsistencies with every pic you posted.

I'm clearly one of the few and most vocal posting in favor of Himel. I'm biased of course since I bought two jackets from him and met him in person twice. He's actually a really nice guy. Thinks highly of himself sure, and defintiely has that "F you" punk rock attitude at times, but still very nice.

As far as him posting here, I don't see that ending well for OP or him. I hope the conversation can continue privately and a resolution that both sides are happy with is achieved.

For the record, I still think the subject jacket is jacked, should have never left his shop and I think Damon should be taken care of. @Damon141 , you have my support on that front.
Picture1.jpg

Less we forget what we're talking about here, a $2650 jacket.

If you believe the OP's jacket is jacked, what is there to defend especially given Himel's attitude towards it all?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Not trying to be a dick here and I don't sew either but I see inconsistencies with every pic you posted.
Absolutely, the Albert Richard shows inconsistencies. But not nearly as bad as the Himel and more importantly, the Albert Richard wasn't a luxury product like a Himel.

I used the Albert Richard as an example because it's stitched using cotton thread. Like @red devil suggested maybe it's better to compare Himel to Lost Worlds: also made one at a time, to the dimensions of the individual customer, using cotton thread.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I too would like to comment briefly on my experience with Himel Bros. I have never had any negative experiences with their customer service. The conversations were always insightful, interesting and purposeful. He was a leading vintage leather jacket collector and was always willing to share his knowledge (blog The Art of Vintage Leather Jacket). Of course, collecting and making leather jackets are not the same. However, I am still pleased at how innovative the Himel Bros. leather jacket collection is. Of course, the models are based on originals, but they have that certain something, that special touch, which I really appreciate. Based on my experience (six Himel leather jackets), I can say I was satisfied with all the leather jackets, also in terms of sewing. All had their small but acceptable flaws. The PineCrest stitching was even on the level of a FW. As already mentioned several times in this thread, the OP's jacket should not have passed the CQ like this. But I also think that this should be a matter between buyer and seller and a public platform is probably the worst place to clarify such things.

jeo

One Too Many
View attachment 508726

Less we forget what we're talking about here, a $2650 jacket.

If you believe the OP's jacket is jacked, what is there to defend especially given Himel's attitude towards it all?

Don’t understand your post.

Have you seen me defend him in regards to the issue at hand, which is the OP’s jacket?

No, you’ve seen the opposite.

I’ve only posted things to balance things out that will be viewed as me posting in his favor because I’m biased, but not defending anyone. Not my job to defend his brand. That’s his job.

jeo

One Too Many
Absolutely, the Albert Richard shows inconsistencies. But not nearly as bad as the Himel and more importantly, the Albert Richard wasn't a luxury product like a Himel.

I used the Albert Richard as an example because it's stitched using cotton thread. Like @red devil suggested maybe it's better to compare Himel to Lost Worlds: also made one at a time, to the dimensions of the individual customer, using cotton thread.
Sure, you're absolutely right, but I'm not the one who posted a comparison of a modern luxury brand to a vintage jacket, you did.

If you make that comparison you suggested with LW, Himel will lose 9 out of 10 times.

There are flaws in all jackets. Nothing is perfect. If you go looking for perfection, you'll be disappointed every single time.

Of course there are levels and we need to be aware of what to expect from who.

jeo

One Too Many
True but the level of refinement, the best in class stitch quality and count. This stuff was called out directly from the brand...it's a hard shift to now advertise to the opposite.

Yes of course most every brand declare themselves "the best", especially the ones that have that attitude. Lost Wolrds was mentioned. Himel falls in that category as well. I think you can add BK in there if my memory serves me correct back when Andy (i think?) was posting on TFL everyone was shit and only his jackets were good.

They're most certainly not going to say, "you won't get the best stitching with us but please do drop your had earned money on our jackets" but I totally get what you mean.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Yes of course most every brand declare themselves "the best", especially the ones that have that attitude. Lost Wolrds was mentioned. Himel falls in that category as well. I think you can add BK in there if my memory serves me correct back when Andy (i think?) was posting on TFL everyone was shit and only his jackets were good.

They're most certainly not going to say, "you won't get the best stitching with us but please do drop your had earned money on our jackets" but I totally get what you mean.
But isn't it precisely these manufacturers who, in my opinion, have brought innovation to this niche market in a positive sense in recent years and have sometimes left the beaten track...

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Didn’t he say he was going to answer through the “chosen complaint platform”? Maybe he prefer Instagram where he can just block people who don’t go along with his narrative.

Indeed, he can also say the earth is flat or that such jackets are handmade products and as such inconsistent stitching is to be celebrated as a hand made product with no repercussions...

Edit: That reminds me of a story I heard in marketing in Italy. One of the biggest producers of canned tuna there once advertised lower quality tuna - it did not have a firm texture - as "soft enough to cut with a grissini". He was very successful as people lapped it up. Himel is trying to do the same in selling botched or purposefully ignored QC as a feature....

Not my job to defend his brand. That’s his job.
I think it will be largely difficult if not impossible for him here, and that's why the IG posts.
Indeed, he can also say the earth is flat or that such jackets are handmade products and as such inconsistent stitching is to be celebrated as a hand made product with no repercussions...

Edit: That reminds me of a story I heard in marketing in Italy. One of the biggest producers of canned tuna there once advertised lower quality tuna - it did not have a firm texture - as "soft enough to cut with a grissini". He was very successful as people lapped it up. Himel is trying to do the same in selling botched or purposefully ignored QC as a feature....
This is most certainly how it reads to me.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Who determines what is good for what price, the market! If the market and thus the customers are not satisfied with the delivered product, e.g. a Himel Bros leather jacket, the brand will disappear from the market sooner or later. I can still remember well when I bought my H-D FLHTC and realized that there was still welding residue on the steering head and the whole mess was simply painted over or what clearance and steering wheel play my Chevrolet Caprice had, actually completely unacceptable things for the price but obviously the customers accepted it...

We now wait for him to use a jacket stitched like Damon’s to be showcased in a video.

I’m still floored by his definition of bespoke. If he truly believes that then holy shit. If he doesn’t and still puts it out…

This is why I don’t put jackets under a microscope. My life is stressed enough. I would be wearing the heck out of Damon’s jacket and be dumb and happy about it.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I think it will be largely difficult if not impossible for him here, and that's why the IG posts.

As cool as the internet and especially IG can be, it also can be deadly. A few negative posts from well-known people and that's it... at least for companies that operate in a niche market and therefore appeal to a small and well-informed community. BK is one such example, initially betted on the wrong horse with a loud-mouthed employee and therefore never making it out of the niche...

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m still floored by his definition of bespoke. If he truly believes that then holy shit. If he doesn’t and still puts it out…

After the “bespoke” bucket hats which explicitly come in set sizes, I don’t understand how any of his apologists can defend his definition of bespoke. The bucket hats even have a little disclaimer about how as “bespoke” products, orders are final.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Don’t understand your post.

Have you seen me defend him in regards to the issue at hand, which is the OP’s jacket?

No, you’ve seen the opposite.

I’ve only posted things to balance things out that will be viewed as me posting in his favor because I’m biased, but not defending anyone. Not my job to defend his brand. That’s his job.

My post is to remind those who need it of the stitching on OP's $2650 jacket, and comparing it to the examples of others that Mark posted, to illustrate the degree of imperfection because as you pointed out, Mark's examples were imperfect, frankly acceptably so, but the OP's jacket is even more imperfect and not acceptable.

Have I seen you defend him? In your own words you are posting things to balance things out; balance what out? You may think that balancing things out and defending him are different things, but in essence they are. Because, what is there to balance out, Himel delivered a subpar $2650 jacket, and his response is arrogance. What is there to balance out?

You say it isn't your job to defend his brand, and yet here you are. Sure, maybe not to the fervor of the Teslarati defending Elon, but defending you indeed are.

What here has Himel done right that requires you to balance out? He delivered a subpar jacket to an unsuspecting consumer, and then responded with arrogance. And this is not the first time.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^^...to all the above.
Hopefully the rails don’t come off totally in this thread before @himelator takes his “next few days“ to “respond in detail” to these issues because i wanna hear it, we all wanna hear it.
But...lookin like a deep dive crash landing less he pulls up real f***n sooon!
B

jeo

One Too Many
My post is to remind those who need it of the stitching on OP's $2650 jacket, and comparing it to the examples of others that Mark posted, to illustrate the degree of imperfection because as you pointed out, Mark's examples were imperfect, frankly acceptably so, but the OP's jacket is even more imperfect and not acceptable.

Have I seen you defend him? In your own words you are posting things to balance things out; balance what out? You may think that balancing things out and defending him are different things, but in essence they are. Because, what is there to balance out, Himel delivered a subpar $2650 jacket, and his response is arrogance. What is there to balance out?

You say it isn't your job to defend his brand, and yet here you are. Sure, maybe not to the fervor of the Teslarati defending Elon, but defending you indeed are.

What here has Himel done right that requires you to balance out? He delivered a subpar jacket to an unsuspecting consumer, and then responded with arrogance. And this is not the first time.

The thread wasn’t to praise Himel but to show the bad stitching, so balancing that out. Without posts like mine, these threads usually turn to all negative, all bashing, and all piling on. So there’s your balance.

First I acknowledged a sub par jacket. Shared a little bit about my experience and said that I do not expect perfection.

Secondly I responded to a member saying they know Himel can stitch a clean jacket so I posted my cleanly stitched Himel.

Next I acknowledged Himel isn’t the place to go for laser precise stitching.

Then I said that OP should have done things differently but despite that I see things from his perspective.

Lastly someone asked me to post more pics of my Imperial pockets, so I thought I would share my Frobisher pockets which are not 100% perfect but acceptable just like Marc’s posting of the vintage jacket.

Only thing I really posted unsolicited was the development of the leather on my Frobisher.

I’m trying to be as balanced as I can while acknowledging my own biases.

I have my biases and clearly you have yours, but sure bud, you’re right, I’m defending him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes