Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Bros jacket, 1st winter update

58panheadfan

One Too Many
We have now read a lot in this thread about the comparison of how the manufacturer handled the customer complaint from @jeo vs. @Damon141 . It's okay to compare customer service from one customer to another, but it doesn't change the fact that working on the OP's jacket sucks and doesn't even need to be compared. Monsieur obviously has no pride in "his" work either, but is only out to make a profit or he's already up to his neck in financial difficulties that he simply can't afford a remake (both in terms of time and money). Well, I'm done with Himel Bros. on getting another leather jacket. Not, as already mentioned, because of his work (my jackets were all okay, not worth the price but I could have to stop buying more by myself) and the innovation he brought to this niche, but rather how he treats his customers and kick up the backside of his "Tribe". I used to get bottom smack from my parents when I was a kid, but I'm too old now to let a slob treat me like that.

There is a song by AC/DC to come into my mind "Dog eat Dog" ... synonymical for his self-destruction to ban some some good customers and thus his "tribe" or rather his breadwinners.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will say too that I can’t imagine the standards at Himel haven’t fallen. If I recall, @Superfluous would never have accepted the level of refinement seen on your first and Damon’s first jacket.

Have standards fallen or were they arbitrary? As you say Craig has high standards and is not afraid to voice his displeasure. It is the one person for whom you would better make sure the jacket is as good as possible.

I would also not be surprised, is he were instrumental in getting the remake for @jeo

Aloysius

Have standards fallen or were they arbitrary?

It strikes me that this might be the flipside of Himel’s Instagram- and social media-based approach to his company. He can tell who is most likely to object to the usual rushed work.

Like I’ve mentioned, the machinist seems to be skilled; he or she is just incredibly overburdened, considering Himel has a Field Leathers sized staff but is trying to be as big as Buzz Rickson’s or Aero.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Ok. So I suppose it’s fair to say that even though you were outside the Himel Bros return policy window, your interest in purchasing another jacket may have softened the idea of a rebuild on the first. Perhaps this is why Damon was not extended the same opportunity for a corrected jacket. That’s the sword he’s falling on I guess.

I will say too that I can’t imagine the standards at Himel haven’t fallen. If I recall, @Superfluous would never have accepted the level of refinement seen on your first and Damon’s first jacket. It’s a true shame that @superflous no longer posts here as I don’t believe he ever even remotely mentioned the desire for a rebuild due to quality control/construction, which leads me to believe the jacket(s) he received were in fact very well made. We had many exchanges about the qualities that make jackets worth the asking price and his standards were far more rigid than mine. His were so strict that I often felt he missed out on some of the joys of the hobby, which includes items built to looser standards (of course that does not include jackets purchased in the custom made price tier).
My Himel jackets were also very well made and I would not have accepted the quality of the OP's jacket at all.

Damon141

Practically Family
The earlier the better, my two jackets from 2015 a Pinecrest and an HTC X Peregrine were flawless (although I did not get a microscope for assessment). Leather from Himel Bros also uses, the American Oak Steerhide is still one of my favorite leather to this day.
These two mentioned were from DeeCee style right?
I'm thinking they took a little more time than normal considering these were going to be stocked jackets just like the pocket on the Brycelands video you can see him showing and talking about the neatness.

They were nice on you especially the Peregrine but no loss considering your amazing collection of off the rack jackets you have now, these are of tried and true patterns probably tweaked for many years. They all look great

willyto

One Too Many
My Intrepid was also great. Unfortunately I sized too small because I didn’t account for the reversible cloth and thickness.

I’ve been trying to hunt down one of the pullover ones but when the one appeared on my size I didn’t have the money.

All that doesn’t change the fact that the OP jacket is not a $2300 jacket based only on the terrible stitching mistakes. There is no way on earth to back that up. If that happens you suck it up as a maker and start again making it right before it leaves the shop. If for some reason the QC misses this and it gets to the final customer you own to the product and remake the jacket.

The 10% on the next order is an insult.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
we never know the age of his machinist, it is a boring job that a young person with steady hands in this digital age would probably happy to avoid, so perhaps only older generation are willing to do this job, and probably a decade since passed since the beginning of the brand, so his crew if they are the same people has aged 10 yrs older too and perhaps losing some eyesight, stamina and dexterity if they were middle age people when they started.

The earlier the better, my two jackets from 2015 a Pinecrest and an HTC X Peregrine were flawless (although I did not get a microscope for assessment). Leather from Himel Bros also uses, the American Oak Steerhide is still one of my favorite leather to this day.
It would seem to me then… if you order one today it’s essentially this?
IMG_4449.jpeg

I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist. No offense. I’m done.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
These two mentioned were from DeeCee style right?
I'm thinking they took a little more time than normal considering these were going to be stocked jackets just like the pocket on the Brycelands video you can see him showing and talking about the neatness.

They were nice on you especially the Peregrine but no loss considering your amazing collection of off the rack jackets you have now, these are of tried and true patterns probably tweaked for many years. They all look great
In fact, both of these jackets were from DeeCee Style. Thank you for the kind words and yes, many OTR jackets fit me quite well.

Aloysius

It’s Schrödinger’s QC. He says the ready to wear benefits from more consistency than the faux-bespoke, but then when people complain about the RTW the response is that it’s not made with the same attention as the faux-bespoke.

When of course the production process for both is the same and others like Aero use it without issue.

Damon141

Practically Family
It’s Schrödinger’s QC. He says the ready to wear benefits from more consistency than the faux-bespoke, but then when people complain about the RTW the response is that it’s not made with the same attention as the faux-bespoke.

When of course the production process for both is the same and others like Aero use it without issue.
Just from reading there is always a chance of a Faux bespoke to not fit or drape as well as off the rack. Some makers are better than others but there's always a risk, but a respectable maker will always make it right if it doesn't work, we have seen it with Langlitz and Thedi but there was a Himel Imperial a while back which fit terribly and instead of being remade, it was modified and didn't come out that well.

I literally racked my brain trying to find an off the row jacket to fit, it definitely can be a fun process for an enthusiast to pick every detail in a made to measure jacket but for me getting a J100 variant, i would have been fine off the rack if i could.

Aloysius

Just from reading there is always a chance of a Faux bespoke to not fit or drape as well as off the rack. Some makers are better than others but there's always a risk, but a respectable maker will always make it right if it doesn't work, we have seen it with Langlitz and Thedi but there was a Himel Imperial a while back which fit terribly and instead of being remade, it was modified and didn't come out that well.

I literally racked my brain trying to find an off the row jacket to fit, it definitely can be a fun process for an enthusiast to pick every detail in a made to measure jacket but for me getting a J100 variant, i would have been fine off the rack if i could.

Yeah to be honest I was very surprised when you went Himel for your cafe racer. Both because you could have gotten a great fit on one from any number of other makers, and because I would assume the point of dropping Himel megabucks is to get one of the unusual designs like the "Chevalier", not a cafe racer which everyone offers.

Damon141

Practically Family
Yeah to be honest I was very surprised when you went Himel for your cafe racer. Both because you could have gotten a great fit on one from any number of other makers, and because I would assume the point of dropping Himel megabucks is to get one of the unusual designs like the "Chevalier", not a cafe racer which everyone offers.
When I went with Himel (June '22) I had already entered the waiting list for a Route 66 Racer from Fields (Feb '22) so given I had over a year I figured it was June and I still had 6-7 months to get a jacket for this past winter.

Originally it was Lewis with the Super Sportsman but it f you remember reading I ordered at the time they lost their measurements guy R.I.P. so I had to cancel when they emailed me crazy measurements and then Ignored the following email. Bad timing is all.

Then it was on to Thedi with the first Cafe Racer on his site, more bad timing as he takes his yearly vacation around that time so then my options were a bit more limited.

Now that I'm blocked, does that mean my 10% is off the table?

Aloysius

My question was more why go to a niche maker for something as ubiquitous as a cafe racer, which pretty much every company offers? For instance Schott had a repro of the Beck you like in stock all last year.

This is more general curiosity, not about the botched construction itself.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
My question was more why go to a niche maker for something as ubiquitous as a cafe racer, which pretty much every company offers? For instance Schott had a repro of the Beck you like in stock all last year.

This is more general curiosity, not about the botched construction itself.
I think at 5'9" and with a 46"chest Damon had to go custom and took Himel's "bespoke" line.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
aero or vanson don't make the same shoulder drop and curved/ tapered band collar like that himel kensington though. and I think for a double straight chest pocket it's placement is among the most ideal, I think aero's chest pocket is a bit too high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy