Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HIMEL BROS - THE AVRO - DARK BROWN SHINKI HORSEHIDE OIL FINISH (44)

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
because there is no such thing as standard sizing oversaw by some governing body. lots of brands have all sorts of variations in their sizing, a 44 is a 44 as long as the chest equals a minimum of 44 inches and not under, that's roughly the idea of tags and however many inches anyone wants to add on after is up to them. From the Japanese jackets to smaller bespoke jackets they all vary in different ways. Not every jacket maker is cutting their jackets for older guys with beer bellies like Lost Worlds and not everyone is tapering their waists for skinny fits like the Japanese brands, so tag is a poor estimate at best and it just comes down to looking at exact measurements and comparing it to a good fitting jacket.

I wasn't actually picking a fight, just confused by the label, but you seem to be trying to make it one.

A 44 does not mean "minimum of 44 inches" (which would actually be less than 44, when you account for the thickness of the leather and lining), it means "fits someone with a 44 inch chest", much like when you buy a size 42 suit the chest would never be 42 inches. The standard chest ease on a cross-zip is 4-6 inches, not zero.

Lost Worlds isn't cut "for older guys with beer bellies" and the stereotypical "Japanese brand" fit isn't a super tapered waist. It's a skinny shoulder and chest with a flared out waist, so you have those wrong too.

I mentioned the sizing suggestion to help you sell the jacket, not to blame you for the bizarre labeling. I've made the same labeling comment elsewhere about other makers. (The Japanese are big offenders because they don't know what inches are thus think "44" means 'large', 42 means 'medium', etc and label accordingly with no link to what those numbers mean, with some exceptions like Buzz Rickson's. This one is confusing because it's a Canadian company.)

Last edited:

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I wasn't actually picking a fight, just confused by the label, but you seem to be trying to make it one.

A 44 does not mean "minimum of 44 inches" (which would actually be less than 44, when you account for the thickness of the leather and lining), it means "fits someone with a 44 inch chest", much like when you buy a size 42 suit the chest would never be 42 inches. The standard chest ease on a cross-zip is 4-6 inches, not zero.

Lost Worlds isn't cut "for older guys with beer bellies" and the stereotypical "Japanese brand" fit isn't a super tapered waist. It's a skinny shoulder and chest with a flared out waist, so you have those wrong too.

I mentioned the sizing suggestion to help you sell the jacket, not to blame you for the bizarre labeling. I've made the same labeling comment elsewhere about other makers. (The Japanese are big offenders because they don't know what inches are thus think "44" means 'large', 42 means 'medium', etc and label accordingly with no link to what those numbers mean, with some exceptions like Buzz Rickson's. This one is confusing because it's a Canadian company.)
ok I apologize

cajunfries

Familiar Face
Don‘t worry too much. Maybe you can add a ‚fits smaller‘ to your listing. Himel’s run notoriously small, so potential buyers will likely want to have a look at actual measurements anyway.

Despite the sometimes adverse bias against Himel, the ‚Avro‘ remains a spectacular jacket. I wouldn’t buy new, after Davids conduct with dissatisfied customers, but I am sure in the market if the right size pops up.
I wish you good luck with the sale.
what are the bias, for those yet familiar

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
what are the bias, for those yet familiar

Ah, don’t really want to go there. I never had any negative experience with Himel, but he has a talent to offend unhappy customers. Also, it appears that ordering MTM jackets with him can be hit or miss, which really is not acceptable at the prices he charges.

Still, there is criticism that I personally find inappropriate. There seems to be a pronounced element of personal dislike as opposed to the in my eyes more than justified criticism of his conduct.
I am sure you will have no problem tracking down the respective threads using the search function. Always best to form your own opinion.

Psant25

One Too Many
I think anyone on this forum that sees a listing for a size 44 if they are a 36-48 they will take a look if interested.

Everyone knows tag size means little and fit is pretty subjective and based on personal preference

Now for an ebay listing with a lot more unexperienced leather jacket aficionados sure do something like i do “aero highwayman size 38(fits 42).

Jacket is not for me but i will bump a great contributing member and a great looking jacket.

Aloysius

I think anyone on this forum that sees a listing for a size 44 if they are a 36-48 they will take a look if interested.

No. I clicked to see pictures of the jacket. I wouldn’t have sought a listing for a 44.

cajunfries

Familiar Face
Ah, don’t really want to go there. I never had any negative experience with Himel, but he has a talent to offend unhappy customers. Also, it appears that ordering MTM jackets with him can be hit or miss, which really is not acceptable at the prices he charges.

Still, there is criticism that I personally find inappropriate. There seems to be a pronounced element of personal dislike as opposed to the in my eyes more than justified criticism of his conduct.
I am sure you will have no problem tracking down the respective threads using the search function. Always best to form your own opinion.
gotcha. Any general consensus on their quality though? with regards to leather quality, thickness, sitching, etc

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
gotcha. Any general consensus on their quality though? with regards to leather quality, thickness, sitching, etc

Certainly no consensus i.r.o. stitching. Mine are nicely stitched, and I don’t seek perfection. Others have been disappointed, and there are plenty of pictures around.

Leather is great, IMO. have only tried Himels shinki (black pigment, black oil, bdown), and it’s absolutely tops in terms of texture, shine, heft and smell.

Aloysius

Leather is great, IMO. have only tried Himels shinki (black pigment, black oil, bdown), and it’s absolutely tops in terms of texture, shine, heft and smell.

I don’t know of many other makers sourcing that oil tanned hide from them, at least in the west, so he deserves some credit for seeking out something that isn’t the ‘standard’ (among workwear brands) of the black pigment finished brown horsehide.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I don’t know of many other makers sourcing that oil tanned hide from them, at least in the west, so he deserves some credit for seeking out something that isn’t the ‘standard’ (among workwear brands) of the black pigment finished brown horsehide.

Greg Field has (had?) an oil tanned pony hide. Looks the part, but is a bit too soft to the hand for my liking.
So yeah, Himels oil-tan horse is pretty unique, I guess. Even here, I strongly prefer the (dark) brown over the black.

All personal preferences here, of course.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This is one of Himel's coolest designs imo. Of course it's not really his design as it's basically a mashup of a Leathertogs and a (Canadian) Durable. The best of both worlds, motorcycle jacket and halfbelt. I would be seriously tempted if it was my size. GLWS

IMG_0109.jpeg
IMG_4313.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Greg Field has (had?) an oil tanned pony hide. Looks the part, but is a bit too soft to the hand for my liking.
When Greg started his business he offered a beautiful full aniline brown Shinki horsehide which I guess was comparable to Himel's oil tanned pony. He had to discontinue it because there was huge variation in color and grain between hides. Later he offered an (imo) even nicer semi aniline pony which I absolutely love because of its color depth and grain. But I have to agree with you that it lacked a bit of firmness. Eventually he discontinued the semi aniline pony for the same reasons he discontinued the full aniline.

If I'm not mistaken Himel circumvents the colormatching problem by hand-dying some of the hides that are too far off in terms of color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner