Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historical Hats & Reenacting History

I envision this thread to be used for the picture presentation of hats used by reenactors & living history presenters regardless of the era. It would also be a good place to present clones of unique hats worn by real people in the past such as Red's Olcott & the Slatts Gill, or Bob's grandfather's hat.

If you saw the movie "Lincoln" then you know Daniel Day-Lewis played him brilliantly.

29546c9e8b.jpg

29547e6384.jpg

But the best amateur reenactors of Abe & Mary Todd Lincoln I have ever seen are the Daniels.

29543741fb.jpg

29542730e5.jpg

2954552007.jpg

They do a one act play of the Lincoln's evening together at the White House just before going out to Ford's Theatre. Essentially the Lincoln's last private time spent together.

295442eb7a.jpg

It is said that President Lincoln & Senator Stephen Douglas never liked each other.

295418e110.jpg

Any other historians or living history presenters?

Now yer talking! My kind of thread. I have often thought of doing Civil War reenacting, but I'm not into camping in the mud. I try to re-create historic figures of Oregon State University in their signature hats. Mostly from vintage images I find in our archives. I am always on the hunt for the next project. I also name my hats for these Beaver ancestors, such as my "William Jasper Kerr" Derby. Kerr was the 9th President of the college and built much of what I see out of the windows where I work.

Kerr William Jasper Derby c1913.jpg
5Jan17 Topcoat and Derby.jpg

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I enjoy doing events of the flintlock era. Mostly US War of Independence, but also French and Indian or War of 1812.

Here is the common "Cocked Hat" of the Rev War period:
20150901_190659%20Guide_zpsg7rojhke.jpg

Here is a pair of Light Infantry Helmets one of which is the four piece dome while the other is the two piece dome.
20160927_123417_zpshsdeahpa.jpg

Slouch hat with folded up side for shoulder arms:
Historic%20Jefferson%20College%20hawk%20block%20crop%20rotate%20dlm%20sharp_zpsltn5wcmi.jpg

Simple Workman's cap of a member of the Horn Guild:
100_5065%20Smaller_zpsgfny6hkq.jpg

These range from South Carolina, Mississippi and Louisiana. There is a lot to this hobby.
Fed

Here would be a good place to ask this question. I am a board member of a local historical society. We do living history events for the oldest house in my town, built in 1849. Our era that we are showcasing is the 1860ish period. Other than a derby (which may be a little later) what would be an appropriate hat for a local shop owner, "citizen". I know top hats would be period, I need an everyday hat.
I figure that Loungers who look at this thread in particular would have some suggestions. I know I should research on my own. But I value the experience and knowledge of the hive collective.

Here would be a good place to ask this question. I am a board member of a local historical society. We do living history events for the oldest house in my town, built in 1849. Our era that we are showcasing is the 1860ish period. Other than a derby (which may be a little later) what would be an appropriate hat for a local shop owner, "citizen". I know top hats would be period, I need an everyday hat.
I figure that Loungers who look at this thread in particular would have some suggestions. I know I should research on my own. But I value the experience and knowledge of the hive collective.
I see reenactors of "townies" of that era usually wearing hats that resemble a modified version of an English carriage driver's hat, both in felt & straw. The taller derby or bowler was also being worn. Younger boys/men were starting to wear flat caps but I don't know much about their style or construction. "Shop owners & bankers" are usually wearing vests & armbands also.
4ff4ee3b60.jpg

I see reenactors of "townies" of that era usually wearing hats that resemble a modified version of an English carriage driver's hat, both in felt & straw. The taller derby or bowler was also being worn. Younger boys/men were starting to wear flat caps but I don't know much about their style or construction. "Shop owners & bankers" are usually wearing vests & armbands also.
4ff4ee3b60.jpg
I am trying to tell the story of transportation in the 1860s Willamette Valley. Railroads came to Albany later than our historical period, but most engineers of the era wore their suits and ties to work. They were the rock stars of the mid 19th century. I am drawn to these low flat topped hats with a sporty curl to the brim. Now another search begins...this place is evil...

Red, here is another good example of what was being worn.

62a4e029ce.jpg
Thanks Jack, it does seem like a low crown and curly brim shows up in most vintage images we have. The other style that is common is a stove pipe top hat. I might need to start a search for this style, I remember Matt having something close that might be a possibility. A straw with these lines would also be a possibility. I could probably have Mike Miller build me one, I'm always in his queue somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner