Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History Channel Gone Wrong

Highway Patrol

New in Town
I would write the History Channel on June 6th, asking them how they thought Ice Road Truckers marathons were credible substitutes for programming about D-Day. I also reminded them that they should live up to the reponsibilities that the name of their channel implied, especially when it came to educating American youth about these important events, but I only received a form email in reply, something like they would take it under advisement. So every D-Day, I now just watch Band of Brothers, back to front.

Technically speaking, the present is not history. The present is the future's history. The History Channel is more The Present Channel than anything else today. And it's not even a documentary time capsule of what's really happening today because of all the fake "reality" programming. At best, it's a cultural time capsule which records the ever descending decline of American television. The problem for future historians (of the distant future), is being able to discern that fact long after we're all gone and unable to correct them. It's quite possible they will interpret shows like this as accurate representations of how we once lived. For our reputation's sake, I can only hope not!
With that thought in mind, how do we know with any certainty that modern historians examining artifacts from thousands of years ago (and drawing conclusions about the culture(s) that deposited them where they were found) aren't doing the same thing? For all we know, everything we think we know about "ancient" cultures could be nothing more than a "best guess" scenario that is drastically wrong.

hatguy1

One Too Many
I was just thinking, does any one remember when the History Channel had shows about history? Vikings and The Bible, mine series, reality shows all night. What happened? It use to be my favorite channel.

I agree completely. I basically stopped watching the History Channel when they started running shows like "Ice Road Truckers" and that Antiques Roadshow and that pawn shop kinda reality shows. I spend much more time watching the Military History Channel though which stays more historical documentary.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
With that thought in mind, how do we know with any certainty that modern historians examining artifacts from thousands of years ago (and drawing conclusions about the culture(s) that deposited them where they were found) aren't doing the same thing? For all we know, everything we think we know about "ancient" cultures could be nothing more than a "best guess" scenario that is drastically wrong.

Real historians are subject to scrutiny and criticism from their professional peers. He or she better have original documents or archaeological evidence to back up any new, controversial statement. Similar to the way a scientist must expect to have his work criticized and his experiments duplicated by other scientists.

This is why it drives real historians up the wall when some amateur runs amuck with a handful of unconnected and possibly unverifiable "facts" and uses them to write a sensational new theory.

What Mark Twain called building a Brontosaurus out of 6 bones and a hundred barrels of plaster.

Many of the so called history shows I have seen depend more on a movie maker's imagination than on a historian's facts.

Real historians are subject to scrutiny and criticism from their professional peers. He or she better have original documents or archaeological evidence to back up any new, controversial statement. Similar to the way a scientist must expect to have his work criticized and his experiments duplicated by other scientists.
Ah, but at one time scientists "knew" the Earth was flat. At one time scientists "knew" flight was impossible for humans to recreate. At one time scientists "knew" each sperm contained a tiny, fully-formed human being. Consensus does not necessarily equal fact. I'm not attempting to say that everything we know is wrong, I'm merely allowing for the possibility that some of the things we think we know may not be completely accurate.

Many of the so called history shows I have seen depend more on a movie maker's imagination than on a historian's facts.
I've had the same experience a number of times. I can understand the use of Poetic License, say, during a conversation between two historical figures that was not recorded for posterity, but they lose me when they fictionalize recorded events.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Of course we don't know everything. The so called scientific facts you name are not facts at all because they were never proven. They were notions, or ideas, or theories. When better theories came along backed up by evidence, they were exploded.

Barbara Tuchman told about a friend who complimented her on her creativity in The Guns Of August, using a description of gathering storm clouds at the outbreak of the war to foreshadow future events.

She replied that it was not creative at all. It was a literal description of the weather on that day copied from old newspaper accounts backed up by original weather reports.

She also said she never made up a conversation, every one in her books was taken from original reports by eye witnesses, some from diaries and journals, some from minutes of the meetings.

That is what makes a historian.

When you depart from that standard you may have a historical novel but you don't have history.

Every historian I know of has the same problem - way more fascinating information and stories than they can use. They have to edit without mercy to stay with their story and not make it too discursive and too long. They don't have to make up anything.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Good news, the History Channel is showing The Legend of Shelby the Swamp Man. Now if thats not real history, what is? For the Sheldon Lee Cooper Ph.Ds out there, that was sarcasm!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
h6CEED1CF

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Television is all about entertainment, not education (a word we don't even use). Programming, because it is expensive, has to be entertaining to hold an audience. If they can take something away from the program -- an idea, a concept, or a fact -- so much the better. If you want merely to be entertained, watch TV. If you want to learn something, get of the couch and read a book.
I havent read all the post here but this one caught my eye.
In the UK we have a lot of imported TV from the US, some good, some educational but what on earth possessed the TV companies to make a program such as 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' It's not entertaining, nor educational does anyone watch it? I was drawn to it simply because it was described as simply a waste of TV air time in one TV review paper.
I have to admit I found Duck Dynasty a bit funny though dont tune in every episode, but the Storage war type of programs! Just how many storage lockers would you have to buy before you found things of real value but it appears there is something in almost every locker they open. In my opinion these shows must be faked.
J

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
You think ...
In my opinion, yes I do. it is meant to be entertainment after all.
What educational value can someone gain from watching someone buy some old household appliances, dirty old clothing and abandoned kids toys that are the usual fare at the front of these lockers. And whats in this box tucked at the back? 'Great great granddads old confederate civil war sword'
I have heard from one of the "stars" who left the show that the producers plant most of those valuable items in the lockers before the bidding starts. Not at all surprised.

And one of the 'stars' usually win the locker. How come an outsider never bids high enough.
It just surprises me that they bid thousands of $$$ for what appears to be junk for what the average person would not bid $10 for. Then buried in a box at the back is an old toy thats worth a fortune.;)

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my opinion, yes I do. it is meant to be entertainment after all.
What educational value can someone gain from watching someone buy some old household appliances, dirty old clothing and abandoned kids toys that are the usual fare at the front of these lockers. And whats in this box tucked at the back? 'Great great granddads old confederate civil war sword' ...

I was trying to be sarcastic with the "you think" comment and was agreeing with you.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I hate most of what the History Channel has become in the past few years. However, I do watch one of their "reality" shows (actually, it's the only "reality" show I watch) and it is "Mountain Men." It has nothing to do with history, but I find it to be pretty interesting.

- Ian

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I was trying to be sarcastic with the "you think" comment and was agreeing with you.

No problem :), its that non emotion thing with text. Even if you put god knows how many smileys it 'looks' like different meanings to different readers.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
No problem :), its that non emotion thing with text. Even if you put god knows how many smileys it 'looks' like different meanings to different readers.

I think you hit the nail right on the head! The History Channel, is turning into, The Sarcasm Channel. Now it makes total sense to me.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The History Channel had Tora Tora Tora, and a couple of other Pearl Harbor documentaries on real early in the morning on the 7th, then Pawn Stars on prime time. I really would not miss the channel if it went away!

p51

One Too Many
I know two people who were paid to try to 'sell' items on Pawn Stars that were never for sale, they even told them how to act and what to say.
The guy I bought my 1944 Willys MB Jeep from was filmed for 'American Pickers' and again, they told him what type of role they wanted. The guy can't do "gruff old codger who hates everyone" they tried to cast him into, he naturally smiles all the time and the producers didn't want that. His segment never aired.
I was on "Mail Call" on that network years ago and loved the experience. I so wish that show was still going. It had good ratings but they killed it anyway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael