Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of the Buco brand?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
maybe they just brought them into popularity then?
I don't think so. Many makers were offering them from the 30s till the mid 50s. They were seen on motorcycle jackets, aviators and coats. Think of block bilt, Trojan, Harley Davidson, D Lewis, Ralph Pughs, Seattle Woolen, Score / Shields, Beck. Many more.

DD68DAA1-849D-4034-8716-F338F0A02BEE.jpeg
21E76C8A-AD9D-4863-9635-23C50EF7E920.jpeg

maybe they just brought them into popularity then?

I never said they invented it; Plenty of makers used the D-pocket decades before Buco in an even more intricate manner, as @Marc mndt demonstrated.

Real McCoy did, however, re-introduce it with their J-24 as the feature was mostly forgotten. Not altogether but rarely anyone would implement it into the lancer-front style after the 50's. Interestingly enough, it was rediscovered during the 80's with Lee Trevor, Avirex, Diesel, etc. bringing it back but it didn't really caught on until RMC.

Schott can't be fully trusted but it is generally agreed that one of their first jackets was indeed a D-pocket and they only dug it up for a repro just a few years ago.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I never said they invented it; Plenty of makers used the D-pocket decades before Buco in an even more intricate manner, as @Marc mndt demonstrated.

Real McCoy did, however, re-introduce it with their J-24 as the feature was mostly forgotten. Not altogether but rarely anyone would implement it into the lancer-front style after the 50's. Interestingly enough, it was rediscovered during the 80's with Lee Trevor, Avirex, Diesel, etc. bringing it back but it didn't really caught on until RMC.

Schott can't be fully trusted but it is generally agreed that one of their first jackets was indeed a D-pocket and they only dug it up for a repro just a few years ago.
Don't you know, schott invented every jacket style that has ever existed haha?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I don't think so. Many makers were offering them from the 30s till the mid 50s. They were seen on motorcycle jackets, aviators and coats. Think of block bilt, Trojan, Harley Davidson, D Lewis, Ralph Pughs, Seattle Woolen, Score / Shields, Beck. Many more.

View attachment 478746 View attachment 478747

This image Advertises the jacket as '40s. The zip was invented and designed in the early 40 but in reality, the zipper if original to the jacket, did not start to show up un till 1950 in the civilian market. Trojan was making money with the civilian population. By looking at the jacket, The hide is very consistent to the hide in 50's Cal leathers. Kind of think of it, it looks exactly like my 50's Cal leathers. What do you guys think? I have seen mainly the crown #10 none spring sliders in 40's garments. I however have seen many #5 and #7 crown sliders in 40's clothing. I remember trojan's location in East Los in the early 70 when their production was strong. I will ask my friend who sold to them and others back in the day. Maybe he can share some insight regarding trojan and others (bates).

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Because they're not. Here's a late 30s Leathertogs d pocket.

View attachment 478745

And an early/mid 30s one

View attachment 478744
Love jackets. Really simple and functional. Personally, I like the snap at the hem. Buco added it to some but strongly enough it was finally used with their last production of j24L. These snaps help to keep the jacket secure but also aids to release the stress on the zipper male pin.

Last edited:

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 478746 View attachment 478747
The main zip and lining match the Japan this morning for $3,350
7.jpeg
3.jpeg
Trojan that sold on eBay

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members