Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hitler Assassination Plotter dies at 90

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
He lived to tell the tale - for six decades.

Hitler Plot Survivor Dies Aged 90

"The last known survivor of a group of German army officers who tried to assassinate Adolf Hitler in 1944 has died aged 90, his family says.
Philipp von Boeselager provided the explosives used to pack a briefcase planted under a table in the Nazi leader's East Prussia headquarters."
(BBC)

MD11

Familiar Face
K.D. Lightner said:
Interesting. I thought those guys were all caught and killed.

karol

The plot extended quite deeply into the German Wehrmact.. Some were active in their plotting and were sort of "leaders" of the movement like von Boeselager and von Stauffenberg, and others were to some level interested or supportive of his removal by any means. A good part of the senior leadership of the Heer was in some way supportive, or at least silent about their knowledge including Fieldmarshal s von Manstein, Rundstedt, List, and von Leeb, as well as high ranking Generals Guderian, and Halder both of whom were at one time Hitlers Chiefs of Staff and preview to his madness first hand. The Prussian mentality wasn't very compatible with rebellion or treason which in effect is what they had to do to rid themselves of the tyrant.

as an aside, I'm torn about going to see the new Tom Cruse movie, as I like the idea of a movie on this subject but really hate the lead actor!

MD11

Familiar Face
Baron Kurtz said:
The grandfather of an undergraduate in my lab was involved in such a plot (i think this one) and was indeed caught and dealt with.

bk

btw, there were more than 20 different plots to kill Hitler, only the one was remotely close and this is why it got the historical attention it did. There 2nd closest was a former member of the SS and who snuck a bomb into his person and was trying to work his way up to greet Hitler at a rally prior to 1939 and last minute Hitler cancelled the engagement.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When you think that even the head of German intelligence, Admiral Canaris, was actively working against the Nazis, it's amazing they were able to put up such a fight at all.

MD11

Familiar Face
dhermann1 said:
When you think that even the head of German intelligence, Admiral Canaris, was actively working against the Nazis, it's amazing they were able to put up such a fight at all.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/canaris.html

Correct, his aid to the allies was critical; alas he was one of the few hi-ranking officers that didn't get away with it, and met the same fate as Rommel and Beck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24