Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HNC Hatworks (formerly known as Agnoulita Hats)

Have you had a chance to shape this to your liking yet. I’d like to see the results.

I’ve tweaked the brim a bit and like it much better. I have yet to tackle the crown. I’m not sure it has the height for the crease I want, but no doubt in the middle of summer when it’s too hot to wear felt I’ll get around the reshaping the crown too.

I got my first hat from these folks yesterday. It's the Phaeton "retro homburg/fedora" in Desert, with an additional half-inch added to the brim.

I wanted a hat in an earth tone-felt with a wide black band... that will more or less match with all my black/gray/blue and brown/tan/OD jackets. And I've long been fascinated by the late 1800s/early 1900s homburg-evolving-into-fedora style, especially after recently seeing some great ones in The Alienist and The Gilded Age.

My initial observations:

Materials and construction are pretty similar to my Akubra hats, though the rabbit felt isn't pounced as smooth as my Akubras. Since they don't use standard sizing, I measured my head very carefully and surprised myself by getting something closer to a 7 (56) than my usual 7-1/8 (57) - and it's turned out to be just a hair large. I assume the sweatband will shrink a bit with wear. Anyway, better a bit large than too small.

My only (very minor) complaint with the hat construction is that the sweatband seems to be sewn in a little low: it visibly protrudes a hair from the brim. None of my Akburas, Stetsons, etc., are like this.

I took some quick selfies, but I need to do better shots in open shade rather than full sun to show the color more accurately. Plus, since taking those pics I've been curling in the sides of the brim (which I specified to leave floppy), and it looks much snazzier that way than just flat.

View attachment 494648 View attachment 494649

But I gotta say, for under $200 including international shipping, and with a fair amount of customization options for a factory production hat... I think this one's a keeper.

One of the odd things with Agnoulita is that you have to ask for what many of us just assume. If you would have asked for a finely pounced felt with a smooth finish they probably would have done it and not have charged extra for it.

I got my first hat from these folks yesterday. It's the Phaeton "retro homburg/fedora" in Desert, with an additional half-inch added to the brim.

I wanted a hat in an earth tone-felt with a wide black band... that will more or less match with all my black/gray/blue and brown/tan/OD jackets. And I've long been fascinated by the late 1800s/early 1900s homburg-evolving-into-fedora style, especially after recently seeing some great ones in The Alienist and The Gilded Age.

My initial observations:

Materials and construction are pretty similar to my Akubra hats, though the rabbit felt isn't pounced as smooth as my Akubras. Since they don't use standard sizing, I measured my head very carefully and surprised myself by getting something closer to a 7 (56) than my usual 7-1/8 (57) - and it's turned out to be just a hair large. I assume the sweatband will shrink a bit with wear. Anyway, better a bit large than too small.

My only (very minor) complaint with the hat construction is that the sweatband seems to be sewn in a little low: it visibly protrudes a hair from the brim. None of my Akburas, Stetsons, etc., are like this.

I took some quick selfies, but I need to do better shots in open shade rather than full sun to show the color more accurately. Plus, since taking those pics I've been curling in the sides of the brim (which I specified to leave floppy), and it looks much snazzier that way than just flat.

View attachment 494648 View attachment 494649

But I gotta say, for under $200 including international shipping, and with a fair amount of customization options for a factory production hat... I think this one's a keeper.

Nice looking hat too.

GarySev

New in Town
I'm new here; salutations to everyone!

This weekend I placed an order on Etsy.com for one of Agnoulita Hats' "Homburg Hat, The ONYX" which is rabbit fur and comes with a two colored brim (i.e., you select a different color for the under brim as an accent). I ordered the hat in all black, with Royal Blue under brim color.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/899552088/homburg-hat-the-onyx-double-tone-fedora?click_key=7a1313fabfe51e1fd973ada17cb059b01a1c16eb:899552088&click_sum=cefb521a&ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

View attachment 489363

Within the 'personalization' portion of the order, I requested LONG OVAL for my head shape, EXTRA-STIFFENING for the crown and brim, and asked for the brim to be pulled down in the front and back a little, which should give the hat's brim a slight arched or crowned appearance when viewing it from the side.

I selected this hat from Agnoulita's Etsy.com offerings due to the two-colored brim option for Hamburgs not being listed as an option on the HNC website. Can't help to wonder why that is?

Anyway, I look forward to sharing with you what finally arrives at my doorstep and my initial impressions of Mr. P's latest work. It is because of the many positive write-ups regarding Agnoulita Hats which I found in this forum that I decided to give them my business.

~Gary
Today I received a message from Mr. P. via Etsy.com. He stated, "I believe we've got exactly what you asked for. Please do let me know as soon as you receive it." I also received a DHL Shipping notice to my email from HNC Hatworks. Estimated delivery date is March 14th. I'm VERY excited to receive the custom Homburg ONYX hat.

Today I received a message from Mr. P. via Etsy.com. He stated, "I believe we've got exactly what you asked for. Please do let me know as soon as you receive it." I also received a DHL Shipping notice to my email from HNC Hatworks. Estimated delivery date is March 14th. I'm VERY excited to receive the custom Homburg ONYX hat.

DHL is amazing. They average about five business days from Greece to my office in California. The fact that shipping is included in the base cost of Agnoulita’s hats is equally amazing.

My latest. I’m embarrassed to say I forgot what color of felt I decided on. I was going back and forth and I don’t recall my final choice. It might be caribou or navy or???? The ribbon color is iron, I do know that. The brim is 3 ¼” wide measured after the curl. The felt is very nice for rabbit. The open crown is 5 ¾ inches and strikes a great balance between western firm and dress soft. EDIT: the felt color is “dark slate.”

AE9CA87B-44AC-4EBF-B3D4-2FE4EA4F9C97.jpeg
9CF4E3B9-F90B-4DCA-8F52-EFDA332FE304.jpeg
5D449DC4-4814-4654-AEAE-2A8818F15884.jpeg
DBAF8C9B-21A8-41CF-8ED1-657F3930A643.jpeg
3C065B62-8667-4426-820A-492E6086C92F.jpeg
E88AAF34-39C8-4E03-A8BC-B1B2D53CB349.jpeg

I didn’t see Mr. P’s inscription on the liner until I was photographing the hat: a thoughtful and appreciated touch.

I’m leaving it open crown for now as the 5 ¾” open crown is somewhat limiting on creases that I like.

Last edited:
DHL is amazing. They average about five business days from Greece to my office in California. The fact that shipping is included in the base cost of Agnoulita’s hats is equally amazing.
Do you have to pay any brokerage, handling, duty or taxes to DHL?

The issue for up here in Canada is anything shipped to me from Europe or USA via courierI get nailed with exhorbitant charges from the courier for the above reasons. It can add 25% or more to the cost of the goods. Sending via USPS it lands on my doorstep with no additional charges. Takes a bit longer but sooo much cheaper. I love USPS!

GarySev

New in Town
My latest:

View attachment 498245 View attachment 498248 View attachment 498250

I didn’t see Mr. P’s inscription on the liner until I was photographing the hat: a thoughtful and appreciated touch.

I’m leaving it open crown for now as the 5 ¾” open crown is somewhat limiting on creases that I like.
Brent, WOW! That looks very nice, and Mr. P's inscription on the interior lining is a wonderful and thoughtful touch. CONGRATULATIONS on yet another handsome and stylish hat! Mine should be arriving on my doorstep any day now.

Do you have to pay any brokerage, handling, duty or taxes to DHL?

The issue for up here in Canada is anything shipped to me from Europe or USA via courierI get nailed with exhorbitant charges from the courier for the above reasons. It can add 25% or more to the cost of the goods. Sending via USPS it lands on my doorstep with no additional charges. Takes a bit longer but sooo much cheaper. I love USPS!

No fees or duties. It was less than $170 and that included shipping. Shipping took five business days from Greece! FAST! The weakening dollar has pushed the hat to $222 US. Before, it was a custom hat at Akubra costs: who could say no? ;)

Brent, WOW! That looks very nice, and Mr. P's inscription on the interior lining is a wonderful and thoughtful touch. CONGRATULATIONS on yet another handsome and stylish hat! Mine should be arriving on my doorstep any day now.

Mr. P is a great guy. I’ll definitely meet up with him when I make it to Greece. He has always been very kind and generous.

Looking forward to seeing your new Agnoulita.

GarySev

New in Town
How much thickness does the extra layer of blue create? Is the thickness really noticeable?
Honestly, I am not able to tell you because this is my very first dress hat. I don't believe there is any noticeable thickness difference with the brim when I pinch it with my fingers. . . for all I know one side of the same pelt could have been dyed the royal blue and the other black (in other words, it may be just a single thickness). The brim doesn't "feel" thick or unusual to me, but I'm largely ignorant. But with that said, I ordered the hat to have extra stiffness both in the crown and with the brim. I also asked that he pull down the front and back of the brim, to give the hat's brim a slight curve or arch when viewed from the side, but if Mr. P did that, it's almost unnoticeable (which is the only small disappointment).

I requested the hat be shaped for a long oblong head. My P did an exemplary job in that regard. He did it so well, that. . . the hat is actually slightly too big when I place it on my head. My fault; I ordered a size slightly larger than what I measured my head to be (following his website's instructions) for fear that due to the shape of my head and the extra stiffness that I requested, the hat might slightly pinch front and back. Alas, such wasn't the case. So I have inserted hat foam tape all the way around, under the leather headband, which has the hat fitting perfectly if not a wee-bit snug (I might remove a portion of the foam tape at a later time).

Honestly, I am not able to tell you because this is my very first dress hat. I don't believe there is any noticeable thickness difference with the brim when I pinch it with my fingers. . . for all I know one side of the same pelt could have been dyed the royal blue and the other black (in other words, it may be just a single thickness). The brim doesn't "feel" thick or unusual to me, but I'm largely ignorant. But with that said, I ordered the hat to have extra stiffness both in the crown and with the brim. I also asked that he pull down the front and back of the brim, to give the hat's brim a slight curve or arch when viewed from the side, but if Mr. P did that, it's almost unnoticeable (which is the only small disappointment).

I requested the hat be shaped for a long oblong head. My P did an exemplary job in that regard. He did it so well, that. . . the hat is actually slightly too big when I place it on my head. My fault; I ordered a size slightly larger than what I measured my head to be (following his website's instructions) for fear that due to the shape of my head and the extra stiffness that I requested, the hat might slightly pinch front and back. Alas, such wasn't the case. So I have inserted a hat foam tape all the way around, under the leather headband, which has the hat fitting perfectly if not a wee-bit snug (I might remove a portion of the foam tape at a later time).
Creating the front and rear tilt to the brim is an easy fix if you want to try it. If you have an iron with a burst of steam feature or a hand held clothing steamer just give the brim at the front and rear a goodly shot of steam and with a hand at 12 and 6 o'clock gently bend the brim downward until you reach the desired amount of dip. When I am making that style for a client that is what I do after the brim is curled and the brim is still flat.

GarySev

New in Town
Creating the front and rear tilt to the brim is an easy fix if you want to try it. If you have an iron with a burst of steam feature or a hand held clothing steamer just give the brim at the front and rear a goodly shot of steam and with a hand at 12 and 6 o'clock gently bend the brim downward until you reach the desired amount of dip. When I am making that style for a client that is what I do after the brim is curled and the brim is still flat.
Thank you for the recommendation and instructions! I will definitely give that a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ