Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holes in a hat?

qwerty

Familiar Face
Is it posible to rapair holes in a fedora? My hat is developing a small tear in the place where crown and brim meet in front of the hat. It is probably becouse I fliped the brim down in front.
But what will happen next? Will that turn into a hole? If that happens is there anything I can do about it?

Aerol

A-List Customer
hole in head

Does your hat fit? Is it a little snug, and you pull the front of the brim to seat the hat on your head?

If so, the answer is obvious; buy hats that fit!

Lorne

One of the Regulars
fixing a hole, where the rain gets in...

Dear Qwerty,

I think its time to take your hat on a long walk into the woods, and put it to sleep. There is no way I know of to patch felt, or re-weave it. The tear is also where it's most visible, at the crown/brim interface, so there isn't any way to hide it.

It had a full life, all things must pass, everything has a season, yadda yadda.

Lorne

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
If the hat looks like a loss anyway, try experimenting.
Try stitching it with needle and thread from the inside. Or you might try :eek: an iron on patch from the inside. If nothing works, then use it as a beater for yard work, fishing, or whatever.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Aerol said:
Does your hat fit? Is it a little snug, and you pull the front of the brim to seat the hat on your head?

If so, the answer is obvious; buy hats that fit!

Wow, there's a tone I am not used to experiencing here! :eusa_doh:

Anyhow, if you have written it off, let me experiment on it. Perhaps I can do something.

D

qwerty

Familiar Face
Guys, it is not that extreme. It is just on the surface. The rip is deep just a quarter of thinkness of the brim. An it is 2mm long.
The question should have been what can I do to make it stop deteriorating, or at least to slow it down.
Are there any special glues that can help?
Common, hats are more robust than that.

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
I've had pretty good luck with sticking a small piece of carpet tape over the rip, from behind the rip, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart