Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holiday Baking

Kim_B

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:
Sounds divine. I wonder why they call it Monkey Bread?

I think because it is sticky and gooey and when you eat it, you kind of pull it apart...at least that's what my mom always told me :)

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
I think because it is sticky and gooey and when you eat it, you kind of pull it apart...at least that's what my mom always told me :)
Good answer! I always wondered myself...the only thing I could think of was, it is so easy a monkey could make it... nothing against monkeys, I promise! :p

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
Maple Yule Logs

This is the one cookie I can't live without during Christmastime :p
I just made them last night too.

Cookies:
3/4 cup butter (soft)
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp Maple Extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Flour

Cookies: Mix butter until soft, beat in brown sugar until mixture is fluffy. Add egg, Maple extract, and salt. Beat well. Add Flour. Separate dough to form 2 disks, cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour. Divide each disk into 4 parts, roll each part into logs and cut 2 inch pieces. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 365 degrees for 6 minutes. Allow cookies to cool.

Icing:
1/4 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp maple extract
3 Tbl milk

Icing: Beat butter and maple extract. Add powdered sugar and mix well. Add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until you get desired consistancy. You could also sprinkle chopped nuts on these cookies if you like. This recipe should yield about 50 cookies.

Reading over the directions it sounds like a lot of work but really they are pretty easy to make and well worth it. But if you really want to save some time you could buy a can of vanilla frosting and mix in 1 tsp of the maple extract. I have done that before and they turned out really well.

Donna/Dante

New in Town
Late, late reply to this thread

I make fruitcakes every year. No peel, no citron, no nuts. The fruit soaks for two days in a mixture of aged bourbon and mexican vanilla. After baking, the mini loaves are 'fed' weekly with the recipient's choice of aged bourbon or aged rum. I send these fruitcakes all over the country instead of cards, and the list of folks who want them gets longer every year. I had to bake a double batch this time around! :)

This year I also made gingerbread bars with cream cheese icing, and bourbon-currant cutout cookies. I love to cook and bake.

(I'm hoping this next question isn't off topic, could one of the bartenders let me know?)
I was wondering, does anyone else here collect (and hopefully cook out of) vintage cookbooks? I have a small collection of cookbooks from the 40s and 50s, and enjoy cooking and baking recipes from them.

-d

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome Donna/Dante! I collect vintage cookbooks. I started cooking and baking from them when I was still in high school. We carried them from Atlanta with us when we moved North in the 60s and they were old then. Yes, I come from a frugal family. :) There is a thread about using old recipes or cookbooks but I'll let someone else look it up. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy