Holy Grail of vintage suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Marc Chevalier, Jul 15, 2011.

1. The lapels would suggest the turn of the 30s/40s. Due to the 2-button closure, I'd be leaning to the earlier part of that range. But with a bespoke suit, who knows. Certainly in that time range, though.

bk

2. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

Plus, it is a Macintosh suit, so it would have been off-the-rack.

3. YETI

YETI A-List Customer

I recall selling Art Fawcett a 1939 fall/winter MTO suit catalog many years ago. One of the design features offered was that pleated sleeve. Perhaps a fellow lounger could share scans of the catalog. When I showed Art the catalog he immediately pointed out the pleated sleeve detail in the pic. BTW, he owned like 40 vintage suits from the 1930s... at least.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. redheads'n'truckbeds

redheads'n'truckbeds New in Town

That's what we figure, 30s/early 40s. (The suit in question belongs to a bud of mine).

5. YETI

YETI A-List Customer

6. YETI

YETI A-List Customer

My bad...just check out skyvue's post in the thread.

I guess the suit with the pleated sleeves was geared towards the younger college crowd.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  7. Chrome

Chrome One of the Regulars

Reminded me of this Gable outfit.
    [video=youtube;_wHfSb2xz2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wHfSb2xz2M[/video]

I really like those pockets, really makes it say country in american way without being cowboy.

8. resortes805

It's actually more of an urban, hep, 'Hollywood' style, than country or western style.

9. Chrome

Chrome One of the Regulars

I knew it :D

To me those large pockets bring out more country than city, I think that particular film also lingers in my head :) . Hep-part I do agree as it is much wilder than more traditional western-style cut suits. I guess most traditional western suits are more urban than rural suits anyhow.

Hmm.. what I mean is that particular suit in my opinion is really beautiful and to me it bring western vibes because of the pockets.

10. resortes805

You got a point; they are referred to as 'saddle' pockets, after all!

11. That's what made me think Western, too. The saddlebag pockets aren't often seen on normal business suits, but look at Western suits from the 40s, 50s and 60s. Saddlebag pockets all over the place!

12. resortes805

I just caught The Cotton Club on cable again last night. The silhouette of this suit is nearly identical to one worn by Gregory Hines.

13. Another one posted on behalf of a friend. Another one some of you may have seen in person. Cream shantung silk, made by Stadler & Stadler, one of the so-called “New York Twelve” top tailors of the 1920s and '30s. (The other eleven were H. Harris, Wetzel, Twyeffort, Bernard Weatherill, Emsley, Schanz, F.L. Dunne, Dunhill Tailors, Rosenthal-Maretz, Earl Benham, and Pat Sylvestri.)

The suit has extraordinary details and workmanship. Everything about the waistcoat is astonishing. 4 patch pockets on such a relatively formal suit is a wonderful idea. I love the asymmetric flaps on the lower pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

Wow! That's one hell of a suit. Do you have more detail shots of the trousers? Is the sleeve cuff folded back or seamed on to a shorter sleeve to simulate a cuff? How about the jacket back?

15. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

Amazing waistcoat. :eusa_clap I second Nick's questions.

16. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

I just noticed the side 'pleats' on the trousers are actually darts. I have a 40s trouser pattern I use a lot with this feature, though I think this is the first time I've seen it on a vintage original. I usually leave the dart as a pleat when I use the pattern, but it does work nicely.

17. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

looks like a seam.

if the reclusive owner of this suit is reading: why not simply join the FL then you could answer questions and tell us more about the suit !

18. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

Yes, after looking closer I see the allowance. Easier to match the grain, too.

19. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

What is the date on this suit?

P.S. Love the waistcoat.

20. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes, indeed another holy grail suit. Many great details you usually don't see bundled on one suit.