Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

T Rick

Practically Family
There are custom hat makers that can make you a nice hat for a very similar price to the Nostalgia - check out Falcon Park Hattery for example. Bowlerman, here on the forum just received a super hat from the Falcon Park guy - do a search and you'll find his pics. Bowlerman's hat has that tall crown 30's look as do the hats I have from Tumwater Hat (a little more expensive, but really good value, I'd say!)

Also, in my opinion, the Federation IV is a way better hat than the Nostalgia was and tons of people here have purchased from Hats Direct with no problems. I haven't bought from them personally, but I bought a Campdraft hat from Everything Australian with no issues.

I'd say you have plenty of options if you want to get a new hat.
I also wouldn't be at all concerned about buying from Hats Direct (also have the Heritage Campdraft), no issues.

As to how the Fed IV compares with the Nostalgia, I can't say as I've never handled (or seen in person) a Fed IV. But some threads I've read here comparing the two directly have led me to believe that they are fairly similar (at least in profile/dimension). Presuming their felt texture is the same as my Campdraft (Heritage grade) and Camp Draft (Imperial grade), I'd say the Stetson has the edge in the hand of the felt. Might not be as durable, though it seems fine from a quality point of view. But the felt is maybe just slightly softer (it may be my imagination, just stroked each as I write this, and they are quite similar). I think either is a great option.

Being as the Fed is available, currently made and in a few more colors, that's the way I would go at this point (unless you can find a Nostalgia for less and/or it is the color you'd want).
I agree wholeheartedly on the Nostalgia. Mine's not my favorite hat- my '63 Open Road holds that honor, but the Nostalgia is a close 2nd.

I call HatCo every few weeks looking for a brown one in my size. I love 'em.

-Brando
Would you be a 7 1/8? I've called at least once a month since getting my Caribou Nostalgia, they've had black (which I now wish I'd bought!) but not Mink (brown). Haven't even seen a picture of a brown one anywhere yet.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
I've got one in the works but had the ribbon band changed to a Playboy style treatment.
My inspiration is my VS Custom Blue Smoke, ArtLite "Wanderer" =
VSWan7.jpg

That pic has got me eyeballing my Federation. Hmmm.....

Brando11

A-List Customer
I haven't seen a brown Nostalgia anywhere except on the Forum. I'm a 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 depending on the hat.

That said, my current Holy Grail (as of today) is a VS Barnstormer. Can't stop looking at 'em-

This is a very dangerous website.

All the best-
-Brando

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I love how the Major pimped up the Fed - that's a fantastic looking hat.
What's the little pin thingy on the bow?

T Rick

Practically Family
Nice! Which color is your Fed? (And which iteration of the Fed is it?). I like the work the Major did, very classy.

Now of course, we'll get back to the "grail" hats. Another of mine would be the (now sold out :() VS Sportaire in green. Rusty, I believe you've got that one too, no?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I had always wanted a Howard Hughes style Aviator fedora.
This is the pin I placed on this hat.

goose2.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Wearing-Today&p=917680&viewfull=1#post917680

That's great - I had the chance to go and see the Goose while it was still in Long Beach - seemed enormous sitting there in that oversize shed.

Now of course, we'll get back to the "grail" hats. Another of mine would be the (now sold out :() VS Sportaire in green. Rusty, I believe you've got that one too, no?

T Rick, Art can still make Sportaires, I think it is just that felt ribbon combo that is sold out. I'd bet he could make you a green one if you chose a different ribbon.

He made me a Silverbelly Sportaire recently which is one of my favorite hats.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic:

Here is what I had Major Moore do to my Federation. Trimmed the brim to 2 5\8s and then bound the edge.

ab001k.jpg

That is fantastic. I want pretty much that in mooonstone. It would be the perfect multi use fedora for me.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Though not a big Vintage fan, I'd have to put a Stetson 100 Open Road from the late '50s as a "grail" for sure. Complete with it's "suitcase" style box of course :)
But at the top of the list would be one of VS's Sportaire's like this one:

Sportaire_11.jpg

It would be the "perfect " hat :)

T Rick

Practically Family
DJH said:
T Rick, Art can still make Sportaires, I think it is just that felt ribbon combo that is sold out. I'd bet he could make you a green one if you chose a different ribbon.

He made me a Silverbelly Sportaire recently which is one of my favorite hats.

Well, I knew the model was listed as sold out. And it was a limited edition. But I did figure, he's a Custom Hat Maker. If I want a certain hat, I am sure he can make it. Might require me to change a thing here or there so that it's not an exact replica of the limited edition, but probably wouldn't need to change much (was thinking a different bow, same color combo). I was actually thinking of contacting him late in the Summer to see about just that. Thanks for the thought reinforcement! :D

Though not a big Vintage fan, I'd have to put a Stetson 100 Open Road from the late '50s as a "grail" for sure. Complete with it's "suitcase" style box of course :)
But at the top of the list would be one of VS's Sportaire's like this one:

Sportaire_11.jpg

It would be the "perfect " hat :)

You guys are killin' me! That IS a stupendous hat. As the current slang goes, it's just stupid. (Stupid now being a GOOD thing, as in excessively cool. Sort of like how "bad" became a "good" thing a few decades back).

Last edited:

hubbit

New in Town
:eek:fftopic:

Here is what I had Major Moore do to my Federation. Trimmed the brim to 2 5\8s and then bound the edge.

ab001k.jpg

Okay, that is a serious slice of awesome right there. I wouldn't be interested in a brim trim, but what did he charge for the edge binding? Presume something small, like a 6 ligne ribbon? It really adds dash to the hat.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Really the only non-custom hat I would enjoy picking up, if I ever came across one, would be a mink Nostalgia to go along with my caribou one.

Granted I could get a slightly higher crown version made by any of the custom hatters, and probably will, but there is just something about the Stetson name that makes it fun to wear. I had big plans earlier in the year for picking one up this fall (before I heard they were discontinued :eusa_doh:), taking a bit off the brim and throwing on a black ribbon, but I think I’d keep it in the original format now and just wear it till it falls apart if I ever do get one.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Speaking of Stetson 100s, I just saw an old movie called "Spencer's Mountain" with Henry Fonda, probably 1950s. He sports an Open Road-like hat which is very clean and crisp. It would surprise me if that were not a Stetson 100. I mean if you're a movie star in a movie, why wouldn't they shoot for the top of the line?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have recently obtained one of my Holy Grail hats. It's my first vintage hat as well as my first velour. Thanks Mayserwegener!

untitled.jpg

This is a interesting one. I am thinking early 60s. The green velour felt is very lush and pliable. It has a high crown, wide brim, no taper with Trachten elements.

3726096561_65015703d7_b.jpg

3726903160_f21da35e80_b.jpg

3726097245_7337f575a1_b.jpg

3726903462_0d2d7500ab_b.jpg

3726903380_936fdd9f9c_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ