Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

T Rick

Practically Family
WOW, that is a SUPER hat!!! And the Seller was wrong on the brim size (figures...). An extra 1/8 inch really can make a difference. In this case, it might have cost you a bit more money had I known ;). Glad you got it, glad it is everything you were hoping (and it got there fast!). Enjoy!

HatsEnough

Banned
Thanks, Neo. I am happy. Tho my wallet is empty!

T-Rick, on that brim, I thought the seller had to be wrong. The poor photos he had up told me that brim had to be a 2-3/8 at least. Glad I was right because 2-1/4 would not have been nearly as nice.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Well, we're getting near the end of the year and I listed my Grail hats back in July.

Been pretty successful in tracking them down:

Borsalino Rollable - with that little fan shaped tin.

Thanks Aureliano! Oh, our old friend, HatsEnough was correct, it isn't a tin. It is indeed made of cardboard. Still really cool though.

D329365-L.jpg

D329352-L.jpg

Old Silverbelly Open Road

Got close with a Stetson 50, even though it doesn't say Open Road on the sweatband and it isn't that old.

D328190-L.jpg

Nice condition green Whippet

The Bluegrass Whippet I got from RLK will do nicely - thank you Robert!

D329627-L.jpg

I'd also like to treat myself to a high quality Panama from Optimo or the bloke in Hawaii too!

Hmm...

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I'm pining for that tan Marathon that Robert scored recently.

I'd also like to find a black fedora that doesn't look funereal, and a Stetson Flagship now that I've seen JTL's superb example. 7 1/2's are so tough to come by . . .

facade

A-List Customer
Mine would be a silver belly Knox 40 from the era when $40 was the absolute top of the line and silver belly meant fur from the belly and not just a color choice. Second choice would be a Knox 100.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Wow, I just reviewed my "Holy Grail" from back on page 12 and man, my tastes have changed! Back then I said I couldn't justify Optimo's prices. Now my dream hat is a silver belly Optimo 1000 in the Cagney style. :eusa_doh: I should have my head examined.

I do still want an Artlite fedora though... -M

DJH

I'll Lock Up
David, where did you get the foldable black Borsalino! That's an amazing score!! Green with envy... ;-)

Thanks - it is actually Borsalino's dark blue (really nice colour).

I bought from one of our fellow Loungers who posted it over in the Classifieds. I think most of my vintage hats were previously owned by other members here - I find the Classifieds forum to be the best way to track down good hats.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Interesting to check back and see how everyone has done on the holy grail hat list as the year draws to a close. Nice work, David!

I got my boss of the plains, though no rolled brim, but I'm more than satisfied with it (Stetson Austral).
Most of my other acquisitions remain totally unrelated to the hats I have pined for. Still no quality John Bull, or flat top of any kind. Though they would be nice, I no longer pine for them. However, I'm still searching for sage!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I had always wanted a Howard Hughes style Aviator fedora.
This is the pin I placed on this hat.

goose2.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Wearing-Today&p=917680&viewfull=1#post917680

Hey RBH, I know this post is from a while back, but have you seen Penman's Howard Hughes reproduction?

I really want an Optimo Ox Blood hat. I do like the Depp Public Enemies hat, but that's what my Penman hat is modeled on. The hat I just ordered from Black Sheep Hat Works is going to be hand dyed to a color which is really darn close to that Ox Blood/Black Cherry felt.

And I kinda feel like I need an Open Road too....

Well look at that...I got both the Optimo and an OR.

Time to update the Grail list....hmm....7x Clear Beaver Open Road, or an Optimo 1000 Silverbelly.

TomS

One Too Many
I'd like to find something from the 1930's in clean condition, in a 7 1/2! I also lust over some of the Dilinger models I see around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ