Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg into fedora/fedora into homburg?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I bought a Dobbs Twenty with 2.5-inch brim with Cavanaugh rolled edge and slotted crown. To my untutored eye it looks to be a homburg as it sits. But it also appears to become a fedora with snap brim as I choose. The only obvious difference I can discern between it an my Borsalino fedoras is stiffness of its brim.

If possible from my description, please identify which it is.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Cavanagh or otherly-named felted edge makes it a fedora. Homburgs have a deeply curled brim edge that is asymmetrically bound in grosgrain ribbon.

Felted or Cavanagh edge

20230610_180503.jpg

Homburg brim with curl and bound edge

20230610_180610.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Dobbs Twenty with 2.5-inch brim with Cavanaugh rolled edge and slotted crown. To my untutored eye it looks to be a homburg as it sits. But it also appears to become a fedora with snap brim as I choose. The only obvious difference I can discern between it an my Borsalino fedoras is stiffness of its brim.

If possible from my description, please identify which it is.

John @moehawk is right. A defining characteristic of a homburg is the ribbon bound brim edge. The edge also has to be curled to be a homburg, but fedoras also can have curled brim edges. You can’t have a Cavanagh edge on a homburg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21